Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feedback needed from Voile split riders........
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:32 pm 

I have a question for Voile owners. I just got my new 159 Voile split, and I rode it for the first time this weekend.

First of all, I am 5'5"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:33 pm 

hey man,

thanks for the post...i am curious to hear the replies. i have been thinkign about a the split decision and i would have to go with a 166. which is 6cm bigger than my new board. one of my friends, killclimbz rides a 166 but he's a bit bigger than myself.

i'd personally blame the snow because it was less than ideal. nothing carves through the chunks left after weekend traffic at berthoud! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:18 pm 

I have the 173, and in the pow I think that it rides pretty well. I am 5'11' 185# so a bit heavier than you. I do find the board to have a longer turning radius than some of my others. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:32 am 

I've been kicking around going with the 173 for my next board. My big worry is that I love darting through the trees which are often tight in spots. So I may just get another 166.

Francis, stick with it. The board is definitely a bit bigger than you're used to, and sitting a little higher above the board probably doesn't help. Make sure you have your bindings mounted as far back as possible to help with the nose dive. I was experiencing that quite a bit myself these past few outings. It's more to do with conditions as Will stated than your ability or the board. I know on my first outing with my split that I thought it was a bit squirrely and I had to get used to the slightly longer length than what I had been riding. It's all good now. You'll love the extra length in deep pow. That is why I am contemplating the larger board.
If anyone has any experience on the 173 and what you think of it in tight trees let me know. I suspect I'll just have to sack up and get one to get used to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:42 am 

I, by the way 160, jumped from my old 139 Resortboard (which was to short, today I wouldnt go under 150) to the 159 Voile (which is a bit large, but there is no smaller). At the beginning I needed a weekend to get used to it, and I still do need a day every saeson, than no difficulties except narrow treeruns. Resort riding helps a lot to get used to a longer board.
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:18 am 

You'll eventually get used to the length. If you set the stance back it may help with the nose dive, but it will make it harder to initiate turns. I'd leave the stance more centered, then it won't \"feel\" so long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:37 am 

I ride a 162 at the resort and own the voile 166 for my split. My first couple of rides it felt a bit long for me but I got used to it. Then I borrowed a 173 voile and am now wishing I had gone with the bigger board. Go bigger, get used to the feel and you will not want to go back to the short board. Any one have a 173 they want to trade for a 166?

Oh, by the way I am just about 6 foot, 150 pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:40 am 

Hey Just_me (dig the screen name btw)

you're 5'5\" but how much do you weigh? are you 125 wet and wearing boots or are you built like a brick! I'm 5'7\" and about 160-170 depending on how many donuts I've ate this week but...

I ride a 165 Prior for my split and its quite a bit stiffer than a Voile board. I find it ideal in powder but I'd prefer a 162 for the less than ideal conditions. My regular resort set ups are a 156 Zeplin and a 162 Recon Riser. I don't think I'd ever even buy a board under a 155 cm unless maybe you're willing to dump off that fish...but that is just me! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:32 pm 

Don't put your stance too far back, it'll be even harder to turn. The conditions make a difference though, practice in nice fluff so you can go faster confidently. Speed should take care of your tip dive. Worst case Prior makes splits in 149 and 154 as well as a split 156 Khyber(like a burton fish shape). You could easily sell the 159 and go smaller if the length doesn't ever feel good. I bet Never Summer could cut a board the right size for you, too.

Post subject: Splitboard length
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:32 pm 

I'm 5'5\" and 140 lbs. My K2 homemade split is 170+. I ride a 155-160 resort board. I'm in agreement - get the longer board and grow into it. A lot of the turn initiation & \"bringing it around\" issues can be improved with practice (at the resort or in the b/c). Some of this might be elementary but may be worth mentioning if it helps anyone:

1) Keep your front knee slightly flexed over your front toe just after you pass through the \"dead point\" (flat base ) when transitioning onto a new edge. This may help you initiate the turn with a bit more weight toward the nose, as ought be dun! As you drive the board through the turn, you should be moving the force from the nose at the beginning of the turn, to between the feet when your board is pointing straight down the hill, to the tail as you finish the turn and set up to unweight for the next one.

2) Make rounder, in-the-fall-line turns. Most of us, when we get freaked on steep slopes or in the trees, tend to bring our turns (especially heelside) around too far so as to bring our board almost perpendicular to the fall-line. Practice making rounder turns that finish closer to 45 degrees across the fall line instead of 90 degrees across it. When you're a little guy, its really hard to get a 170 back into the fall line after you throw it horizontal to cut speed. This will help you ride a bigger board more confidently in narrow chutes & trees.

Hope that wasn't too ski-nerd. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:22 pm 

I have one of the first 166 split decisions and I love it... to me the board often feels too short.last season I rode a 155 for awhile then bought a santa cruz 166... this season I got the 166 voile split. it took a little getting used to the board really wants to make large turns cause of the shallow side cut. make sure your angles are set properly casue that could contribute to your turning abilities as well. I ride 21 deg in front and 9 in back... my stance is set back pretty far and I have about a 21\" width on my stance I say ride it! you will soon love it I love mine. my next one will either be a 182 split 0r the 195 swallowtail from voile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:21 am 

Just me,

A good part of it is the board. I posted a review last year of my trip with a friend to Tucks with a Prior Split and Voile Split (I now own one of each) with identical bindings and stance. It was one of the best powder days in the bowl ever for me. And oth rode great. But on the way down to the parking lot, the trail was far less then perfect (a somewhat narrow trail (10'-15'wide) some POW, ice, crust, waterbars, etc). We switched boards half way down to get a comparison. And we both felt that the Voile was much more difficult to turn in those conditions. This is not a jib on the Voile Split. It's just that in "those"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:43 am 

Quote:
Make rounder, in-the-fall-line turns. Most of us, when we get freaked on steep slopes or in the trees, tend to bring our turns (especially heelside) around too far so as to bring our board almost perpendicular to the fall-line. Practice making rounder turns that finish closer to 45 degrees across the fall line instead of 90 degrees across it. When you're a little guy, its really hard to get a 170 back into the fall line after you throw it horizontal to cut speed.

This is huge. Great advice. I always tell beginers that speed is your friend. The board wants to be pointed down the fall-line and handles much better when it is. I know, easier said than done sometimes but something to work on for all of us.