Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY splitboard
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:53 pm 

I'm a newbie and I'm sure this topic has coming up many times so I apoligize if this is redundant. I'm planning to make my own splitboard using the voile kit and would love any advice y'alls can give (preferably advice on splitting my own board, not on why I should be buying a factory made one, but all advice welcome). What troubles you've run into? what to avoid? tips?... yadda, yadda, yadda. Anyway, any advice would be helpful.

thanks
-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:12 am 

The biggest tip I can give is to make sure you cut the board correctly, meaning make sure and double make sure you are cutting the thing in half perfectly straight. It can be hard to do on a table saw unless you are proficient at cutting with a table saw as most boards don't have the same width tip and tail. When I cut mine I drew a line right down the middle of the base of the board and then clamped a 2x4 to the bottom of the board to use as a guide for a circular saw. Worked really well. Also make sure to seal the cut edge of the two sides up pretty good to no moisture gets in there. Once that board is cut in half the reat isn't too difficult. Just make sure to double check measurements so you are only cutting and drilling once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:57 am 

I just finished up splitting a new board, I had access to a a ski/board shop and in my opinion it would have been a bit more of a challenge if I had not, however I suck at anything with tools so others may have different opinion. My buddy that was helping me has split multiple boards so he seem to have it down to a science.
1. The first part measuring, lay a line of blue masking tape down the front or back I guess? I did the front, most boards have a capped edge or angled edge so in order to get a perfect measurement hold the measuring tape up off the the board about a 1/2 inch and measure that way, do multiple measurement across the board and using a straight edge connect the dots, don't rely on graphic center points on the board since they are most often off a bit. the blue masking tape is so you don't have to live with permanent ink on the board and to prevent splintering.
2. Cutting the board I actually paid someone to do this, because it is such an important step. I wish I could tell the blade he used because the cut was absolutely flawless, but I know it was very thin. and was brand new. My board was a directional twin, most directional all mtn. board taper from front to back or vice versa so take that into account.
3. mask tape around the eddges of the newly cut board so that the tape hangs off the board barely this way you will prevent the (can't remember what the ptex glue stuff is called sorry) from running down the sides and it makes the sanding process go alot easier.

I have to go the bell rang and hear come the kids. Hope that helps some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:10 pm 

UTAH wrote:

I have to go the bell rang and hear come the kids. Hope that helps some.

You a Teacher? If so where? Utah?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:10 pm 

PM me and borrow my jig for the table saw. I am an hour north of you so it's not much of a drive to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:08 pm 

Yeah Affix,

I teach resource/at-risk in utah it's a good job, not for everybody.

Post subject: DIY Splitboard
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:24 pm 

Here are some thoughts I've collected and saved in a file:

To seal newly exposed edges, use 2 component epoxy applied by finger, 2 layers separated by 24 hours. After 3 to 4 days to totally dry out, paint over epoxy with exterior paint for a little extra protection and a finished look.

Put touring hinge pin slightly behind balance point so that kick turns will be easier - board won't drop so badly as it would if hinge were in front of balance point.

Put heel elevator as far back as possible, but leave at least 1/2â€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:12 pm 

The search feature is your friend. :) Here are some relevant posts (some missing pics since the posts are fairly old):

http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=542

http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=495

A good one from another forum:

http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/show ... php?t=3405

Quote:
Put touring hinge pin slightly behind balance point so that kick turns will be easier - board won't drop so badly as it would if hinge were in front of balance point.

Almost every recommendation I've seen is the opposite of this (and is also the case in all the production splits I've seen). I think the main reason is that if you mount the touring bracket behind the balance point, the ski tips will tend to dip which can be problematic in deep snow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:24 pm 

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Cheers,
-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:13 am 

UTAH wrote:
Yeah Affix,

I teach resource/at-risk in utah it's a good job, not for everybody.

Cool. Im a Social Studies Teacher.

You in a Public School? How bad is th pay.....? Im trying to justify a move out there! (have been for too long now...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:22 am 

Pay, not so good, however compared with the cost of living it is o.k. the class sizes here are huge and Utah politics are some of the worst, Utah has a tendancy to block vote mainly due to the large LDS(mormon) population, they just don't educate themselves, so they keep putting idiots in office, when they have the chance to elect some incredibly good people who ironically are LDS but Democrat.
My advice to you would be to pack up your things ASAP and get down here fast. I grew up in Cali, and you couldn't pay me to go back after living here. In the summer I can ride my bike from my house up any of the two canyons, and take a hike. In the winter I can catch a bus up any of the two main canyons from my house or drive and be up in the mountains in less than 20 minutes, not to mention the sickest mountains.
I live three miles from the school I work at. The price of housing as increased a bit, but most of the people moving out here tend to buy out in the boonies, all the way across the valley far from the mountains, leaving lot's of real estate right at the mouths of the canyons. The lifestyle here is so laid back, the people are good. The location is perfect and if you have never been to the Utah desert (moab, zion, escalalent, etc.) it is the sickest place ever and its only 3-4 hrs away so you can hit it up on 3 day weekend. I can also get to the Tetons in 4 hrs, Bozeman in 6-8 hrs, Cali in a long day. . Utah is the mecca for adventure sports. Anyways I love this place. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:27 am 

Yeah, thats pretty much what i thought.

Problem is, my fiance and I would take HUGE paycuts (being we work in 2 of the highest paying states in the nation, PA and NJ)....and our loans dont get smaller when the cost of living does....Once the loans are managable, it might just work. We would both love nothing mroe than to live in SLC.....but its sooooo tough with the pay/debt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:09 am 

Hey Affix - you should come out to Oakland, where my wife is public school teacher. Sure the pay is crap and the cost of living is outrageous, but you will get to experience the beaurocracy of a huge inner city school district first hand and you'll get a daily adreneline rush from the students.

Really, you guys should get paid SO MUCH MORE. I was able to put my wife through school so she didn't end up with debt, but a lot of her colleagues graduated with over $50k in debt. That was for the privlege of working their asses off for starting pay of around $35k per year. Neither of us had any idea how demanding the work would be. The only real benefits are the Summers off and the long xmas holiday, but even those are shrinking.

Really, though - mad props to you and UTAH for taking on such a tough job. You guys deserve to be treated so much better by us taxpayers!