Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mount Timp, Southern Wasatch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:43 pm 

Last Thursday I was itching to try out my new hard boots and get some riding in again. So, i decided to hike 6 miles in to the base of the Mount Timpanogus "Glacier" (snowfield) and see how conditions were. The hike in was nice, and I was suprised to find 3-8 inches of new snow on top of the glacier.

I took a short run to try out my new Matrix boots, and then, when I was satisfied that I was not going to die, climbed up to the second summit. (11,700 ft)

After basking in the sun for a little while and having a zen moment I decided to climb back down the the glacier and ride down. The run felt good, and it was nice to be "back in the saddle again."

By the time I got back down to the car, my body was wishing that there was a little more snow around. In two months, what took me 3 hrs to decend by foot and board, would only take about 20 min... sigh.

Nothing like hiking 14 miles for a few turns! [/img]

Post subject: Re: Mount Timp, Southern Wasatch
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:07 am 

HammBone wrote:
Nothing like hiking 14 miles for a few turns!

And you made a down payment in the karma-bank for a soon to be future powder day! 8)

Way to get some and thanks for sharing! :thatrocks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:39 pm 

You forgot to mention how the new boots felt? Also how was the day you were up there in the member pics, that day looked sick? I hiked that last winter for the 1st time, it was super fun, every kind of condition, loved it. I saw a post of some guys who hiked up the peak on the left when you hit the saddle above the snowfield and skied down into that drainage above Sundance, it looked like a really sick line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:54 pm 

The boots felt like a dream while I was skining up, but the ride down was a little different... on that occasion.

I actually climbed up there today with 5 friends and rode the snowfield twice. The boots felt alot better. It just is going to take a little bit to get used to all the edge control and the support that I feel. I used to ride in really soft swithch step-ins which required more effort to initiate turns and hold them. By the second run, I was feeling much more confident and I really like how they conform to my feet after I thermo-fitted them.

I will post some pics from the trip tommorow when my girlfriend brings her camera over to download the photos.

Also, where did you read about riding the south-east line of Timp. It is a line that I have been scoping out for about a year and plan on ridding when we get 8 more feet of snow. I would like to know more about the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:38 am 

It was a post on Telemarktips.com, in what was done last spring, it looked like an epic line.