Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Better split design
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:24 pm 

Has any one thought up a better design for split bindings. It would be nice if there wasn't any screwing with pins. Dynafit toe clips in ski mode and some sort of click in binding in ride mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:12 pm 

I've definitely thought it over. It will take a serious investment to get something like that together. If splitboarding becomes a big enough sport, and people like me can quit their day jobs, that gear will come around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:07 pm 

Some people have screwed around with the Dynafit setup, but for now it's all home made design.

Check out this thread: http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtop ... highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:42 am 

I am working on a design on solidworks, a CAD program. But its a strictly for fun exercise unless everyone really likes it, then something may happen. No details yet, sry.

Porky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:20 am 

I actually have a question for everyone. When installing the heelside puck, does anyone put the screws in anywhere but the front position: ie pushing the puck the furthest from the split side of the board?

Porky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:36 pm 

Strangely enough, I was laying in bed this morning just thinking about how it could be done. I was actully a bit inspired by checking out Wills binding design. I've got some good ideas in my head, but putting them into an actual design is another matter. Aside from a binding that incorprates a slider track, somthing that pops in and out real quick is the next step for splitting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:45 pm 

mtnman wrote:
Aside from a binding that incorprates a slider track, somthing that pops in and out real quick is the next step for splitting.

I thought about this too and here's my idea (Will, or others, feel free to run with this as I don't have the time or skills - just be sure to name it something cheesy like the Splitastic Grab-o-matic).

Get rid of the slider track altogether and make a binding/combo that is something like the Clicker but different.

Basically, it would be like a clipless pedal on a bicycle. The concept is similar to screwing your boot right onto the slider track while making it easy to maneuver into the pucks with the track on your feet.

The boot would be the key and it would have to have some sort of hard sole that incorporated Dynafit holes in the toe, but the upper could be soft or hard. You would use it in skin mode just like how a Dynafit system works.

In board mode is where things get different. Instead of having the boot binding interface the way is was with the Clicker, which wouldn't work if the board/binding were cut in half from tip to tail, this would act as a claw to grab something on the board halves and hold the whole deal together. This would trade pucks for something like the half moons on the old Burton system.

So when you switch to board mode you simply align the halves and close your tip and tail hooks. Then you just step into position and "click" - the boot holds the board halves together. The system would be spring loaded so once in place you'd have to flip a lever or something to really lock it down or else the springs might allow enough play that you could pop out unexpectedly.

I'm not sure how you'd adjust binding angles or how much fun it would be walking in the boots but someone could figure it out easily enough I'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:46 pm 

The system im working on is step in, of course.

Porky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:32 pm 

How about if the plates were built into the strap binding to save weight then the bindings clipped to the board like a step in binding. Then you could switch over without taking off the binding. Maybe similar to a dynafit toe piece. But you could still use soft boots and not stepins. The voile setup is pretty basic but it works well. Very heavy though. I saw someone has carbon plates which is freakin cool, but I have broken every carbon fiber thing I have ever owned.

Also I think the chinese hooks are kinda crappy, maybe slotted or tongue and groove would offer more latteral stability to the board. I think there needs to be another between the feet at least just for added stability. I know a guy who split his own board and made the cut at a 45 degree angle to add rigidity to the board. He said it work well but you can't edge one ski when climbing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:29 am 

Yeah, I always thought a tongue and groove system would be cool as long as it didn't clog up with snow and wasn't too hard to fit together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:03 pm 

Tongue and groove would be a challenge from a manufacturing point of view. Using those inner edges could also create problems when on a traverse.

Porky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:24 pm 

I was thinking the tongue and grove be where the hooks are now, above the topsheet. Three or four would suffice. Maybe interlocking pegs would be a better description. (I'm not from a construction background if you can't tell already.) The female end could be hollow though all the way so the snow gets pushed through.

ps I wish I had a machine shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:05 am 

Yes need better system. Steppetity step, click click, zoom zoom. No machine shop here, but I can write and file patents. And beta test de sheeit outta anything.