Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/16/2005 Tamarack - Galena Bowls
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:13 am 

Sunday, after a great Ralston->Echo trip (thnx bcrider, mtnrider, digdug, et.al.) Evan & I headed to Tamarack Bowl to have a look at the huge slide that pulled out Hourglass. It had siginficantly filled in with windblown snow but still was impressively deep & wide (pics later). We rode down the chute to the boarder's right which had settled significantly - a little firm up top but quite prime in the throat of the chute. We then did a slightly more \"textured\" run down the East face of Tamarack and then over to 9202 for a \"heated powder\" run on a SSW aspect - the sun had come out just enough to give this slope the PERFECT texture - resoftened but fast. We were whoopin and screaming. Evan, in his funny English way, was singing LOUDLY as he made his way down.
Does anyone have names for a) the chutes to boarder's right of Hourglass and b) the 9202 peak or SE slope on it?
Pics tomorrow!

Post subject: Re: 1/16/2005 Tamarack - Galena Bowls
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:36 am 

breadbox wrote:

Pics tomorrow!

you better! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:02 pm 

8) More good times BB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:55 pm 

The 9202' peak is called Fireplug. The big east face of Tam. is called Proletariat ( the one that ends in the ultimate kicker spot at the bottom). I don't know the name of the chute to the right of Hourglass. The one on the riders' right side of the Hourglass Bowl is just called Hourglass Chute I think. The gentle chute to the right of Hourglass Bowl - I can't think of the name right now. Next time you're up, let me know and I'll show you where the *real* chutes are.

There's a old guy, age 70-80, I see about once a year or so up on Tam. He's been skiing up there for years and named some of the peaks and runs around there. I wish I could remember his name

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:34 am 

First off, props breadbox on the sweet rock drop off Ralston.

A friend and I hit up riders right side of Proletariat ( I didn't know it was called that) and the corniced ridgeline yesterday (Monday). Still fresh tracks to be had and still soft in this area at least. Got a late start and just used verts to get out there since I was with a non-splitting friend. Snow was WAY better than Flagpole on Sunday.

Matt, show me too. There are so many hidden lines around there.

Post subject: Galena Bowls
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:35 pm 

Galena Bowls, showing where Hourglass fractured. We rode the chute just to rider's right, viewers left.

Evan on the traverse to Fireplug, with Mt. Rose in the background.
Sorry no action shots, ran out of batteries! Next time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:39 pm 

Your Mt.Rose Backcountry lesson of the day :wink: :

- Near where you took the shot of the Houglass slide and/or near where you took that shot of Evan, about halfway between Tamarack and Fireplug is called Ego Point. The Old Man told me that's what he named it because they would look back on Hourglass at the end of the day to see how well they had farmed the turns. He's been doing this for like 40 or 50 years.