Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waterproof Stuff Sacks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:16 pm 

I was just reminded of a near disaster on a Mt. Rainier trip this summer while replying to Sanfrantastico's bladder bag post, thought I would share what saved my >$500 down gear from getting trashed.

The culprit was a leaking bladder bag, filled with peach cytosport....those who have used this know how fragrant it is. After summiting and getting back to base camp, I proceeded to fill the rest of my gear into my pack...very hastily might I add. I set my bag on a chunk of rock while I tied my shoes and noticed that my pack was peeing profusely all over the rock. Shit, fucking, shit, I could already smell peach!!! I quickly pulled my bag apart in terror to find that my dry bags had saved my down bag and jacket, relief.

So first I would like to recommend the WXtex dry bags, http://www.rei.com/online/store/Product ... REI_SEARCH[/url]
as they saved my ass, yes you can clean your down gear but it's a pita and down fill breaks down during most consumer washing. I have submersed them in water and they haven't let a drop in.

The crap thing about these bags is that they don't keep compressed, though the valve is kind of a cool idea and makes for easy stuffing. Looking around on REI's site I noticed OR has some similar looking bags w/ built in compression straps. The other downside is they are a little heavier than a normal stuff sack, though wet down tends to be a little heavier than dry down. :wink:

One other crapside to these bags is if you do have wet gear inside them they don't breathe at all, meaning your gear is staying wet and stanky until you can get it out.

With all of this ranting and raving I would still like to know if anyone has any experience w/ a similar product? Recommendations for a lighter, better compressing, but still waterproof sack?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:41 pm 

water proof bags are the bomb, they have saved me lots of times.

the ticker about down and waterproof bags is that you gots to be careful with condensation in your bag. down and water dont mix, and even though it feels dry on the outside if it stays in there too long a serious stank is heading your way. You said that you were interested in using compression straps to keep it tight. Compression straps and down anything is a big no-no due to the fact that the down fibers will get too cozy with each other and you wont get the loft you once had. in otherwords, youll get a nice tight compressed down that wont fluff up the way it should.

ive never had problems with hydration bladder leakage. I keep the bag in the top compartment(tired of the top loader thing though)
i found this clip a a homebrew and wine store which is a tube lock/stop that you can attach to any tube. never had leaks since, although i have read about some homefixes here that sound a bit lighter. i dont have freeze problems in the line either cuz i blow the tube clean into the bladder, its a routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:00 pm 

I've had good luck with GG's dry sack.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=12239419&parent_category_rn=4500447&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:51 pm 

Well aware of the dangers of over-compressing down, talked to the guys at Feathered Friends at length about this when looking for sleeping bags. Basically they said it's fine to compress to a point, just don't really ream on your stuff sack and don't keep it compressed for long periods of time, ie. storage....that's what those big storage bags are for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:22 pm 

I have used the WXtex dry/stuff sacks. I have noticed they dont stay compressed for long periods of time, but it does usually stays compressed for a day or so.

The best thing about them IMO is that they can not only be compressed but also inflated.

I have a 15L and when its inflated its makes an excellent pillow for overnighters. Just blow it up using the vavle to your liking. Also works as a flotation device for your pack when inflated, if your ever crossing water.