Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pack suggestion for poles...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:43 pm 

I own a Burton pack that's a few years old. Works well, but there's no pole attachment. Any suggestions? I've looked at the dakine helipro and like the setup, but it doesn't have a place to attach poles either?

Smaller is better - this pack would be for day trips only - sled or resort accessed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:10 pm 

It seems like most packs were designed for skiing first and foremost so they never think about attaching poles. Maybe other people have ideas, but the only one I know about is the Arc'teryx M series. (M20, M30, M40)

It's kind of a weird pack, but I like it. I wrote a review here, if you're interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:53 pm 

If your pack has Ice axe loops you can thread the pole straps through the loops and then bind the tips with the strap. That is what I do with my life-link pack and it works just fine. I have also seen people tuck poles behind compression straps or board straps the key though is making sure the straps on the poles are looped around something on the pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:30 pm 

I like ti attach a carabiner to a lower portion of my pack. Clip the pole straps through the 'biner then fold them up and clip the top board strap down accross 'em, if the pack allows the lower board strapp can be used also, they never swing around...Presto-change-o poles be fixed to ye pack.

Exhibit A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:34 pm 

I just cinch my down with the board straps. Never had a problem except if I did something stupid like not pull the strap tight. No method is stoner proof though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:47 am 

I picked up a Rome Insurgent backpack through this thread
http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtop ... highlight=

The Rome link no longer works and the newer version doesn't show it clearly but there are two pole end specific eyes that help keep things secure.

Its replaces my Dakine Poacher because of that and a better fit, less flapping straps and its lighter.........can't vouch for the latest version though.

Post subject: Carrying poles on your pack
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:06 am 

Another option is to simply slide the poles between your back and your pack. For many years in the past I used one piece (non-collapsible) poles because of frustration with unwanted slippage of the locking mechanism. Another advantage of this scheme is the ability to quickly pull out your poles for poling across a flat stretch, or whenever you want poles, without having to stop and take off your pack.

This shows Leki (collapsible) poles on a short, steep climb. I'm showing this pic because it illustrates the small Leki grips, which are easier to slide between your back and pack than bulky grips.

You (the rider) don't even notice the poles.

Of course, this doesn't work so well going thru dense trees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:17 am 

Why do some of y'all put the carbide tips pointing up towards your head? I've always been afraid of getting stabbed in the jugular if I starfish.

All my packs have had some sort of side compression straps. I thread the buckle and strap through my pole straps and cinch, kinda like san frantastico, just going the other direction.

I've also thought about something quick draw like Tim shows...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:55 am 

Some good ideas there thanks. I'll look and see if I can rig something up with the existing pack. Sideways mounting isn't an option - I like the trees too much! I also worry about the tips pointing up and crashing hard.

The cinch straps on my pack don't seem to hold tight. I loop the straps on the pack thru the wrist straps, but they seem to work their way loose and then I'm riding with swinging poles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:25 pm 

endo wrote:
Why do some of y'all put the carbide tips pointing up towards your head?

To look like Boba Fett?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:12 am 

treepilot wrote:
http://www.treepilot.ca
Tighter is better!

Dude, treepilot, i just went and checked out your homepage! Sweeeet!

The video from Valhalla was awesome! oh man that sketchy spine deop with the rock in the landing!? whoooo-weee!

looks like a great time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:13 am 

sorry to be off-topic... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:06 pm 

I'm using an ~8 year old Vortex pack (they still in business?) with the zip around pocket that is against your back for easy access into the main compartment when the pack is off (they designed this feature when most of the bc snowboard world was still in "board attached to the backpack while ascending mode") - still fully love that feature even while splitting tho. On the sides of the pack they put webbing straps (top and bottom) that would work perfect for skis/approach skis and/or a set of poles. On the sides at the bottom of the pack they also put an open slot pocket to put the pole ends into to further avoid any slippage/loss. Great day pack with enuff storage to possibly push a light overnight.