Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:38 pm 

More on the Beacon stuff... I saw a thread over on TTips where non-alkaline batteries cause beacons to screw up. The conclusion they came to was a combination of non-standard sizes, and the fact that rechargable batteries have different voltages. (actually, every different battery chemistry will have a different voltage, but some are closer than others to the standard 1.5V)

So, I'm going home to make sure I didn't put any fancy camera bateries in my beacon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:19 pm 

UTAH wrote:
what is some beta on ways to get a fire going in the snow

Cotton balls dipped in vaseline...sorry didn't read PJ's post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:21 pm 

Wow - thanks for all the feedback & I'm happy that it doesn't seem like I have too much crazy stuff in there.

- I think the best suggestion that I don't have in there already is zip-ties.

- I carry duct tape on my poles. (Although thanks for the reminder, UTAH. I broke a pole at the end of last season and I've so far totally blanked on putting tape on my new poles.)

- I do carry a little headlamp, but I keep it in my other little stuff sack with the stuff I am likely to use on a trip.

- I should look into a suture kit if I can find one somewhere. Those are lightweight and also good for field repairs to fabrics as well as wounds.

- I also like the Purell idea (if it works) because it would be a dual-purpose antiseptic and firestarter.

- Some people love moleskin. I hate it! I have a 'low volume' foot and I get blisters a lot if I don't have protection on my feet. By trial and error the 4" stretch fabric bandaid works best for me...

- This is the ttips link concerning non-alkaline batteries in beacons. It seems like the issue is worse than just battery depletion.

- The Eagle creek bag is *not* waterproof, but my pack is. I got so sick of digging around blindly in little stuff sacks that I decided to go with one of these. It weighs more than a stuff sack, but access is much easier.

- Obviously my biggest safety error was letting p420 know about the Vicodin in my pack. Now I'll have to watch my back. But at least he has incentive to dig me out if I fall down a tree well. I will not let him know that there may be a few Oxycontins in there too.

affix snow wrote:
That reminds me though.....I need to get a GOOD digital scale! Where you get yours?

I got mine here. Amazon has about a million different digital kitchen scales. I don't remember how I selected mine, but I like it. Very simple and accurate. It is easy to zero and it reads in grams and ounces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:44 pm 

that's a big bar of hash there bottom left...oh wait, that's probably the globstopper? the medicine is packed elsewhere! :D

i know you mentioned compass, but what are folk's thoughts on a smallish GPS...anyone use one? overkill?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:25 pm 

I take the compass for sure and the gps depending on terrain. I bought on last year and it works great above tree line, but not worth much in the woods or in a gully. The one I bought has a radio function as well so it earns it's place in the pack, if I can get those other guys to remember their radios too :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:51 pm 

Quote:
Maybe I should just bring a Guinness instead?

I second that motion!

However acceptable substitutes include hot coco with bourbon, whiskey or rum n whatever!

Sometimes guinys freeze when not properly tended. Good thing hard liquor doesn't freeze as easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:29 pm 

my two bits,

If you are getting blisters, there is this stuff called tincture of benzoate, kinda like a topical skin booster upper. You apply it before you take off for the hills. you can get it at pharmacies and in good blister kits, that usually cost more than they are worth. also second skin has saved me.

Another tip about getting the weight down in your bag is to get the pills and everything into smaller containers. A real 1st Aid kit is nice because it lets you open up a bag that grants you quick access to the goods.

For a firestarter, think about what you are using it for. If it is an emergency set up then think light. If you take a 3 inch strip from your inner tubes that are spent, they will burn intense. they weigh next to nothing and although the thought of burning rubber doesnt make me all giddy, if its an emergency than do it. better than nothing and it dont weigh nuthin.

3M suture strips are awesome. some folks i know were using super glue type stuff on serious cuts, it works but ive heard some brands are toxic and if its dirty in there, thats bad.

duck tape always good.

i carry rubber gloves with me. sounds kinky but at least its clean.

I recommend some good reading Wilderness Medicine, Beyond First Aid, 5th Editionif not a course in how to take care of your buds in the hills. Just get your mind rolling in the right direction. Makes a good gift too. kinda like giving the brand new avy beeper to your friend when you go out.

keep your meds in a quick access spot. not deep in your pack, for all reasons. if you are national park land you dont want to mess around with rangers. better to toss it and let mother nature get hers back, then to have a long day sitting in the snow. rangers mean business, seen it with friends and it aint cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:07 pm 

Thanks for the book recommendation - I think I'll put it on my xmas wish list.

NorwayBrder wrote:
keep your meds in a quick access spot. not deep in your pack, for all reasons. if you are national park land you dont want to mess around with rangers. better to toss it and let mother nature get hers back, then to have a long day sitting in the snow. rangers mean business, seen it with friends and it aint cool.

Just make sure it isn't too accessible!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:50 pm 

good suggestions on first aid kit add-in's, in addition to duct tape anywhere it will wrap, I always carry

-a signal mirror for getting spinach out of the choppers, singaling, and fire

-tampons(2), they make the best blood stoppers for open wounds, go figure

-butterflys and a hotel sewing kit

-super glue for cuts

-a few 5mg valium and an airplane bottles of vodka for cleaning and pain relief

-an extra bic with a few strike anywhere matches taped to it

Hunter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:52 am 

If you ride soft boots, an extra binding strap might be nice - they seem to break at the worst times. I suppose you could make due with zip ties and duct tape in a pinch though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:43 pm 

I wouldn't even call it "insurance" - it's "necessity". Some good suggestions here too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:07 pm 

I know all about those frozen guinys snoslut :wink:

A little steal wool with those batteries will work to start a fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:58 pm 

Zip ties most def. Also I keep a jet flame lighter in there as well, I have had those fancy dancy all weather matches fail on me numerous times and it's the last thing I want to deal with when it's cold, dark, and storming.

I put it all in a gg air pocket, http://www.granitegear.com/products/packing_systems/air_line/air_pockets/index.html

I always assumed this thing is waterproof as it has a treated zipper, but it doesn't state on the website whether it is or not.