Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Couloir Hardgood Options Review
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:12 am 

Couldn't bring myself to post on that other very important thread, so.......

As I was reading the article I began to realize that some of these guys set-ups seemed very familiar. I recognize a few names, but then it dawned on me how many profiles are on this forum.

Many from the old days from the Couloir forum.

Overall, I thought it was a good options review.

I also thought it would be more enjoyable to make fun of jimw verts. I know Jim can take a lot of abuse from us. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:45 am 

what's that article about? sounds interesting. I rented a warren miller flick from the library, and actually enjoyed it, it had a few sections on backcountry touring and riding. I was amazed to see John Griber ripping his hard boot set up down some big mountains. He makes it look so easy. I would love to get some beta on exactly what his set up was. In pow I notice no difference between my MLT's and soft boots, but on hard pack I hate my mlt's, but always end up using them because they get me to the top on hard days, that I need to be kicking steps, or using crampons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:12 am 

Haven't been to a gym, lately? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:23 am 

I like it (and no, I'm not just saying that because I contributed). I think that is a great format for gear reviews.

In my opinion, traditional gear reviews are pretty much worthless. Reviews of things like skis, boards, boots, etc… have too many unknown and variable factors. They are probably a good selling point for a lot of magazines, but don't really provide any useful information. I can get the same generic information by viewing the specs for each product on that company's website.

Community gear reviews, like this one in Couloir, are really the only way to get good information on a product. Reviews like this are useful because they give info on what works, and WHY it works. All the products mentioned in that article were used over a relatively long period of time. They weren't just taken out for 2-3 hours in the frontcountry.

I really wanted to write a review about my homemade, hack-sawed equipment, but instead had to keep it in the realm of the “commercially availableâ€Â

Post subject: Re: Couloir Hardgood Options Review
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:59 am 

powderjunkie wrote:
I also thought it would be more enjoyable to make fun of jimw verts. I know Jim can take a lot of abuse from us. :D :D

I don't know what you're talking about.

:)

Man, I haven't even seen the article yet and you're already giving me shit. I knew I could count on you!

[quote="bcd"]I really wanted to write a review about my homemade, hack-sawed equipment, but instead had to keep it in the realm of the “commercially availableâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:55 pm 

I thought so too that it was well done and said so on their forum. and I was trying to suggust the same. I'm sure I still don't have it quite dialed perfect yet. I've been going back and for with hard and soft since I started splitboarding. The comments in the article will help quite a bit. More of the "bread and butter" stuff would mak it that much more useful. Maybe next year :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:24 am 

Like I said in the tabu thread, I thought Couloir's review was good. Obviously, I would have liked several pages dedicated to splitting but all in all it met my expectations. If I wasn't reading about this shit everyday on the web there would have been some good insight provided. Let's just hope that one day soon someone will put out a boot binding combo that makes the choice obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:25 am 

I know it has been said before, but keep in mind that reviews are written for people who are considerably less informed than the folks who frequent message boards like this one.

The vast majority of backcountry snowboarders are considerably less informed.

I'm pretty sure that Craig had been talking about doing this type of article before I ever came around... but, as long as I was at Couloir, I was pushing for it. i can't count the number of times that I've run into people carrying a board in their arms, trudging out from a resort, or up some small hill off the road... people like that need to know about the different options available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:10 pm 

[quote]I really wanted to write a review about my homemade, hack-sawed equipment, but instead had to keep it in the realm of the “commercially availableâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:47 pm 

I liked it - I thought it was a succinct overview of most of the gear options and the tradeoffs. Props to Couloir for not seeking out someone with a traditional snowshoe setup (even if they do see more use than approach skis.) Props to Jimw for campaigning for the production of snowboard specific mountaineering boots. Props all around for articulate, well-reasoned descriptions of their setups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:29 pm 

As a newbie who has spent the last year visiting splitboard.com and Couloir's discussion board daily (or more) with the intent of learning about getting backcountry turns on a snowboard, I think the piece confirms what I have learned, that different approaches exist each with their advantages and disadvantages.

It bears one thing out: backcountry snowboarding is by no means a settled issue. In the future, an article detailing modifications is essential...it's an unsettled science, right?

BTW, I am a first time subscriber to Couloir because of splitboard.com, well at least splitboarding (and because it is great mag...has PrimeMedia called yet? You said no, right? Good.)

Thanks to everyone for free flow info! Sorry for such a long post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:35 am 

I thought that the couloir hardgoods review was good, but I am biased because I helped write it (thanks Graham for including us). I do wish that we had a snowboard mountaineering specific boot. I, too, am glad that Jimw mentioned that. I do look forward to the day when there are as many snowboard boot/binding options as AT or tele, but that is not the case right now. Maybe things will change with all of the new companies making splitboards. Maybe we should make like Maggots and start our own damn boot company. Anyone care to join me? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:23 am 

Wyomingsplit_ride wrote:
I thought that the couloir hardgoods review was good, but I am biased because I helped write it (thanks Graham for including us). I do wish that we had a snowboard mountaineering specific boot. I, too, am glad that Jimw mentioned that. I do look forward to the day when there are as many snowboard boot/binding options as AT or tele, but that is not the case right now. Maybe things will change with all of the new companies making splitboards. Maybe we should make like Maggots and start our own damn boot company. Anyone care to join me? :D

I agree on ALL counts.
Especially the Boots one. Im game...how do we "press" boots....? :D