Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anyone split a BMC?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:21 am 

was curious if anyone has split one of these. i personally love how mine rides. its light weight and nice stiff flex have me think'n that it is a good light weight, split canidate for my quiver. did i mention that it's light weight!?! :D what concerns me is running into that carbon i-beam when i split it. don't want to kill the flex anymore than i have too. burton tells me that it runs tip to tail right down the middle of the board (thats all they'll give me because of liability concerns). the center inserts from the 3 hole pattern should intersect it then which doesn't seem to make too much sense. seems like that would slightly comprimise the i-beam in the first place. could it be the the vertical part or parts of the i-beam run slightly of center and around the inserts? anyone out there have experience w/ this? would be great to hear some insight on this before the board gets the blade.
:twisted:

dack- i see from you thread on your F1s that you've split one. would love to hear how it worked out for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:27 am 

Why not try for a 3 piece split...then you'd avoid the carbon beam...each of the \"skis\" would be lighter ( especially as its apparently a really light board to begin with)...and of course we're all interested in how a 3-piece performs in northamerican conditions
:D

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:41 pm 

DOOOOO IT!
JUST DOOOOO IT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:01 pm 

nomts-
curiosity about a 3-piece hasn't gotten the best of me yet. :wink:

dack-
ahhhhhhh. the positive reinforcement i was looking for. i take it you don't regret your decision. how are those F1s work'n out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:07 pm 

I wouldn't try a two way split with a carbon I-beam in the middle of my board. Especially if I didn't know the dimensions of the beam. In fact if you can't find out how wide this I-beam is don't split it at all. How will you mount hardware without a core to support it?

:idea: Maybe you can determine the width of the beam by tapping the board and listening for a sound change. Or, maybe you notice a stripe on the base that heats or cools differently when you are waxing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:40 pm 

Does anyone have more information about the carbon I-beam down the center of the board?

I'm betting its just a strip of carbon blanket on top and bottom of the wood core. I doubt its carbon fiber stacked that thick...several boards on the market have carbon fiber stringers in them.

You might find more info here...this is a great homebuilder snowboard site.

http://www.grafsnowboards.com/index.htm

check out the forum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:19 pm 

Cool site and forum. Way over my head. When can we see the mtnrider model?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:20 pm 

Shhhhhh PJ! :wink:

I'm might have something up my sleeve... :twisted:

bcrider...I need one of these emicons that looks like a mad scientist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:52 pm 

flanz- the board has a wood core. the i-beam is part of the layup to give the board some extra \"snap\", as burton puts it, w/o adding weight.

mntrider- i'm pretty sure it's an actual i-beam w/ a horizontal flange on the top and bottom of the core and a vertical piece in between. that's what burton said anyhow. if that's the case my guess would be that a strip of carbon fiber would be glued up between the board halves then the horizontal flanges added after the core is finished, prior to layup. or maybe they just glue one half of the core to each side of the i-beam then lay it up. or maybe i just need to split it and see what i find. nice link by the way. looks like a great tech resource from the little i've seen of it so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:10 pm 

Ah, I imagined an \"I-beam\" would be acting like a honeycomb core, leaving open spaces in the core to save weight. If the it means that the core is two pieces of wood divided by a vertical sheet of carbon fiber or just carbon fiber layers on the top and bottom of the core then you should be good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:36 pm 

I don't think that the inserts would compromise the beam. Removing small portions of the carbon fiber should not reduce the effect of the rest of it. Placing the beam off center would make the board flex asymmetrically.