Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums






It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Mammut Pulse
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:56 pm
Posts: 467
Location: Meyers, CA
I spent some time today practicing with a friend's brand new Pulse tranceiver. In addition to the Pulse we had an Ortovox F1 (blue analog) and an Ortovox X1 (red digi).

When we buried the X1, the Pulse worked perfectly and was intuitive and easy to use.

But when we buried the F1, the Pulse sorta freaked out. The Pulse's directional arrow spun all around crazy and the distance numbers refused to get closer than 11 even when the Pulse was right next to the F1.

The X1 found the F1 normally. All the beacons are 457khz. We had normal batteries in them.

Anyone had this type of experience with a Pulse or other tranceiver?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:57 pm
Posts: 5105
Location: California
did you set the internal compass at start up?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:56 pm
Posts: 467
Location: Meyers, CA
Yep, and to try and figure out what was going on we took out the batteries, put them back in, and set the compass again. Nothing changed.

It's pretty bizarre that the Pulse finds the X1 perfectly and then if you turn off the X1 and turn on the F1 it doesn't find it at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:29 pm
Posts: 208
Location: Bermuda Triangle
Is Yoda still repping these?

I have a blue Barryvox (great beacon) and am ready for a new beacon- considering this model.

Yoda, do you have any info on this issue?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 294
Location: Northern CA
:( I'm no longer reppin' for Barryvox, but I'm still very versed on the product. :wink:

I just got my production Pulse, but have not tried it out. I had tried the prototype Pulse with finding an F1 and don't remember having any problems. I'll look into this and get back to all here asap.

BCRider, I believe, still has his F1, so I get with him and do some testing. My other buddy has an X1, so I'll test on his as well. I had no problem finding a BCA Tracker or Barryvox Opto3000 with the pulse. I heard it also good with the Pieps DPS.

So far the feedback has been very positive on the performance of this new beacon. I have heard of some minimal ghosting issues, but that's about it. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:41 pm
Posts: 68
Location: San Francisco
Would you guys rate the Pulse as more of a rescuer beacon? I'm just comparing it to the Pieps DSP and for basic search (2 buried people at most, with the searchers having a basic direction of the last seen point) the two beacons are probably on par with each other. The multiple burial and heartbeat options seem less needed in those cases. Am I wrong?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 294
Location: Northern CA
lonerider wrote:
Would you guys rate the Pulse as more of a rescuer beacon? I'm just comparing it to the Pieps DSP and for basic search (2 buried people at most, with the searchers having a basic direction of the last seen point) the two beacons are probably on par with each other. The multiple burial and heartbeat options seem less needed in those cases. Am I wrong?


The Pulse's closest cousin is the Pieps DSP (and maybe the new Ortovox)... they both have the DSP (Digital Signal Processing) feature! The Pulse is a simpler and more efficient design as compared to the Pieps. The inclusion of innovative features like the 360 direction arrow allows for better insurance that you're on the Flux Line - this is especially nice when it's white-out conditions!

The added features of the Pulse that have any merit above and beyond the Pieps (and the new $600 Ortovox) are the Triage feature and the W-Link:

The major benifit of the Triage feature is to allow prioritization of the recovery of buried victims. This is HUGE as far as helping you decide who to recover FIRST!

Bottom line for this feature is to minimize this - waisting precious time digging for a buddy who's already perished while the other victim is taking their last breath! :cry:



The W-Link feature allows the beacons to transfer real-time information between each other during a search to allow more efficiency among all the searchers... this is done on a separate frequency from the 457kHz being used for recovery.

