Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kendall Stump/Clear Cut..What you will?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:04 pm 

A TAY comrade and Myself departed the car in the exit 53 snow park (read: little notch on the left side of the road), under partly cloudy skies and kinda chilly temps at the leasurly hour of 8:30. We were able to punch straight across the 1st little creek near the two cabins and began our asscent though the old growth buffer to the clear cut. Having skied the far skiers right towards the west boundary of the cut in the past, we opted to traverse towards that side of the hill. This seemingly chewed up a good chunk of time and yielded many tree wells and other hallows from beneath. Once we gained the old access road our asscent was much faster. Pesky fog and clouds gave way to sun about 1:30ish!

A pit dug to the ground (4-5 feet) showed a weak layer at about 1 and 2 foot depth as well as a mean rain crust about 1" thick 3' or so down. Compression test, took 10+ wrist taps and a number of wacks from the elbow and shoulder. Consolidation is looking real good for the base. Coverage was reasonable and left many stumps and bumps to hit, as well as many obstacles to race around.

Rumor of Jersan and companions (I believe a 4 legged friend's tracks were observed in the skin track)were not confirmed, However a number of other TAYers were apparent after folks bailed out from Alpy. 2 laps left me wanting a few more laps but

A fairly uneventful down ski through the old growth buffer in tour mode for myself got me thinking of devising a way to lock the heal down on the split? Anyone else made such a modification? back to the car at 4:00 home by 5:15, gotta love the short drive, I think my weekday commute has been longer! Nice to meet some new folks out there all!

C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:15 pm 

I'm just getting into the BC thing and Kendall Knob is on my short list of 'easy' tours to hit. Is the approach from the snopark better than parking at West and walking under the overpass to the Pac Crest trailhead just off the Alpy road?

I had my new split out for the very first time today over at Silver Fir. Skinning wasn't as bad as I was thinking (I've never skied) but my fitness sucks. That was much worse than I was anticipating.

I could see the lines coming down from Kendall from across the valley, looked like a lot of fun!

T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:37 pm 

Thomas~

I have historically used the Exit 53 approach to avoide the snow park permit deal...Exit 54 has the snow park. Going through the old growth buffer as described is pretty good. I have not used the PCT apprach bu likley will the next time I head up there. A buddy of mine always uses that route. Congrats on breakin' in the new split!

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:40 pm 

C -

Thanks for the report. Glad to know you're still out there.

I see you are already venturing out into the BC area around Kendall. Where was this tour relative to Kendall Ridge?

TAY ??

I'm down! :D

~ Edub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:28 pm 

Edub~

Front side towards the 90!

Word

Post subject: Re: Kendall Stump/Clear Cut..What you will?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:33 pm 

Tophervw wrote:
A fairly uneventful down ski through the old growth buffer in tour mode for myself got me thinking of devising a way to lock the heal down on the split?
C

locking the heel? what? why? its much more fun to fake tele on a split in tour mode! my tele friends get a good laugh watching this.

seriously i have had similar thoughts exiting areas in the sierra that are accessed by long unplowed roads. gently skiing down when exiting makes for a quick exit but i find it is nice to have the heel free to get some xtra speed if needed.