Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7.27.06 - Conness
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:44 pm 

I started at Saddlebag pretty early in the morning. The trail around the lake is almost completely melted out. After that it's just one giant swamp to get to the snow.

crack flowers:

looking down on the glacier and the swamp below:

the Harding Route on the SW face:

West Ridge and Southwest Face of Conness:

Mt Lyell:

closer:

Looking back at the snow area and the north side of conness:

the line on the (lookers) left has a big bergschrund, but I was able to get around that on the (snowboarders) left side, as there is a chunk of snow that links through. Can't say how much longer it will be there for.
The Y appears to go top to bottom without a problem, and everything else has cracks big enough to swallow a few houses.

The snow is pretty good, considering it's almost August. The suncups aren't very big and everything has consolidated so that it isn't that slushy anymore, even in the late afternoon. From what I could tell there was no ice showing or forming anywhere.

From the snow, getting through the swamp to Saddlebag Lake was horrendous. Swarms of mosquitos, like nothing I've ever experienced in the Sierra, and mud that kept trying to pull my shoes off. I didn't bring bug spray because I thought "as long as I keep moving they won't get me".
That plan didn't really work out. Using my hat as a bug-swatter didn't really work either, and trying to run with a snowboard on my back was asking for trouble. But it's supposed to freeze this weekend, so hopefully that will help.

and some flowers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:04 am 

Great trip report. Cant believe you are still milking that area. Mud, mosquitos, sounds like you went to florida.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:29 am 

The West Ridge of Conness is a classic. I assume you stashed your board on the summit plateau while you climbed. That's a great idea to add a different descent to that climb, although the skeeter/mud report sounds pretty rough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:38 pm 

Nice! Looks like there are still some turns to be had out there. Here I thought my season was over, but I'm going to be out that way this weekend... hmm... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:23 pm 

Impressive dedication bcd!!! :thatrocks:

Funny story about the skeeters too! Just be glad you weren't camping in the swamp on your first trip to the area like I did. :shock: :)