Bottom line for this feature is to minimize this - waisting precious time when multiple searchers are searching for the same victims signal (in a multi-burial) when they could be focusing on 1 victim at a time (per searcher) and alert everyone else when they have "Marked" a victim found to help avoid other seachers from finding and further waisting time searching on that same signal... when you "Mark" your victim, not only does it block their signal on your beacon, but also on any other Pulse's being used for the same search! Cool Huh! 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:56 pm
Posts: 467
Location: Meyers, CA
I don't have any new info, but I think the issue most likely lies in some sort of anomoly with the F1. The Pulse has worked well with a variety of other tranceivers, and I guess older tranceivers can have some variations that make them a little funky. I'd guess the F1 is about ten years old. The customer service folks at Mammut have been very helpful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:41 pm
Posts: 68
Location: San Francisco
Yoda wrote:
he major benifit of the Triage feature is to allow prioritization of the recovery of buried victims. This is HUGE as far as helping you decide who to recover FIRST!

Bottom line for this feature is to minimize this - waisting precious time digging for a buddy who's already perished while the other victim is taking their last breath! Crying or Very sad

The W-Link feature allows the beacons to transfer real-time information between each other during a search to allow more efficiency among all the searchers... this is done on a separate frequency from the 457kHz being used for recovery.

Bottom line for this feature is to minimize this - waisting precious time when multiple searchers are searching for the same victims signal (in a multi-burial) when they could be focusing on 1 victim at a time (per searcher) and alert everyone else when they have "Marked" a victim found to help avoid other seachers from finding and further waisting time searching on that same signal... when you "Mark" your victim, not only does it block their signal on your beacon, but also on any other Pulse's being used for the same search! Cool Huh! 8)
1. Have you personal tested the Triage feature? What if it marks someone who is a alive as not breathing?

2.For the W-Link - What happens if one of the people in the search party mistakenly marks a victim incorrectly (or accidentally does so) and now all the other searchers won't pick up their signal. I understand that training is key, but with this feature even if you are trained well, you could end up missing someone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 294
Location: Northern CA
lonerider wrote:
1. Have you personal tested the Triage feature? What if it marks someone who is a alive as not breathing?

2.For the W-Link - What happens if one of the people in the search party mistakenly marks a victim incorrectly (or accidentally does so) and now all the other searchers won't pick up their signal. I understand that training is key, but with this feature even if you are trained well, you could end up missing someone.


Good questions! :D

I have tested the Triage feature.

First, you need to understand that only you are in control (insert - Have the Force) of the "marking" of a found victim... the beacon does not do this automatically. You're making me sound like the real Yoda! :lol:

If a buried victim, that's equiped with the Pulse, is breathing (rising and lowering of chest), or has a pulse (body movement created by heartbeat) or is simply trying to move will all generate a certain amount of movement which the Pulse is calibrated to registure and interpret as "vitals". This Triage feature is automatic and is only activated after a slide occures.

The W-Link is capable of indicating to other Pulse users the current search beta. This includes how many victims being recieved (up to eight), who's showing vitals (of the Pulse equiped), who's locked-on a victims signal and is in the process of searching for them, and also who's already been found and "marked" by another rescuer... this means this victim was probed (using a avi-probe) and confirmed as the correct spot to start digging.

This process makes it very difficult to make a mistake and overlook a victim. However, if you were to probe and confirm what you thought was a victim and you "marked" that signal, and if upon digging you discover it was a "tree" that you mistakingly :( confirmed as a buried victim, you can sroll back to that victims signal and "un-mark" it and start over again.

Understand that a "marked" victim is still emiting a signal! It's only once you recovered the victim and turned off their beacon that it will no longer indicate a signal being recieved!

The Pulse will still indicate that there's a victim in that particular spot, but the "marked" feature will block the signal and indicate that you (or someone) has probed and confirmed this victim. This makes it easier for the beacon and you to process the other remaining signals. . :D

I hope this all makes sense! Cheers :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:41 pm
Posts: 68
Location: San Francisco
Yoda wrote:
lonerider wrote:
Would you guys rate the Pulse as more of a rescuer beacon? I'm just comparing it to the Pieps DSP and for basic search (2 buried people at most, with the searchers having a basic direction of the last seen point) the two beacons are probably on par with each other. The multiple burial and heartbeat options seem less needed in those cases. Am I wrong?


