Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:17 pm 

AAWW i feel touched... thank you Killclimbz for remembering me. i am being serious here and IT MIGHT BE MY FIRST TIME when i get there cuz i DO NOT TRUST the BC here in the northeast cuz we have yet to have a big dumping of snow.

i will keep u updated if i go out. if you feel i should try around here first tell me cuz i dont wanna go out there and suck hard. tell me the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:16 am 

You know just figure out how to change your split over, put on and take off the skins etc. Skinnin' is easy. Slightly more complicated than snowhoeing. Probably the real issue is going to be altitude. Monarch Pass starts out at 11k ft and goes from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:04 am 

Anybody up for Berthoud *early* tomorrow? I like to track it all out before the crowds show up :wink:

RidePowder wrote:
if you feel i should try around here first tell me cuz i dont wanna go out there and suck hard. tell me the truth.

I agree with Killclimbz. Make sure you've had at least a few dry runs with switching it over. Starting out on Berthoud or another easy access pass is a good place to test out your gear and get acclimated. Being in good shape is the most important thing. Oh, and make sure you've got a good pair of liner gloves so you don't have to freeze your fingers when switching over.

When I took a noobie to Teton Pass last year, he was really having a hard time getting up the bootpack to the top of Glory and I thought that the next day (when we were planning on skinning in--his first time on skins) was going to be really short...But...He did so much better on the skins in comparison to hiking, that we traveled way farther than I thought we would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:37 pm 

OldMan wrote:
Anybody up for Berthoud *early* tomorrow? I like to track it all out before the crowds show up :wink:

Berthoud did not sound too promising over on a TGR thread.
http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72655

Or maybe Ireallyliketoski is just trying to keep it all to himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:07 pm 

IRidePow wrote:
Berthoud did not sound too promising over on a TGR thread.
http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72655

Or maybe Ireallyliketoski is just trying to keep it all to himself.

Huh. Looks to me like the winds have been pretty light since last night. Here's the weather station on top of Berthoud:

http://www.avalanche.org/~wxstns/grandnet/BERTHOUD.html

If I've got someone to ride with tomorrow, I'll hit Berthoud, if it's not good, then drop down to Jones.

Berthoud was manky on Monday when fortysix&2 and I were there. I guess it was more completely tracked out than manky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:49 pm 

<Insert Berthoud Pass Rant Here>. I think I'll be spending more time in my neck of the woods this year. <Insert more Berthoud Pass Rant here>.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:20 am 

fortysix&2 wrote:
<Insert Berthoud Pass Rant Here>. I think I'll be spending more time in my neck of the woods this year. <Insert more Berthoud Pass Rant here>.

You should have been there yesterday Dave. It was fantastic. Light pow, knee deep, and a 6 1/2 hour drive home... :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:40 pm 

Glad you guys got home safe. I heard it was good snow...you bastards.

I'm thinkin MP next Saturday..got my new boards <GRIN>.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:24 pm 

hey killclimbz

well it is a week away from my vacation to Crested Butte. I am still debating on bringing my splitboard. I mean i know one day my friend and i are going to rent a sled (he owns one and does that a lot) and also i do not have a vehicle to go anywhere. i am staying at CB Mountain itself. i do not know if i can go outside the limits by myself especially. With the weird weather patterns i do not know how avalanche is and things like that. please give me an update and help me out if you can.

we are suppose to have a storm on wednesday so i think thursday i am going to use the Split for the FIRST TIME!!

thank you again.
B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:17 pm 

From what I remember there isn't much in the way of access gates on Crested Butte Mountain. There might be one or two, but the mountain itself is hemmed in fairly well by cliffs on one side and there is plenty of private land around it. I would definitely bring your split. If you rent sleds, it is likely you'll end up by Irwin Lodge. Tons of stuff to do back there with snowmobile access. I have never been, but a split may be useful for dropping into and getting out of some of the drainages around that area. Scuykill ridge is also something you can skin into and do in a day. Make sure you and your bud are carrying full avy gear even if you just stay on sleds. The avalanches around here don't really care what you are on.

There is a good chance I'll be going down to Monarch Pass that (24th-25th) weekend. If you are around it's worth it to get to do that tour. If you can find a ride or vehicle to drive up in let us know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:04 am 

Hey Killclimbz

I might be up to head down to Monarch Pass that Saturday (24th)... however I am also contemplating to hit the Scrubfest.
I am not sure if I can swing that though with the days off I have.

I will need to decide sometime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:34 am 

Oh crap the scrubfest...

Looks like yet again I'll have to miss that one :oops: .

Yeah, let me know. I have also eaten up a lot of my time off and need to save a few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:37 pm 

Some Monarch Pass stokage I saw today over at TGR.
http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76638