Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:08 pm 

*trying very hard to stay on subjet* :oops:

vtbackcountry, having climbed the lionhead route, I wouldn't want to do it in fatty snowboard boots (but then again, never ridden driver X's or other dedicated big mountain free-ride boots... maybe they'd be better). I think it's possible, but there are a few moves that are a bit rock-climbey, and I feel more comfortable with a smaller boot that has a pronounced edge to get a good foothold. This is primarily about my comfort level, I guess, but I figured I'd chime in since I have done some of the alpine hiking in the Whites that it sounds like you are thinking about. I think the Lionhead is about worst case scenario, though, for New England at least.

Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:15 pm 

My Grivel G-10's have done everything I've wanted them to do whenever I've needed them. Never used anything else so I'm not sure how they compare to other brands/models

Post subject: Re: soft boot crampons??
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:31 pm 

vtbackcountry wrote:
do these exist? does it even make sense...

i know soft boots don't provide much support, but thought it might be something to think about for springtime or variable conditions. just enough to get you up ridgelines and out to enjoy the corn in soft boots. maybe they need to make soft boots with a stiff shank in the sole and a harder toe box area, but still 'soft' boots. i don't know... hard boots just seem so restrictive and stiff at times, especially in deep spring snow, mashed potatoes and such. you gotta love the feel of soft boots in that stuff.

anyway, my burton drivers (stiffer soft boot) have little fold down crampons under the toes. 3 out of 4 of mine just busted off after a while. a fairly weak attempt in my opinion, but i think they were on to something.

let me know --

I couldn't resist responding to this one... as some people here on this forum know, I work for Kahtoola. To answer you first question... YES they exist and YES they make sense!

First thing to do - do a [search] here on the forum for "crampons for soft boots". Second, read below. :D

To clarify... there are ONLY four models of flexible crampons being produced:

Kahtoola KTS Steel http://www.kahtoola.com/kts_steel.html

BD Neve http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/neve.php

Grivel AirTech Light http://www.grivel.com/

Camp Stalker http://www.camp.it/camp/template01.aspx?codicemenu=50

Some of these mfgs also offer an optional flexible extender bar that you can retrofit to other existing models in their line - i.e. http://www.grivel.com/Products/dettagli ... t=RB097.18

The BD Neve uses Kahtoola's patented LeafSpring extender bar... considering BD has licensed the extender bar from Kahtoola, I can't say anything else other than Kahtoola nailed it on that design... BD rarely licenses anything from anyone!!!

The point I want to make is that Kahtoola has some added attention-to-detail that the other crampon mfgs have failed to address. They were the first company to produce a flexible crampon, and since then all the other mfgs have chased after them with their own weak versions. Some mfgs have even infringed (no longer :x ) on Kahtoola's patents... which says alot about them "nailing it" on the design!

Bottom line - if your looking for a crampon made specifically for soft boots, then I strongly recommend that you look at the KTS Steel. Several people here on the forum are using the Kahtoolas and are very happy with them, even BCRider the creator of this website.

Do a [search] for Kahtoola and see what you find (among all my posts), I think you'll be impressed! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:14 pm 

It was not clear if the topic was in regards to crampons that will work with soft boots or are designed for soft boots... I responded from the view of crampons made to work efficiently with soft boots and accomedate their flex.

If your just looking to find out if there are crampons that will accomedate a soft boot, then your in luck... just about every crampon mfg makes a crampon designed to "strap" onto soft boots. Some crampons will fit better than others with snowboard boots, but they all will usually fit.

Food for thought - Kahtoola has addressed all the facets of crampon design and have produced a crampon that not only straps onto a soft boot, but is engineered to work with the boots inherent flex, improving performance and stability. Even the front-points are set at a particular angle to insure purchase while the crampon is flexed... no other mfg has paid attention to these little, but important details. :D