Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:46 pm 

Just back from Mt. Cardigan, NH...I was at the AMC hut at 7:30am and the sky was blue and the snow was light and dry. By noon the clouds were moving in and the new snow was turning to mush. It was raining in Manchester on my ride home. Here in Boston right now it's almost 50*. I'm crossing my fingers for more March snow.

(Thanks for the updates, VTBC and BigJay)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:22 am 

looks like we dodged a bullet. temps at elevation stayed below freezing the past couple days while temps in the valleys hit 38-40 degrees with breaks of sun and lots of melting in town. we're now looking for a cold front to move in tomorrow (mon) which will keep things cold for the upcoming week. this is good news and should keep mountain snowpack dry for another week, at least.

we've picked up anywhere from 10 to 22 inches over the past couple days and things are in GREAT shape. again, base depths on ridgelines currently range from 50 to 80 inches. almost everything is buried and high elevation glades are sick.

still snowing today and doesn't seem to want to stop, just fine w/ me. it's finally time to start hitting the REAL goods above treeline. wasn't so sure we'd even get there this season just six weeks ago.

enjoy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:56 pm 

Jay area is reporting more then 3ft of snow since Friday. The top of Jay is looking more and more like the 2001 winter! The stake on Mansfield is above average for this time of year. It's currently @ 80in when average gets it @ 67in

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=depths.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:50 pm 

conditions yesterday (mon) at stowe/smuggs were sick. skinned between resorts milking runs in the b/b's. waist deep, plenty of new snow. dry and deep. upcoming w/e looks to warm up. get on it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:39 pm 

any words on the adks? Looking to head there for friday into the weekend rain or shine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:20 am 

Anyone checked out the steeple (Stowe area)? Coming up this weekend, hopefully the temps stay low. Then again what the hell do I care I'm still going and not working. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:36 pm 

not sure about the dacks and the steeple may have been afftected by the winds. we hit jay today and northwest thru northeast aspects were all drifted and dense with long pillows from the past few days high winds, but still rideable and fun. skiers were hating it though. the winds overnight mellowed out a bit and today was bluebird and cold. all other aspects were in great shape. the steeple is a north aspect, so assume it's gonna be a wind affected, denser snowpack this week. i also know its been skied lately, but may still be good to go. you may be better off looking elsewhere, ie. lee slopes and east aspects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:06 pm 

Yeah I was up at Jay today too. It definitely got hit pretty hard by the winds in spots over the past few days, but damn Big Jay resembles Mount Washington.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 pm 

thanks vtbackcountry. You may save me a bad tour, espectially since this may be my only trip up north this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:19 pm 

So I believe today Mr Drew Lawton (an LSC split hero) may have made history for the Jay area. Many of you may have stumbled upon a large band of cliffs on the far skiers right of big jay... well I would like to announce it to the split community that today Drew successfully launched the largest cliff on big jay (and probably the jay area) which we estimated to be roughly 55ft. I understand that it is natural to be skeptical of cliff estimates, but next time you hit up the skin traverse to the green circle glades to take a peak toward the summit and pretty much he just launched what you can see from there (it's massive). I just thought I would mention this to you guys, because it was ridiculous and I'm still having a difficult time realizing what I witnessed today.

Anyways...

So the jay peak area most definitely had plenty of untracked goods up until today. a few parties set out for big jay but I'm sure if you hit it quick tomorrow, before yahoos get out there, it'll be sweet.

Heading up to Tuck's tomorrow. Report including snow pit tomorrow night...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:10 pm 

Today was a good day to be in the bowl, and of course everyone was like "those are weird looking skis", or "what do you can those things" , which my response is "Victoria on the right, Melissa on the left". So the everything was in good shape Sherburne, little headwall (although only from the cache down), and lobster claw variation left.

I dug a pit, on the right side of the pit, between right and lobster claw, which could only be dug 65cm deep due to a wicked knife layer and it was actually a bit low in the ravine to really get solid data out of, but nonetheless we found various layers one which slid with a CT15 (about 9 cm down). Forecasters are super worried about a deep layer that may release a ton of snow once it gets lubed up with the rain (which hit Gorham around 630?). So tomorrow will probably dicey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:20 am 

Sorry coyne86, just finished my avalanche class last week, and I'm confused by your terminology. CT15 is compression test, 15th shot... So this is with your shovel on top of the column, 10 wrist slaps done, and you are on your fifth hit swinging from the elbow, correct?

Thanks for the clarification,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:31 pm 

yeah totally. 10 from the wrist, 10 from the elbow, and ten from the shoulder. always make sure to keep the exerted force equal for all 10 hits. Where/with whom did you take your course with? The avalanche advisory today was for low avi danger, looks like the rain came and everything bonded via a morning freeze.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next