Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:19 pm 

LBR wrote:
I bought it from Allboards Sports in Boulder. They have Prior Splits in a variety of shapes and sizes-swallows, khybers and regular shapes.

The only people complaining about quality are the ones who ordered factory direct. Obviously they have all summer to pump out good boards to put in a store. I don't think that offering a shirt because the guy in the layup room made a mistake is justifiable for a $1000 purchase. Maybe they should only do in store sales...

Eco...u are being a tad harsh. Like PJ mentioned there are several quality boards out skinning the slopes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:17 pm 

Ok, I'll admit. I'm coming across too harsh. Especially for not having had my own personal experience with them. I met Dean at the Tahoe splitfest and he is a genuine, hardworking guy.

Am I a total puss if i ask to recall my earlier statement that I would never buy a Prior board?...only used or from a retailer though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:19 pm 

I just felt like stirring up some shit. But, my statement still stands.

Off to get a margarita.

PN likes her prior.

Post subject: my experience
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:39 pm 

I just got a khyber a month ago that I had custom made. Prior called me about 2.5 weeks after I ordered it and told me that it would take another week because the guy who does the laminating was out with a knee injury. The board came in exactly one week. I love my board and I thought that it was good of Prior to call me and tell me that it was going to take a few more days. I would get another one from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:53 pm 

I had no troubles when I ordered my customed prior. I dealt with Dean the whole time and he took care of it. But that was some years back so the company I'm sure has grown a bit since. After reading some of these personal experiences I'm a bit sketched now. I was really eyeing a used/demo'd kyber 160.

Post subject: misdrilled holes
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:53 am 

thought i would chime in and say i got mine (prior backcountry 168) from a retail store and turns out the holes are misdrilled - off maybe by a millimeter - but for 1000 clams this should be precision craftsmanship!

reading this thread is somewhat shocking considering the high remarks the boards from this company usually get. i didnt bother to let prior know about this and after your posts i probably wont at all. in any case i still love the board and love splitting but i would seriously consider spending more money with prior. sorry to all you folks out there who have had some serious issues but thanks for posting bout them!

Post subject: Re: misdrilled holes
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:01 am 

fullers2oh wrote:
thought i would chime in and say i got mine (prior backcountry 168) from a retail store and turns out the holes are misdrilled - off maybe by a millimeter - but for 1000 clams this should be precision craftsmanship!

I was wondering why we had to install your split crampons with a rock...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:58 am 

My BC split just showed up yesterday. I'm still getting it set up (need to buy shorter bolts for my bindings) but so far I have no complaints. Dean did call a few days before sending it out to say that there was a small blemish on the top sheet and that they would be sending me a t-shirt to make up for it.

I understand the sentiment that a $1K board should be flawless but, man, I can barely even see the blemish and I'm a t-shirt junky. It's not like I'll never put a scratch on the thing when I'm using it. I kinda wish it had more blems, I could use some more clothes for this winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:38 am 

ok, i'm gonna bite on this thread. i resisted the temptation to post an angry thread last season because i did not want to sound hot headed. however, its been awhile, and i think that this is now completely on topic with this thread.

anyhow, last season I called bently at NS because i wanted a 165 t5split to match my 163 t5 solid that i have been so psyched on. bently tells me that they are out of t5 cores and its gonna be 5 weeks minimum. i do the math in my head and realise i'm looking at a delivery of mid-late march...pretty much end of the season. the snow was flying here in the tetons, so i call up prior, and talk to a dude there. he tells me they have a 165 bc split right there that they could have shipped to me by the end of the week. done deal, i buy the board. at the end of the week, the board comes in on the ups truck. my first thought when i see the package is...wow! that is by far the shittiest packing job i have ever seen. it was basically a single wrap of thin corrogated cardboard, and zero padding between the packaging and the board.

i take the board home, and am not more than 3 minutes into trying to get it setup to ride when i notice 2 large edge compressions on the left side of the board. the base was bubbled out significantly in both spots...one was about 1" long, the other was about 3/4" long, both bubbles went out 1/2-3/4" from the edge. the next morning i call prior. i am very upset given that i just emptied my bank acct to buy a board that has 2 edge compressions. shawn, the customer service guy tells me that its not a big deal, and tells me to take it down to a local shop and have them fix it. the sounds completely assinine to me. i just dropped almost a grand on this board, and now he wants me to pay to have it fixed. so i tell him that this is unacceptable. he gets very defensive saying that ups is at fault and that they did nothing wrong. i tell him that i can't completely believe that considering the absolutly horrid packing job. he tells me that if i ship the board back they will repair it at the factory, no offer for a new board is made, and i'm left with only that option.

the next day i go to ups, i ask the woman there about ups covering the damages since they were likely the ones that caused it (even though there was no visable damage to the cardboard in the affected areas, i figured prior woulden't send me a F'ed up board factory direct). the woman at ups tells me there is no way ups will cover the damage because there is supposed to be a minimum 2" of padding between a box and the item inside. on top of this, she tells me that package was not insured for damages either...funny, because i thought that i dropped close to $70 on shipping. i'm pretty sure that with $70 they could have shipped the board to wyoming, insured it, and still had a few bucks leftover. so i ship it back. while its in transit, i decide to press for a new board or a refund. i contact prior, but get no response. on saturday afternoon, i get an email from shawn saying, your board is done, it will ship on monday. i immediatly write him back saying DO NOT ship the board to me until we talk on the phone. i tell him that i want a new board or a refund, and that i do not want the repaired board. sunday, i get no response. on monday i call prior. shawn says, oh i'm sorry, the board went out this morning, i didn't get your email until after the board shipped out but i know that you'll be psyched on the board when you get it. so let me get this straight, you are a customer service agent for a company and you manage to work all day sunday, and monday morning without checking your email, isn't that generally the very first thing you do when you get to work? plus, its not like the ups man shows up at 7am for a pickup. so at this point, i realise that i'm pretty much screwed. now that board has been sent, my chances of either a new board, or a refund are slim.

