Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ski specific pack or snowboard specific pack for splitboard?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:21 am 

Should I get the BCA Stash BC (with ski attachments on the side) or the BCA Stash BC Rider (with snowboard attachment on the back)?

I've only been splitting twice but it seems like I mostly needed to put the board on my pack when I went uphill, skinning over steep sections, sections of trail where there's no snow, or on traverses. Does it make more sense to get a pack with ski attachments rather than snowboard attachment for splitboarding? What would you get?

Thanks for you help.

Dan

Post subject: packs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:27 am 

if booting, i keep my board split and load them like skis using side compression straps on my pack and a long rubber voile strap on top. works well, cuts the wind way better. i have a lowe alpine snowpeak 50 w/ wide side straps for day tours. it's old school, but solid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:51 am 

I have a Salomon backpack (from about year 2000 i guess) and it has both! I got straps on the site with compression that you can attach skis on... and you got the back straps to attach a snowboard... I also have attachement for my poles on the way down... The backpack retailed for around 80$... pretty complete...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:43 am 

anybody got an opinion on the Osprey Switch 26?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:04 pm 

i prefer a pack that can take carrying the board both split and unsplit.

i like to carry it split on the way up because it makes for a quicker transition to start skinning once you hit good snow, then on the way down once im done riding if i have to hike out and there is no need to skin again i can get lazy and throw my board back on my pack assembled.

check this thread out....
http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2534

i had asked about packs at the end of last season on this thread and some really good comments were made about different packs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:41 am 

Osprey switch 26 is WAY to small for backcountry. Fill up the water sack and you lose a ton of room in there. I'd be surprised if you can fit more than a granolar bar and one glove. You got to go up to 32+ liter in my opinion to carry the essentials- food, extra goggles, avy gear, med kit, extr gloves, sun screen, repair kit etc. A 26 liter doesn't hold shit- I returned mine to REI and got a bigger one. But I got a bigger 2005 model swithc- built stronger and better than this year's Osprey switch line...I think they cheapened them up.