Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Life Saving Backpacks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:57 pm 

Out of all the ski/snowboard specific backpacks available today, only two mfg's are building backpacks that could save your life. Black Diamond and Deuter are the only mfg's making it safer for you to travel in the backcountry.

Black Diamond has integrated their AvaLung into two models of backpacks made for ski/snowboard touring. The integration of the AvaLung provides you a convient way to breathe while buried from an avalanche. By having an all-in-one design, you're always equiped.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/ge ... valung.php
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/ge ... valung.php

Deuter has integrated their Shield Back System into a model of backpack for ski/snowboard touring. It provides you protection against back injury caused from either a crash or being pumbled during an avalanche. Once again, the all-in-one design insures you're covered while deep in the backcountry.
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/produ ... &tert=snow
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/produ ... &tert=snow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:42 pm 

What about that one company with the Airbag system? I've heard nothin but good thing about it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:14 pm 

Splitfire wrote:
What about that one company with the Airbag system? I've heard nothin but good thing about it

I forgot about them! http://www.avalanchebackpack.com/

Correction - three backpacks exist that can save you life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:30 am 

Yoda wrote:
Splitfire wrote:

I forgot about them! http://www.avalanchebackpack.com/

Correction - three backpacks exist that can save you life.

i heard that pack is really heavy and has reduced capacity because of the airbag system. small price to pay i guess for possible saving you life. does anyone use one?

as far as the armour one goes is it really any different then other packs? maybe i need to see it to appreciate it

the avalung pack looks like kickass goodness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:52 am 

Here's some details on the Shield Back System - http://www.deuter.com/cms/front_content.php?idcat=131

No other packs on the market can offer this level of back protection. The Razor has been tested (and passed) for this application. Deuter also makes a pack for down-hill mtn. biking that offers the same protection - http://www.deuterusa.com/products/produ ... &tert=race

The avalanche packs are limited on volume and are heavy, but they do offer an interesting approach to avalanche safety. :D

Post subject: mouthpiece question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:46 pm 

So I've always wondered how the hell are you supposed to get the mouthpiece thing in your mouth and keep it in when the shit hits the fan. Seems like a great idea but for that one little problem.

Andy

Post subject: Re: mouthpiece question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:51 pm 

shasta wrote:
So I've always wondered how the hell are you supposed to get the mouthpiece thing in your mouth and keep it in when the shit hits the fan. Seems like a great idea but for that one little problem.

Andy

i could be wrong but i believe you put the mouthpiece in after you're burried, if you can. it takes air from around your body to help prevent suffication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:04 pm 

No you gotta get it in before your burried. After burial you can't move anything, even wiggle your fingers.

You can position the mouthpiece close to your mouth, so that all you need to do is move your head over and bite down (no hands necesarry). Or if your really sketched out you can do your line with the mouthpiece in. Although it may limit you breathing a bit.

I may invest in one next season...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:08 pm 

Nope, the official BD line is "As soon as you think you're in a risky situation, BITE THE S*** OUT OF THE LITTLE F*****!"*

Granted I've never been in an avalanche, but it's not a very long tube going from your shoulder to your mouth, and the jaw is one of the stronger muscles in the body, so I think you can probably keep it in there.

*-not actually what it says in the users manual, but they do recommend practicing skiing/riding with it in your mouth.

Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:24 am 

If you question the effectiveness, you should read this accounton ttips of a dude that was buried 7.5 feet deep and survived 20 minutes with an avalung.

Quote:
"I took the mouthpiece in my mouth as soon as I noticed that I had lost all my speed relative to the avalanche, and at this point I was still standing up."

Martin recalls that it was was a huge help to breathe through the Avalung while being dragged down the slope, "The Avalung was easy to breathe through, and I could focus on what to do when I was buried, instead of struggling with snow in my mouth and lungs."

I really hope BD licenses this technology to a bunch of manufactures so that we can have a wide variety of pack designs with this awesome feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:53 pm 

I have taken one bad ride in a slide and was able to grab the sunglasses off my face and jam them into the open front of my jacket ( they got crammed with snow and I couldn't see with them on, like seeing was going to help anthing). That left me pretty convinced that I could jam my avalung mouthpiece in my mouth and keep it there while being tumbled. I think you need to do it really fast, though. I normally ride with my mouthpiece extended but not in my mouth. No way can you count on putting it in once you stop moving if you are buried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:06 am 

I have the Avalung,not the pack version but the uhh sling version, and its not hard riding with the thing in your mouth. It extends pretty far(like an accordian,sp?) and you just shove it in your mouth when your gettin ready to drop in. Its a lil diff at first,the only real drawback is that you cant holla and make noises like an idiot when your ridin down

I'd never ride with it out of my mouth and then try putting it when the shit hits the fan. It specifys not to do this anyways. And if you start cartwheelin or somethin the thing could easily get packed in with snow...just not worth the risk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:31 pm 

Perhaps the BD people have a little more than their teeth clenched.