Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daypack for carrying board & skis? Need advice.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:08 pm 

Looking for yet another daypack.. here's the mission: get wife into the BC. I ski, but she boards. I'm way bigger/stronger than her, so my plan was to let her skin up on short approach skis (120 cm Karhu Metas with modified bindings). I'll carry her board up for her, and on the descent I'll take her skis down for her.

So I need a day pack that can carry a snowboard as well as short skis. I've never carried a board on a pack (ever), and I've definitely never skied with skis on my back. What kind of attachment systems or pack designs would work best for this?

BTW, I went the approach ski route for a couple reasons: way cheaper than a splitboard, and she gets to down down on a board she has ridden a lot on already and is comfortable with. I don't mind carrying the board up, but I'm wondering how much its going to suck to ski with the Metas on my pack...

Thanks! (Also this is x-posted at TGR)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:12 pm 

Depending on what size pack you want etc. I've used both DaKine & Osprey packs and like them both. Either will carry a snowboard and/or skis. Yep,yep,yep.

*zoom*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:13 pm 

I would reconsider your options more. Skiing with the approach skis on your back is going to suck. The approach skis also won't provide the float, traction, or stride length that a splitboard will.

Keep in mind there are plenty of used boards out there as well as the split-kit approach...you dont have to buy a brand new splitboard.

Here is a pro/con list that might help too.

Approach Ski Option:

Pros
Cheaper than a splitboard.

Cons
You have to carry the skis on the way down = more energy used.
You have to carry the board on the way up = more energy used.
Less float, traction, and stride length = more energy used.
If you ever have to boot a section of the ascent now you have to carry your skis, her approach skis, and possibly her board (unless she does).
More energy used = less ground covered and less turns.

Splitboard Option:

Pros
You don't have to carry the skis on the way down = less energy used.
You don't have to carry the board on the way up = less energy used.
More float, traction, and stride length = less energy used.
Neither of you are carrying anything other than your packs on the ascent/descent.
Less energy used = more ground covered and more turns.

Cons
More expensive than approach skis

good luck either way and have fun! 8)

Post subject: Re: Daypack for carrying board & skis? Need advice.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:17 pm 

Patches wrote:
Looking for yet another daypack...

...but I'm wondering how much its going to suck to ski with the Metas on my pack...

This is probably self-evident, but you'll want a pack with a hip-belt on it. You'll also want to lash those Metas on with minimal movement. I found "A-Framing" the skiis to be helpful with regard to this...the diagonal lashing systems seemed to allow more sway.
Also found that ski ends hanging below the pack to be a pain when getting up from a sitting position...load the skiis high for this reason.
Some folks recomend wearing a helmet to keep ski-scalp contact down...but if your lashing techniques are good and your pack doesn't move, this isn't necessary.

Quote:
...and on the descent I'll take her skis down for her.

Good plan, I was goaded into doing this by other members of our party on our first backcountry trip ( "if you were a gentleman..." a rather ironic choice of words considering the individual doing the goading was an ardent feminist ) never-the-less, in retrospect it was a good move, as riding deep pow was sufficiently difficult for my wife's first backcountry trip without the excess weight of the approach skiis.

My wife was so impressed by the whole adventure, she now owns a voile SD as well as a prior split-swallowtail...

good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:30 pm 

InTheMountains wrote:
My wife was so impressed by the whole adventure, she now owns a voile SD as well as a prior split-swallowtail...

hey those arent appraoch skis. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:39 pm 

Quote:

hey those arent appraoch skis. ;)

heh heh heh... :oops:
looooonnnngggg story...but we used every method but motorised this past year...slow-shoes ( they still really suck ) approach skiis and split-boards.

i retro-fitted my wife's clicker-K2 approachskiis with dynafit bindings (...after she transitioned to a split... ) and then finally broke down and bought a voile 173 as well.
now i'm trying to decide whether or not to split my o'sin 4807 or buy a commercial split-swallowtail

guess you could say i'm a member of the fold

Post subject: Thanks for the input everyone
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:28 pm 

Bcrider, I agree- the approach ski thing is not my long term plan, but I've got to get her hooked first. I want to get her up on a peak at dawn with minimal suffering and send her down 3000' of untracked pow on her favorite big board. I'm pretty sure once I do that, she'll be begging me to take her out again, and after a dozen trips or so she'll be fit and psyched enough to trudge up on a splitboard.

Thinking the Osprey Switch 25+5 looks nice - horizontal & vertical snowboard carry, a-frame and diagonal ski carry. Plus Ospreys fit me well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:34 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Skiing with the approach skis on your back is going to suck.

Hey, that isn't what that dude said in the Backcountry magazine article! :) Then again, he also negated the one Pro you listed for approach skis by recommending the Burton Vapor $$$ as the ideal board...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:44 pm 

jimw wrote:
Hey, that isn't what that dude said in the Backcountry magazine article!

That article made me want to unsubscribe. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:58 am 

Sounds like a good plan Patches.

Have fun! 8)

Edit to add:

I'm a big fan of the Osprey packs too. :)

There is no Switch 25 next year though…the new Switch packs come in 16, 26, and 36 liters (I think and will confirm tonight). The new packs are really nice and I like the updated design better than last year's 25L. Having said that, the Switch 25 is still a good pack (although I prefer the Switch 18 &14) and you can probably find some great sales on them this time of year.