Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Review: Burton Cartel Bindings
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:09 pm 

Let me start by saying that I bought these at REI, and I'm glad I did.

These are more of a freestyle binding, but I decided to give them a shot. My boots are a little on the stiff side (Driver-X) and I wanted bindings with a little give to make up for that. They're about the same weight as the C-60, but cost quite a bit less. They also have a tall highback, which I like.

Took them out in the Ruth Mountain/Hannegan Pass area on Sunday.

In tour mode they are very comfortable. Over the course of about 12 miles of skinning they did not cause any discomfort. At the end of the day they still felt relatively light. The toe caps lifted off from time to time, but it wasn't noticeable when they did. The straps have screws with hinged flaps that lift up. They make it easy to adjust your straps without a tool, but they also pop up when you're touring. Didn't cause any major snags, trips or scratches, but they could in the right circumstances.

We ended up riding a north-facing coulior across from Hannegan Pass. It was a short ride, but narrow and pretty steep. The Cartel/Driver-X combo gave me pretty good control. I had no trouble driving the board through turns, so I'd say they're responsive and supportive enough for splitting.

The downside I've seen so far is in materials. The straps are really cush and nice, but the fabric looks like it will shred quickly. The foam padding on the highback and the base is showing wear as well. I don't expect these components to make it through the season without serious damage. Another concern is the toe strap without the ratchet. When the binding is attached to the Voile plate the strap can fall out the bottom if it's not buckled. It would be a total pain to lose it.

I'm going to keep riding the Cartels for now, as they're light and comfortable, but I'll probably trade them up for CO2s or C60s sometime in the future. Also interested in Catek strap bindings, the newer, lighter Flows, and the Nidecker Carbon 9s. Anybody ride these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:23 pm 

I've been riding a couple pairs of the Nidecker Carbon 900's for the last 3 seasons. Very damp, very comfortable, very simple, very heavy... No complaints from me. I never thought about the weight until I put them on the split. I think something more minimalist might work better there. I'm still in the cogitation phase about bindings for my split.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:08 pm 

Too bad those Nideckers are heavy, they looked pretty nice.

I'm still thinking through the binding setup too. Pretty sure I'll stick with straps. I'm fairly pleased with my Cartels, but I'm keeping my eyes open for something lighter, simpler and more durable.

The Catek freerides look pretty hot, but they also look like they have a lot of features (weight) that wouldn't be useful on a split. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate a simple aluminum body, then add factory highbacks and straps. With a splitboard the rotating baseplate isn't even necessary, unless you have a really wack stride when you're skinning.
Where do you like to ride in WA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:25 pm 

Just getting into splitting and BC riding so only mini-tours around Snoqualmie so far. Routinely riding the lifts at all the ShittayPass areas a few times a week(tonight was awful). Otherwise Crystal when it's good. I need to sack up and make the drive to Baker more often but I always end up at Crystal just because I know my way around better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:48 pm 

'07 Cartels (used 12 days)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:47 pm 

since 2oo5 LIFETIME WARRENTY on Burton Baseplates... not the whole binding just the baseplate.