Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:07 am 

That is my wife's only complaint so far on her Venture - the top sheet.

We are thinking of applying a spray coat of enamel or something???

Any suggestions..

Other than that one issue, she loves the board, shape, flex, etc.

Post subject: Top sheet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:51 pm 

I haven't ridden mine yet (waiting on the pucks) but I can see what you mean about the rough top sheet keeping snow rather than letting it slide off.

So why not put a gloss coat of polyurethane over the rough surface? The rough texture is essentially similar to any fiberglass job before the gel/finish coat. Since its a flat horizontal surface it would be easy to apply/make look good assuming it adheres well. If the current top is polyurethane another coat would stick just fine.

Venture may have some ideas.

Its not something I'm gonna do until I have the problem in a worse way than I currently encounter with my Burton. Snow accumulation used to bug me alot but the glop on top factor doesn't seem to irritate me as much as it once did, maybe I just got used to it. Snow accumulation seems a greater problem with splitters because the snow on top can't spill off the side as quick as it accumulates in most skin tracks made by narrower skis.

If you come up with a cure beta the results

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:37 pm 

just got back from a silverton trip and almost every snowboard guide there shreds these boards (local advertising, i guess). the terrain in the saun juans is definatley a sick testing grounds. seems like they have a good thing going. i would have liked to demo one of their boards but had just purchased a neversummer titan that i couldnt part with! would be imtersted in hearing some more feedback on the venture boards.

Post subject: sweet ride
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:29 am 

I got on my Venture 161 last weeekend for a few rides in some unconsolidated corn/glop, didn't really know what to think considering the conditions.

After a few binding adjustments I got on it again Friday and Saturday on the mountain. Sweet, snappy ride. Didn't hurt that the corn from 10,000 on down was beyond primo.

Wasn't a cement pow day to evaluate the snow sticking to the topsheet issue but the stuff that was there didn't stick any more than on my Burton. Maybe a few inches of fresh cement this week so I feel obligated to take a few days off and test some more.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:10 pm 

Let me know any more thoughts you all may have. I rode the Divide at a test session for Backcountry magazine at Jay this weekend. I was very impressed at how tightly put together it was.

Any idea at exactly how light it was? I rode it with Will's new binding and was very impressed but am waiting a few days to write my report.

Thanks for any thoughts.

VTRider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:18 pm 

After limited testing in various snow conditions, it appears that using rub-on wax on the topsheet helps with the snow-sticking issue. The more I ride this board, the more I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:19 am 

There is a Divide 65 Wide (28cm) at Shata Base Camp with the clear topsheet. Didn't check the price, but I bet they would put it on sale.

Post subject: Saw that one
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:22 pm 

Saw the Venture wide ride at Basecamp: think it is on sale for somewhere in the mid 600 range.

Been on mine, 161 regular width, for about 10 or so tours so far, its a sweet ride.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:27 pm 

I'll be riding their Divide 165 this year as well as a Storm 170. I'll have my itchin lil paws on both of 'em mid November this year. I'll keep you all posted.

btw I rode Klem's 165 Storm last season - very nice shape, I think the best one they have for BM and Pow. I rode a Zephyr 165/med last season - liked it but the Storm was head and shoulders above it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:07 pm 

Rode the Euphoria on Silverton Mountain this past weekend.
Oh my god! What a great ride that was in the powder!!!
It was cutting effortless through the undisturbed white stuff, and it was performing still very well in chopped up pow and in the trees.

Next day I rode the Zephyr (their all-mountain board).
I think the specs are very similar to the Divide (their splitter)
It was also a very nice ride. I had it mounted all the way back and it floated very well in powder. And it handled all conditions on the mountain also great.

I would definitely take a closer look into the Venture Divide if you are in the business for a new splitter. They are not cheap I think (around $1200), but the company seems to produce a quality product and their efforts for saving the environment are highly appreciated.

P.S. minor detail: I am not sure what base or wax they used on this boards; but man I was just flying by all the skiers on the cat walks out. It was great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:27 pm 

I am looking to get a new non-split and I really like Venture's ethos and the fact that they are a Colorado boutique company. I'm wary of buying blindly without a demo, so I want to get some of your opinions.

I want a solid all-mountain board for two seasons: winter on the lifts, and big mountain descents in the springtime when the split becomes unneccesary. So I'm limiting my choices to the Zephyr or the Storm. Besides taper, what is the major difference between the two?

Second--size. My current (10 year old) nonsplit is 157cm. I've grown out of it my adult years. My split is a 173. I can get a Zephyr in 161 or 165. I'm leaning towards 165, but will it be too big?

I weigh 170 lbs. In the areas, I tend to seek out the deepest powder i can find, ride trees, and usually stay out of the park except for the big air jumps.

Thanks!

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:55 pm 

I've got a Divide 165, which has the same dimensions and flex as the Storm. I like this board so much that when I get some Sparks I'll probably rock it in-bounds on occasion, or backcountry that doesn't involve skinning. It is definitely designed for the riding you describe, though I haven't hit any big park kickers in it yet. Size-wise, I'm 175#. When I have a heavy pack in mellower terrain, I wish I had a longer board (which I probably would have bought if it were available at the time), but it's perfect without a heavy load. Hope this info helps. After years of riding NS boards, and swearing off any other brand, I'd say Venture is right there with performance and quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:29 pm 

No argument from me on quality, but I found the Divide to be a lot less damped than the NS (solid summit) I got to ride. Between the two, if you want more pop, it's a great board. If you want less, the NS is the way to go.

Shep