Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:56 pm 

Man, you guys in Utah need to get out of your bubble a little... either that or do folks the curtoesy of reading posts thuroughly.

I've ttried to convince Donek to make splitboards, because (as I think I;ve stated many times) most people in the market can use them, enjoy them, etc...

It cracks me up how even the thought of anyone using anything different sends you, and Jive into such a spin.

I like approach skis... they work better for me and teh way I want to ride. If that really upsets you, then you need to get over yourself.

FYI - you're out of your mind, if you think that taking a splitboard into the high mountains is really the best option... again, results speak louder than all your spew.

And, since it's a pretty well known story, I made it to 19k on Denali, twice, solo... then I went home early, because my wife was having a miscarraige... the fact that you see turning back at 19k in a storm as somehow a failure just proves your complete lack of knowledge of what it takes to climb at that level.

Anyway, have fun in your little sandbox, and don't bother opening your eyes to anything else.. .it's obviously lost on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:33 pm 

Zach wrote:
As for the insults... take a good look at your attitude.

The "holier-than-thou"/"I know better than everyones else" thing is gettin' old.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Though not directed to jive stick. :)

I mean seriously, does this discussion always have to devlove into a rant? Just agree to disagree and drop the name-calling. Different strokes for different folks. I'm in the soft boot/strap binding crowd myself, because right now the downhill performance/feel is more important to me (and I could see advantages to hardboots/plates on the downhill if I was riding primarily hardpack... but I'm not). I put up with issues on the uphill. I'd love to see a production version of something like BCD's boot/binding mods that has the advantages of a PMB on the uphill, skinning, and booting, but that has a more softboot feel on the descent.

In the meantime I'll stick to my crappy Burton split and dumb Verts. :) Where's p420? I think we all need to have a safety meeting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:55 pm 

Zach i'm very sorry for your personal struggles, we each have our own. I'm sorry for any suffering you or your family members have experienced!

This is not a Utah/Cali thing, I'm a California native- born in the bay area and raised in SoCal until my teens, until I moved to the NW. I think Jim Zellers, another Californian could back me up. He's a snowboard mountaineer that put up numerous first descents in the Sierra's using splits as his primary tool. Homebrews even. Zellers is an example that points towards the future of splitboard mountaineering. Dan Mingori, another quiet Californian is busy being the real deal. Dropping burly lines in the most challenging of CA's Sierra's- doing it all on a splitboard. I could go on and on about the lines being ridden by splitboarders as many of them are taking part on this forum. They all know what the boards can do. Many of the people here could shred lines all over the world's mountains given any type of funding.

The scary question for many of us now is: Am I good enough to take this board to where it will allow me to go?

Again:
Quote:
Equipment selection is based more upon personal preference. I'm happy for all snowboarders getting turns in whatever way works for them, or in whatever way fits their budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:06 pm 

F*ck the boots. Now I want a purple snowsuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:21 pm 

See,

Here's what I don't get:

I point out that:

a. splitboards and soft boots are great for all sorts of technical and awesome lines in the Sierra and Wasatch, etc... other relatively moderate altitudes

&

b. that hard boots and plate bindings are the favored option for high-altitude mountaineering.. and, in my case just general backcountry, because of the way I like to ride.

Reaction:
The Voile guys act like 10-year-olds defending their playground turf.

Seriously, you guys need to lighten up. As much as you want them to be, your products are not the "be-all/end-all" for everyone.

Trust me, I thought splitboards were greatest thing since sliced bread, for a few years... I even pushed for a "split-only" review in Couloir... then, I opened my eyes a little and realized that just because something works for me, doesn't mean it works for everyone else... and, I had the opportunity to find something that works even better for me.

I guess it might make someone wonder why Voile seems so insecure?

Zach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:47 pm 

I thought the argument was about approach mode with a snowboard.

quiver pic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:03 am 

just look at the avatar, I don't think she cares what you use to get turns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:29 am 

Different strokes for different folks!!!!

Who Fucking cares....? Splitboard! Solidboard! Divingboard! Ok maybe not the last, but whatever works. I still think Splits are the grratsest, but if Zach wants to use Approch skis, who fucking cares!? Let him! He would prolly smoke a number of us. So would Jive on a split! WHo fucking cares!? (have i mentioned this yet?)

Everyone has there points. All are valid. BOTH SIDES! As entertaining as it is...let it rest.

OUT OF MY OWN CURIOSITY, What is your approach ski set-up zach? (im not trying to add fuel, im really curious what you are runnin') Any piccs would be sweet.

(by the way, this would have been so much cooler if the 2 arguing were hot chicks and topless....)

Post subject: Re: Couloir Hardgood Options Review
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:23 am 

Jeez. Can't you guys stay on topic around here?
Yeah, I know its fun to make fun of people. But I'm pretty sure this thread was aimed at JimW:

powderjunkie wrote:
I also thought it would be more enjoyable to make fun of jimw verts. I know Jim can take a lot of abuse from us. :D :D

Verts? That's just French for ‘can't snowshoe'. Free your heel, Jim. That way you'll be way more 'core than all those fixed-heel snowshoers out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:35 am 

[quote="affix snow"

OUT OF MY OWN CURIOSITY, What is your approach ski set-up zach? (im not trying to add fuel, im really curious what you are runnin') Any piccs would be sweet.

(by the way, this would have been so much cooler if the 2 arguing were hot chicks and topless....)[/quote]

Just look at LifeLink Split's avatar, when you read my posts....

Right now, i'm using some Karhu Metas..
- I peeled off the skin that came with them.
- replaced them with a Tractor Skin, cut it to fit wall-to-wall, and permanently riveted it on.
- took off the original bindings
- replaced them with Dynafit toe pieces and Voile Heel Risers.

I learned the hard way that those skis do not have strong enough cores to be drilled, and I pulled a binding out, the last day of my season last year.. fortunately it was firm enough to climb.

They are at a shop right now, where they are t-nutting the Dynafits. When I get them back, I'll shoot some pictures.

Zach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:43 am 

Aren't approach ski's basically like Snowlerblades??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:33 am 

I was going to get a good deal on some Karhu Metas, and I thought they would be the path of least resistance to the BC considering the costs of splitting (even self split).

But then I realized, those bad boys are almost four feet long. At 5' 7", I don't see that flying on the descent. If I was 6' plus, it might be a consideration. The shorter approach skis threaten to be a postholing nightmare slog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:51 am 

Keeping in mind, at all times, that I know next to nothing, readily admitted, here's a picture of a Canon snowlerblade 104, t-bolted to accept a telemark binding. I prefer a wider snowlerblade than the karhu version, for stability reasons. That item would be fourth from the looker's left in the approach ski quiver pic.

This particular item also has an adapter plate bolted on to accept, heaven forbid, a "Voile" vp2 binding, which allows use of a mountain or at boot.

I prefer the skins removable so, in case of rolling terrain requiring skis for travel, the skin can be removed (imagine that?), allowing a bit of glide.

Disclaimer:

I don't know nuthin and don't give a shit.

:wink:

Wish it'd snow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next