The Pulse's closest cousin is the Pieps DSP (and maybe the new Ortovox)... they both have the DSP (Digital Signal Processing) feature! The Pulse is a simpler and more efficient design as compared to the Pieps. The inclusion of innovative features like the 360 direction arrow allows for better insurance that you're on the Flux Line - this is especially nice when it's white-out conditions!

The added features of the Pulse that have any merit above and beyond the Pieps (and the new $600 Ortovox) are the Triage feature and the W-Link:

The major benifit of the Triage feature is to allow prioritization of the recovery of buried victims. This is HUGE as far as helping you decide who to recover FIRST!

Bottom line for this feature is to minimize this - waisting precious time digging for a buddy who's already perished while the other victim is taking their last breath! :cry:



The W-Link feature allows the beacons to transfer real-time information between each other during a search to allow more efficiency among all the searchers... this is done on a separate frequency from the 457kHz being used for recovery.

Bottom line for this feature is to minimize this - waisting precious time when multiple searchers are searching for the same victims signal (in a multi-burial) when they could be focusing on 1 victim at a time (per searcher) and alert everyone else when they have "Marked" a victim found to help avoid other seachers from finding and further waisting time searching on that same signal... when you "Mark" your victim, not only does it block their signal on your beacon, but also on any other Pulse's being used for the same search! Cool Huh! 8)
Thanks for the info! y friend and I are going to buy Beacons this weekend, we tested the BCA Tracker and Pieps DSP and were going with the Pieps, but I know REI is carrying the Pulse as well... we'll give it a look before purchasing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 294
Location: Northern CA
The feature on the Pulse that allows you to "mark" a located victim functions the same as the Pieps DSP... this is what the DSP does - it proccesses the signal and gives you the relative information and also allows you to block the signal when the victim has been probed and confirmed.

Benefits of the Pulse over the Pieps DSP:
1) Buttons are way easier to use with gloves on.
2) Simpler operation and function with custom abilities.
3) 360 direction arrow.
4) Digital & Analog search performance... the Pieps is Digital only.
5) Triage feature... decipher who to dig for FIRST.
6) W-Link feature... faster & more efficient group rescue during a multiburial.

The Triage and W-Link features are eventually going to be found on other mfgs beacons... Barryvox is licensing this technology and many of the big names are interested!

Another feature of the Pulse is its software can upgraded. As the software ages, it can be updated and kept up-to-speed with changes in the technology... much like the Pieps.

My plea to all to buy the Pulse:

The more of us owning and using the Pulse will only decrease the loss of lives in the BC and make avalanche rescue more efficient. Bottom line - Barryvox's new technologies can can save more lives, period!!!

At $50 more than a Pieps, the Pulse can further the chances of recovering a buddy (or yourself) ALIVE! Now that extra $50 just became priceless! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:22 pm
Posts: 101
Just played with some of the pulses the other day. They are very nice to use and easy to understand. As for the pulse feature i would never use it. Dig for the person closest to the surface!, then move on. The pulse feature only works with other pulses. So if i show up on scene after a slide and pull out my pulse and dig for who has vitals, i could be missing the people using other beacons that are being reported as having no vital signs. We tried playing around with moving the 'burried beacon' and not moving it to see if it would show 'vitals' and 'no vitals', sometimes it did other time it didnt. Not a consistant result.

As a basic search beacon it is very nice to use but personally i think that the pulse feature is a liability and it will take a few fatalities and reports to get the real info on it.

As for not picking up the f1. Barryvox has a know compatability issue with the f1. There have been cases where people have not been found -Barryvox searching for a F1. You wont hear much of this beacuse barryvox took the reports to court.

_________________
A man is not so drunk, as long as he can lie on the floor without holding on!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  








Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group