Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: burton splitboard, series s
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:54 pm 

bcrider asked me to repost this, so here again:

This will be my first splitboard. I'd like to use it for day and multi-day yurt trips.

I see MountainGear has a sale on the Burton S Series:

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/produ ... /N/0#specs

Comments about it, anyone?

Thanks,

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:14 pm 

Great price, nice board. Buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:35 pm 

I agree with Eco.

The Burton S series was my first split, purchased about a year ago. I have about 15 days on mine so far in a variety of conditions, and am very pleased. My opinion is: go for it bro!

Don't forget to order the voile hardware kit as well. Enjoy!

Post subject: burton, series s
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:34 pm 

Ok... about the Burton S Series: they say

"Suggested Rider Weight Range: 150-205 pounds (162), 160-210+ pounds (168) "

This dude (i.e., me) weighs 185 naked... and I want to wear a pack into a yurt, even if thereafter I'm "streamlined"... should I go 162 or 168? (Note: like any amateur, I think I do better on a shorter board)

Jack12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:11 pm 

Quote:
This dude (i.e., me) weighs 185 naked... and I want to wear a pack into a yurt, even if thereafter I'm "streamlined"... should I go 162 or 168? (Note: like any amateur, I think I do better on a shorter board)

I'd think more about downhill mode when considering length. When packin in to the yurt with heavy pack, you'll be in split mode, and I don't think a few cm's will matter as much.

My advice is to go a little longer than your solid board. There's also several posts in the forum on the topic of board length.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:06 pm 

168 No Question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:31 pm 

Hey Jack, do you want to buy mine second hand? I plan on never riding it again so long as I call myself a snowboarder.

- Its limp and simply doesn't ride like a solid board in anything but soft deep snow or, sadly, a groomed run where it rides ok.
- The nose clip comes undone constantly (like every 100 meters), especially if there is any vibration in the board due to irregular snow, hard snow or high speed. Once it comes undone it causes board chatter like you wouldn't believe. Also makes it more than a bit dodgy to turn on hard, steep snow.
- Except at the tip and tail, there is a 2mm gap between skis in ride mode. You can see snow shooting up through the gap as you ride.
- If you hook a really hard turn in heavy pow you can feel the thing bend in half as your planing surface disappears from below you. Like trying to surf on an inflatable camping mattress.

It was my first split and I am out to replace it asap.

Sorry for the negative vibe. Strange how no one else has these issues. I expect a much tougher riding board for the money. In the last few days I took it over the back of some ridges in the Kicking Horse side country and the S-series rode like a novelty toy.

I make two concessions in my negative review:

1. it is probably only designed for easy riding conditions (powder). Its not designed for everything you want to throw down. [But there are way better powder specific splits out there]

2. I rode it in hard boots and its simply does not have the balls to stand up to the more powerful interface between rider and terrain. There has to be a match or balance in the components of the entire system and it was unfair to expect the Burton split to be up to the task. It was the weak point in the equation:

rider aggression ~ boot&binding rigidity ~ board power ~ terrain and snow intensity.

I am a light rider, 65kg + pack, of medium aggression, and was riding a 162.

Anyone can rip deep pow on an old soggy Burton Custom from 2001, so don't be sold by images of the S-series doing the same.

For sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:42 am 

I like the 162. I weigh 185. My first split was a Mountain Gun 05/06. Prefer the Burton. Mountain Gun is way stiffer. No complaints, no nose clip problems. I would buy it again. I ride powder mostly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:46 pm 

Lucky you. I'm back on snow shoes or skis until I arrange another split, which will take until May.

Riding powder makes it a better board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:52 am 

Hmm. I have one of the older Burton 165's from before they switched to the Voile hardware, and to me it rides great in all conditions. I don't ride hard boots though. Sounds like you'd be better off with a Mtn Gun. Some people I know who have those thought they were too stiff in most conditions, so you'd probably find it perfect. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:09 am 

Well, I always pay attention to a happy man :)

As for my splitting future: I've ordered a Never Summer Titan.

Although I am sure it could get down ok, just like any old board could, I wouldn't choose to take a Burton Custom solid board on half the challenging conditions I end up riding (by accident our by choice), so I am not at all surprised that the s-series let me down once I left the powder (or groomed runs).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:35 pm 

Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. :) But I've taken that thing down some challenging terrain/conditions out here and it seems good to me... but hey whatever works for ya.

Quote:
The nose clip comes undone constantly (like every 100 meters), especially if there is any vibration in the board due to irregular snow, hard snow or high speed. Once it comes undone it causes board chatter like you wouldn't believe. Also makes it more than a bit dodgy to turn on hard, steep snow.

I know what you mean! I have to constantly keep the bolts tight. I've lost a clip completely more than once. Here's a funny video that shows exactly what you're talking about (see the end of the vid):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4446792616

Post subject: Burton S
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:06 pm 

I ride mine in Scarpa Martix hardboots and love the ride in all conditions. To each their own appears the moral of this thread.

Andy