Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: why doesn't Burton make a SplitFish?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:23 am 

hello

just pondering that the board "Fish" by Burton is such a great Powder board then why do they not make the Fish as a Split?? let me hear you feed back. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:33 am 

Because we splitters are older , and dont spend enough money. The 13-20 year olds arent interested in splitting so they wont sell. Besides BURTON SUCKS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:21 pm 

Why dont you just split one yourself. I think a Malalo split would be cool too, or better yet split a Vapor - Talk about reduction of weight, slap a pair of C60 on there and youve got a damn light setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:39 pm 

Don't split a Vapor unless you want to ruin it (i.e. I doubt it would work out considering the core is aluminum honeycomb). Besides, do you really think you could bring yourself to take the saw to a $950 board?? :)

As far as the split Fish, Burton did apparently do a prototype split version a few years back. Some guy on the forum has one. That's with the Burton interface system though. I think Burton has pretty much lost interest in the split market, so we're lucky they even offer the one split model (which is a great board). So you'll probably want to do it yourself. I actually had a self-split Fish, but sold it because it felt too short for me. I know there are some other folks on this board riding a self-split Fish.

Here are some helpful DIY split notes:
http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=542

I think a Malolo split would be cool too... I have one under construction right now. Will report back after I get some time in on it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:21 pm 

Yeah, I wouldnt seriously split a Vapor. I was just talking out of my ass, saying that would be cool to have a set up that light. Im interested in the Malolo though, let me know how it turns out. BTW, how do you split a burton with the 3 hole pattern. Can the saw go right through the inserts, making a clean cut or do you have to work around them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:09 pm 

Yeah, you can saw through the inserts - just make sure you have a carbide-tipped blade (I used a handheld rotary saw on the first board I cut, and a table saw on the second one), and don't plan on that blade being very useful afterwards. It makes a horrendous noise, and the inserts get red-hot and sparks are flying everywhere :shock:... but it does work.