a week and a half later the board comes in the mail. i can still see plain as day where the edge compressions were. the base is mostly flat but i can still see slight bubbling in the base. the sidewalls still look slightly dented in, and the edge is noticably not straight...close but no cigar. on top of this, the left half of the base has been given a base grind. everyone knows once you grind a base that it will never have the same structure as factory. thats why alot of shops tell you not to do one unless it is very necessary. the left half looked way rattier than the right when i got it, but it had a fresh coat of wax, so i didn't really notice how bad it was. however, after the second day of riding when the wax wore off, it looked like it was sanded with 80 grit paper compared to the other side. in addition, the time it has taken to get the board , ship it back, get it repaird, and then ship it back to me has taken 5 weeks, the same amount of time i thought was too long to wait for a NS. so i call back prior, and ask what they are gonna do for me since i paid retail for a retail quality board and ended up paying retail for a 2nd quality repaired board whose structural integrity of the edges in those 2 spots are still in question. i get the same old...there is nothing wrong with the board deal that i have heard from them 10x before. funny, cause every shop in town that i showed the board to told me that the edge is not as strong in those spots as it was when it was new. anyhow, i am realising at this point that i'm not gonna get a new board, or my money back, so i ask if they can throw me a set of crampons so that i don't feel so screwed. i get the "i don't have the authority to authorise this sort of thing" shpeel, and get told that he has to talk to the boss and he'll call me back tommorow. a week goes by, no call from prior. i call, and get told that the boss is out of town, i'll call ya back after the weekend.

wednesday comes the next week, still no call from prior. so i call. i still get no answer on the crampons, so i ask to speak to the boss, and he puts dean on. i tell dean my story, ask him if he can throw me a set of crampon to make up for my 5 week wait, the fact that i have a damaged board that i paid retail for, and all the BS that i have had to deal with. i tell him that i don't think this is an absurd request considering that i know that they can't pay any more than $40 wholesale for those (i know, cause i worked in retail at a placed that sold voile 3 months prior to ordering the board). instead of humoring me even slightly, i get attitude, and lots of it. i keep telling him how i am not happy with the way things have gone and that i just wanted my money back, etc. he keeps towing the company line and talking about how they are such a small company and that they have incurred all these costs because they paid to have the board shipped back to me etc. i retort that since they sold me the board at retail, they made their 35-40% margin that they would not have made if i bought the board at a store that paid them wholesale for it. he keeps talking about how i need to understand that this whole fiasco is costing them money, etc and that giving me crampoins and shipping them is gonna cost them even more money. i ask him if hes gonna keep dragging his feet or give me some crampons. he tells me he'll make me a deal and sell me some crampons for $25 (some deal considering their wholesale price for them). at this point, i was done dealing with dean and his BS, so i basically told him to keep his crampons and that this was by far the worst customer service i have ever had. i hung up the phone and have had zero contact with them since.

when all was said and done, i ended up paying full for a board with 2 edge compressions. i wasen't offered anything, no new board, no refund, no money off, not even a goddamn sweatshirt. i will never ever ever do any business with that comapany again...not for any reason. all in all, i probably should have just been patient and waited for the NS, but i didn't, and i got stuck with the prior. took me 3 months to find a sticker big enough to cover the prior logo on the topsheet.
chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:32 am 

Wow! That is quite a story chris. Sorry to hear about it for sure. :cry:

I sure hope they are reading it and taking it to heart.

Specifically this.

ctowles wrote:
i will never ever ever do any business with that company again...not for any reason.

Pretty much goes against the "customer for life" approach.

ps. use paragraphs for a post that long next time. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:06 pm 

bcr,
i edited the post so its a little easier to read. i was thinking it was a bit long last night, but then again, the post needed to be that long to describe all the BS that i delt with. as far as the loyal customer thing, i explained to everyone that i talked to at prior that i do live in jackson hole, wyoming, one of the backcountry meccas of this country and that making enemies with me, a 100+ day a year backcountry snowboard bum was not in their best interests as far as selling splitboards goes. i see and ride with alot of poeple here, and anybody that asks me how i like my board gets the same response "don't bother...buy a never summer". if they sound as if they are seriously thinking of buying a prior, they hear about my experiance. i hope i sell alot of boards for bentley, that dude is the man, and i like the idea of supporting some homegrown rocky mtn folks. and if i can manage to somehow get rid of this thing without completely losing my shirt on the deaL i'll hopefully own one of his boards too.
chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:16 am 

Wow that story sucks, No happy ending. I had a post last year about my bc partners board dillema where the kyber sidewall cracked in many different places for little or no reason. The company treated him way better though. At least they fixed the problem. He still sold the board and bought a NS and likes the NS way more anyway. I rode it and it's way more solid though a little heavier. If you have the money buy a NS. If you don't have the money finance an NS some how. They are bomber and customer service is top notch! No I don't work for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:04 am 

Just to make sure that the right guy gets this latest story....try this

cprior@priorsnowboards.com

It will be interesting to see how he responds. It's the email address for Chris Prior.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next