Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eas Coast Shed Heads Unite!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:14 am 

Hey guys,

I'd like to catch up with some backcountry people in New England. I just moved back to ME from Idaho and want some die hards to ride with. I'm 27 yrs old, new to splitting but not the backcountry. I'm looking forward to Mt. Washington this year gliding up instead of hoofing it and trying any solid backcountry in ME, VT, or NH. Also, anyone out West??? I'll be out to a few spots this winter for meetings...so maybe someone wants to share secret spots with a newbie?

Looking to get my first board (either NS or Prior) this winter. I have xperience cross country skiing and using those approach skis, so splitting won't be a problem for me.

I have dropped some pretty gnarly lines in the WY/UT backcountry- not to brag, just to let you know that I'm not a liability and I have a passion for this stuff. :D Man this sounds like a personal ad....

Let me know if you're interested. jddegraaf1@yahoo.com Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:34 am 

We should talk about doing an ice-coast splitfest. Now that I've made the suggestion, I'll call NOT-IT on organizing. :)

As for cool stuff to do in NE... dacksdescents is over in the adirondacks (huh... go figure. :shock: ) and he's got some sick looking stuff scoped out there (and a bok to document it). I've ridden Washington from the summit, and it's not necessarily the kind of thing that's better to do on a split, since skis aren't allowed on the tuckerman ravine trail.

One line I'd like to do this winter is the Zealand Falls. It's an easy hike/skin in for about 6 miles, crash at the AMC hut, then hike up to the top of the creek. Of course, if there's not enough snow, it's gonna be a cold, wet ending, but last winter, even with the terrible snow conditions, it was strong enough for us to jump up and down on in most places without breaking through. There are a couple of tight tree runs on hiking trails in the area too that are covered in the AMC BC ski/board book.

Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:00 am 

Sweet--good deal! Too bad about the Washington rule of no skis on the trail...perhaps going up the sherburne ski trail? Regardless I'd like to do Washington on a good day in the winter and hit up the pow. Spring riding is good there, but a pow run down Chute or Left Gully?! RAD. But Zealand Falls sounds good! I wouldn't mind checking out VT since I've been reading a lot about Mt. Mansfield off of Stowe in some magazines. There's always Katahdin if you're up for a drive. That might be a super bc experience! I'm up for anything...winter camping is always a good time.

As the snow flies we can re-address ice-coast split fest. I call not it too :P because I think us eastcoaster can keep it pretty informal and just send out a note on this forum and to some EMS shops etc to get the word out. Pick a date and time a few of us can do it and see who all shows up. I'd suggest opening it up to tele skiers, but as a boarder I find it hard to stomach them sometimes! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:48 pm 

Pulp Fiction: "My girlfriend's a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegetarian, but I DO enjoy a teasty burger."

my gf is a knee dropper. Since she's my Sunday River hook-up, I think I HAVE to invite her along or risk getting cut off! :wink:

Post subject: Ice-coast BCfest
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:06 pm 

The more I think about it, the more this sounds like a really good idea... Considering there are *NO* east-coast stores that carry splitboards, maybe we need to get one of our buddies from Voile out here with a couple of boards to show off... :twisted: I know the guy that is a caretaker at the Tuck's AMC shelter (His name is Seth, and he's a wicked-cool guy) has a Winterstick Split that he tested...

Anyway, considering that there aren't so many splitboards in these parts, I definitely think we should consider it as a "Backcountry" fest, instead of a "splitfest". Maybe we could get EasternBoarder or EMS to be a sponsor...

The possiblities swirl... I'll post a poll later to see if we can get some real interest...

Did I say "Not It"? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:35 pm 

sup boys and girls. i've recently relocated from the Big Sky area in MT. i hope to be located somewhere in VT once the snow flies. not exactly sure where though. i'm down for some splitting for sure......within a reasonable driving distance of course. i was also thinking about hitting up Mt Wash late winter, but it's pretty grim to get a "good" day up there. i'll keep my fingers crossed for a "good" morning. use this board!

in regards to an east coast splitfest, i vote for touring gear as mandatory equipment. ie: no slowshoes. mandatory avi gear as well. this may help with the gaper factor. what's the consensus on that? all touring gear equipment is welcomed of course (tele, rando, split, etc).

pick these up if you can.

NY/VT book
Maine/NH book

cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:05 am 

The reason I would make it more open is to raise awareness of splitting on the east-coast in general. If you did a couple of different "trips" from a single base-camp, you could definitely split people up into snowshoe groups vs. touring gear groups. I was also thinking about talking to the guys at IME in north conway about doing something in connection with their Ice Festival, but that probably wouldn't get too far (I think it would be easier to get IME excited about it if they were Voile dealers.)

Avalanche gear should be a requirement in any area not patrolled/checked (in other words, Mt. Washington is the ONLY BC place in New England I consider it okay to go w/o avy gear, because they have daily avy forecasts, a couple rescue caches, and a volunteer ski patrol)

The challenge then becomes finding a central location where both touring trips and snowshoe trips would be feasible to run... I'm not sure if the Mt. Washington Valley is the best place or not, but it seems like VT has some good backcountry (The VT/NY book is on my shopping list).

Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:33 am 

hi all!

i would love to hook up with some splitboarding folks! i'm located in southern new hampshire, but i rent a ski house with some friends in the mad river valley area...lots of good east coast bc up that way...and jay is only an hour north.

this year we're planning to alternate weekends between resort and bc riding, and we're totally willing to do stuff in NH...or wherever. we can also probably host a couple at our ski house a few times. anyway. let's get this rolling this year! let me know how i can help. even if its just bringing the beer. :)

later!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:05 am 

Definately up for hookin'....up for some BC this winter...

And Shep, as far as MT. Washington/Skiing....um the Sherburne SKI TRAIL is for skiing. Yes, you cant ski DOWN the TUX trail, but you can skin up....YOU CAN SLIDE DOWN THE SHERBURNE SKI TRAIL :D

Im fairly versed in the Daks and on Mt. Washington...

Keep in touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:48 am 

I wasn't specific enough. My only confusion was on whether people would give you crap for skinning up the Tuck's trail. Thanks for the clarification, as I've carried my board up there once, and that was once too many. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:17 am 

Good deal! We have some interested people, most with experience, and a mixed bag of splitters, tele, and rando (my fiancee is getting her first set up this winter-don't tell!).

Looks like we have a potential place to crash near mad river. I can't go too close to the resort though, I might burst into flames as a sinner :twisted: !

Mt Washington huts and parking lots in VT near Mansfield will do in a pinch as well! As winter approaches I can hit up EMS in Portland ME and Hatley, MA for some ads of backcountry fest or whatever we're calling it.
Only requirement I see is: attitudes have to be checked at the trail head! :P

There are also plenty of closed down old resorts in NH and VT that will suffice as backcountry. Even Cannon has some old trails away from the resort. While Washington is great on a great day, it is tricky in the winter. There are other options too on Wash instead of Tucks- Gulf of slides, other cirques, Madison, Lafayette etc.
Maybe Winterstick could be a sponser of some sort since they have a factory in Freeport, ME. Who knows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:45 am 

What about Gulf of slides for a trip? I've gone down into the gulf after climbing up from the Dodges side. Great descent and looked like would be a good skin in....

Also don't forget about skinning the resorts before the season opens - usually pretty good snow but would be good to have an older board!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:39 pm 

I don't know...resorts open before thanksgiving w/ man made snow...usually no real snow unless we get a killer nor'easter. Plus, I won't have a split until December probably...

Gulf of slides I hear is a good skin in. An avalanche safety company in Conway takes people up there....should be a good trip for sure.