Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone ever winter camp in a canvas wall tent?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:09 pm 

Hey Kids...

My crew is looking in to picking up an old canvas wall tent to haul in as a base camp. Weight isn't a huge deal since we'll have snowmobiles to assist us. I have no experience winter camping in a wall tent (with a stove) and wondered if anyone else has. Spent some time in an igloo last winter, but it wasn't the warmest or driest accomodations. Anyway, let me know if you have tried it out and if I'm gonna frickin' freeze to death! We'll probably spend several days at a time. Thanks for any beta on the subject!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:00 pm 

I have no experience in a wall tent...but I've spent a few winter nights in a tee-pee with a woodstove and that was the bomb. My buddy lived in it through the entire winter just outside Hamilton, MT. It got warm enough to sit in just t-shirts inside and he dried his clothes on a line in there too. I'm not sure how long he'd have to leave stuff hanging to dry though. He did have the tee-pee up off the ground on an insulated wood deck style platform.
It was about 18' diameter.

Don't suppose I could come up and help for location :D
I have my own sleds... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:34 pm 

Hellroaring ski adventures in the centennials(MT/ID) uses a two wall tent setup and it works out pretty damn nice. I have gone there the last 3-4 years and like the wall tent setup(sure beats the sierra designs). Here's an idea of what it looks like http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtop ... highlight=

oh and it is plenty warm, just make sure you stoke the woodburning stove before bed and sometimes it helps to stoke it once through the night if you tend to sleep on the colder side(Cold doesn't bother me too much but my tentmates would wake up to stoke it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:00 pm 

I stayed in a canvas wall tent for a week once and it got too hot if we kept the stove going. It had a wood floor though so I'm not sure how much a difference that makes.

Ugh, basecamps rule!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:03 am 

I've done it, it's warm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:34 am 

Thanks for the info. I think we're going to hit the local Cabela's and see what kind of setups they have... maybe ebay would be more realistic!
Mtnrider... I'll let you know what happens. We're still in the shopping/planning mode right now. Things are looking good!

OH YEAH! ALMOST FORGOT! MY BRAND NEW BURTON SPLIT ARRIVED YESTERDAY! SOOOO SWEEEEET! LET IT SNOW! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:12 am 

Hi Boardergirl, just another option to think about... I have a never used Kifaru 4 man tipi with a wood stove for sale. Check out this site for info:http://www.kifaru.net/tipi4man.htm Willing to sale for half the listed price. A sweet setup, probably shouldn't be selling it, but need to. PM me if interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:04 pm 

sweet, sounds like powder-party-paradise! Cabela's will almost certainly be cheaper, but check out these guys: http://www.coloradoyurt.com/