Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jackets - Helmet compatible with powder skirt?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:36 am 

I'm having a hard time finding a good jacket that is both helmet compatible and has a powder skirt... Most serious climbing jackets work with helmets but don't have powder skirts. Most serious BC ski/snowboard jacket have powderskirts but smaller hoods...

Currently using an Arcteryx Sidewinder which is great except for the tight hood and color (dark green, very stupic for BC use).

At this point, I'm thinking of just getting a climbing jacket that fits and seam taping in a homemade powderskirt.

FWIW, this is for the PacNW where it'll have to deal with some rainy/misty days as well as snow.

TIA,

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:37 pm 

What is your price range on jackets? That might deter you away from some.

I have a Burton AK jacket(gift) and it has a powder skirt and fits over my helmet.
The jacket is a M, I only wear a small helmet. Some helmets are extremely bulky depending on the size you wear. A lot of newer helmets are more low-profile but I could see many not fitting in a hood.

I'm think some of the Mountain Hardware jackets have a powder skirt and large hoods. I'm pretty sure when I've flipped thru some of the new bc mags that some of the jacket makers advertise both of those features.
Keep looking. I wouldn't mess up a new jacket trying to sew in your own skirt. Lots of hassle and you'll probably end up ruining an expensive jacket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:25 pm 

Do yourself a favor and get some pants with a powder skirt (it is more like a cumberbun) makes a powder skirt on a jacket seem like a backwards idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:20 pm 

flatlander wrote:
Do yourself a favor and get some pants with a powder skirt (it is more like a cumberbun) makes a powder skirt on a jacket seem like a backwards idea.

What brand of pants have these so called "powderbuns"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:33 pm 

3snowboards wrote:
flatlander wrote:

What brand of pants have these so called "powderbuns"?

I was thinking the same thing but I have no clue how it would even work. I've already got a pair of Arcteryx bibs so it's a non-starter anyway.

After searching all the websites and visiting REI and Marmot Mountainworks, I've come up with two possibilities:

Cloudveil RPK - a Goretex softshell. I have no experience with this maker so I'm flying blind with this one.

Marmot Resolution - a Goretex hardshell, nice jacket that I tried with a climbing helmet and it seem to work OK. Should be OK with my snowboard helmet too.

Thx,

T.