Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snowboard, bindings, and boots wanted
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:50 pm 

My daughter and I had "the" talk yesterday. She decided she wants to snowboard, not ski, this year. Sweeeet.

Anybody got a snowboard for a 35 pounder, preferably pink?

Here's a few picts of us hanging out this summer.

Chores
Summer time fun
Relaxing

We're excited about winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:49 pm 

Cool pics Eco! Daisy looks cute as ever and like she's getting' big. 8)

I have a 110cm board that was Skyler's first board and is now a hand me down to Haley that Daisy can borrow (but not for as long as my split ;) ). You could also probably pick a used one up for less than $100 if you look around. You can find boots and bindings (new) for as little at $29-45 each too. Try places like Big 5 and Sports Authority. We have some outgrown clothing that might work for her too. Come on up sometime soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:35 pm 

bcrider wrote:
but not for as long as my split

Sorry about that bro, I bet you missed so many turns last year :wink:

Seriously, thanks for the offer to borrow Sky's 110 but I think I want to pick one up.

Anybody got any tips for teaching a 3.5 year old how to board?

Post subject: Patience.....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:44 pm 

I've got a 95cm Burton Chopper I will be using this winter to teach my 4 yo grandson snowboarding on. Tip one; take the ski's too, she is used to facing the same way she is going, you will be asking her to relearn snowsports sliding one way while facing another. It is hard for a young person to think about rotating at the hips to make turns. Tip two; face the bindings more towards the nose if straight across the board isn't working, see reason #1. Good luck, some people just have a real hard time making the change. I've read that the swap should wait 'till they are 7-8 years of age, or at least some instructors say that. Tip #3; wait for a pow day, or at least some soft coverage, makes falling more fun.

Post subject: Re: Patience.....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:00 am 

Jon Dahl wrote:
Tip two; face the bindings more towards the nose if straight across the board isn't working

He's already trying to convert your daughter to hardboots. Sneaky!

Post subject: Re: Patience.....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:19 pm 

SanFrantastico wrote:
Jon Dahl wrote:
Tip two; face the bindings more towards the nose if straight across the board isn't working

He's already trying to convert your daughter to hardboots. Sneaky!
Pretty funny, but actually my youngest daughter is like 10f/0r on her bindings, and it's working out best, she also rides goofy and I ride regular. Just sayin' you gotta be flexible for the young ones when they are learning. I think I could drop my 15 yo step-daughter on a race stick in hardboots and have her up to speed in an hour, everyone is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:29 pm 

I'd rather her ski than hardboot! :wink:

I may have mislead when I said "she want to snowboard, not ski". She hasn't done either. Should she ski first?

How'd you start Sky and Haley, BCR?

Thanks for the tips, Jon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:49 pm 

did some volunteering with Burton's Chill program last year http://www.burton.com/Chill.aspx, and one of the instructors said that a "duck" stance worked best with small kids.

He said that little kids often don't have a feel for their stance and by putting them in duck stance, they could ride forward or fakie and they would naturally display their favored stance (regular or goofy) after a few goes of it. They also end up being more comfortable learning fakie when the time comes.

I think the "look where you want to go" principle applies to learning both skiing and boarding, we'll see!

I mentioned snowboarding to my 5 year old nephew in May, and he brought it up again last week. My sister even found "hand-me-down" clothes, so it looks like I will be doing some teaching this season too! I am childless and more than a little freaked out about the whole idea, but the kids must ride...it is my duty!