Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pics from New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:19 pm 

heres some photos from some recent trips around the south island in NZ, this is my first attempt at posting images so forgive me if i screw it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:22 pm 

sorry bout the size!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:54 pm 

Good stuff bro! Looks like great conditions. 8)

Try to resize them though. Use a photo program (tons of free ones out there and probably one already on your PC).

I've been to NZ twice in my rock star days (late 90s) and I'd love to get back there to do some splitting. Where exactly are these pics from? The club fields?

Ps. Stoked to have you on the site, thanks for sharing! :thatrocks:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:03 pm 

Don't sweat the size splittin...great to have you sharin. Looks like a great day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:53 pm 

Heres a second attempt at the photos. Split board in front, slow shoes behind. the previous powder shots are from the Ryton Valley, beside Mt Olympus and the first shot is from Tarn Basin. Both in the Craigieburn range.

enjoy, cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:00 am 

Beautiful! Splitting/surfing New Zealand is my dream trip right now. Not that I have any plans in the works, though. What is the best month to go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:56 pm 

mid to late august is prob the best time for snow, but the seasons in NZ can be a little unpredictable, we have had a great winter this year with consistent snowfall. late september early october is good if you wanna have a mix of good surf and spring corn. its worth a visit!
cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:36 pm 

those are some great pics and they bring back memories. when i was about 11 yrs old (in 1974) my mom took us ski junkie kids to NZ for a month and we rented this pink house in queenstown and skied at coronet peak (the biggest resort at the time) every day. it was totally different back then, no lift lines, the mountain wasn't crowded. most people would just ski down under the lifts but my brother and i figured out how to follow some tracks off to the side and ski untracked all day - it looked just like that.

those were the days huh - caus' a that s*** i'm a backcountry fiend. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:58 am 

AHHH! I love NZ. Spent three months livin in a van and riding everyday down there. The club fields rule. I really liked temple basin.The hike in keeps the riff raff out. I got no photos on file now but will try to find some. I'm all about the BC but we were there for the first year of snowpark and it was super fun too. Also the heli skiing there is super cheap. paid 200 for one day! Hook ups help. One place everyone should check out is a place called "The invincibles". They fly you into a cabin and have a nutcracker lift (whole nother story). Tons of bc hiking and great chutes and cliffs. Staid for 5 days w/ 20 other guys in this little cabin then on the last day did heli laps on the shit we had been looking at for the last 4 days. Super cheap with a group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:01 am 

Everyone going down south for summer/winter should check this place out http://invincibles.co.nz/index.html I think im in some of the photos on the website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:51 pm 

wouldnt quite call the invincibles cheap at $600 bucks for two days!!! i could get half a split for that price!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:32 am 

It was way cheaper when we we went. (@$200 nz) Must have gone up since.(we went 4 years ago) Like I said we had a large group of guys (I think it was about 20 dudes) Crammed into that little cabin but it was super fun. I slept in my tent outside. They were just getting started too and we were shooting promo photos. Does the $600 include heli skiingand is it nz dollars? If it does it's still cheap. I had a great time. We were there for like 5 days of bc hiking the terrain was great and pretty easily accessible. I didn't have a split then but it would have increased our options a ton. I gotta get back down to nz with my split!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:36 am 

oh yeah, what are you gonna do with only half a split? Push and glide like a skateboard? Ha ha ha, Just kiddin. Ps I'm super jelous I wish I was in the southern hemi right now. Denver sucks!