Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt. Adams - June 17th/18th
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:15 pm 

Me, barefoot women, beastmaster, and hubblescromp (names changed to protect identity) encountered perfect weather last weekend at Adams. The road is still snowed in about 3 miles from the trailhead but it was still nothing short of a weekday ski area up there with ski/snowboarders outnumbering normal climbers 10 to 1. Camped 1000 ft. lower than last time even though i told myself i would camp 1000 ft. higher. Image

Climbed about 6k from camp. Top was diehard ice chunks but everything below pikers was absolutely perfect. Back down to camp, gather the rest of our gear and head out towards our original(?) tracks. Now one thing that the bc ski books state about the southern Adams route is to mark your entrance back into the forest as it's very easy to miss the trail. Psshhttt, warnings...what the fuck are they good for? After another 1500 ft. of elevation loss on our boards we decided we should probably check GPS and map as noone is feeling we are heading in the right direction. GPS says head right, our guts say go left. We followed the computer right and continued down into the forest. No tracks in site, we were definately off our route. GPS says we are at the right elevation for the trailhead but a little too far right. We continued this zig zag right and left battling the gps and map for an hour or two, now way too low on our elevation. Absolutely bleary we sit down to ponder the options, noone feels they can climb the necessary 2000 ft. back up to where we went wrong. We are all mentally preparing to hunker down for the night in the woods, fry up some squirrel or something. After much argument, cursing, and the likes we decide that there is a river to the right and if we follow it we should come right to the car eventually. About 100 ft. from where we should have hit the river I spot some boot tracks in a snow patch. We decide this is a better option than our own suspect navigation skills at this point. 1 hour later the tracks run into an actual trail...20 min. later we have pavement under our boots...and then car with padded seats under our spent asses.

relief? yeah that's an understatement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:59 am 

What the hell is going on in the northwest? Multiple trip reports of people walking around in the woods with boards/skis on their back near mountains but never quite achiving the goal. Is this some sort of new trend? Does this mean I no longer have to drive 7 hours to the sierra? Can I go down my street and climb Cowels Mountain( elevation 1800 feet) and post a report? Maybe get me one of those dirt snowboard things? My wife is gonna like this , I will be home by noon every trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:08 am 

patroller420 wrote:
What the hell is going on in the northwest? Multiple trip reports of people walking around in the woods with boards/skis on their back near mountains but never quite achiving the goal. Is this some sort of new trend? Does this mean I no longer have to drive 7 hours to the sierra? Can I go down my street and climb Cowels Mountain( elevation 1800 feet) and post a report? Maybe get me one of those dirt snowboard things? My wife is gonna like this , I will be home by noon every trip.

Never achieving the goal!? I think you misread my trip report or I'm just terrible at explaining things. Summited Adams (12,276 ft.) The first 1000 ft. down was ice, 11,000 ft. to 4,500 ft. was absolutely perfect corn...p420, what is "the goal" if this is not it? more pics here if interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jzpictures/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:35 am 

I think P420 did mis-read the TR.

You guys were still smiling at the end so it couldn't have been too bad. :lol:

Thanks for posting. I gotta get Adams some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:15 am 

Sorry snowskate, I dint mean to bag on you or piss you off. I ment the whole reply as humerous. I did missread the report, didnt catch the part about good corn to camp. Sorry. But, if you read the last few trip reports , there was a lot of hiking with people getting turned away by too much bushwacking, big shrunds ect. Just having a little fun. Again sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:17 am 

Oh no offense taken at all, no worries. I have to laugh at these kinds of trip reports, it's amazing what bc skiiers and snowboarders will do for 30 seconds of a ride....if even that sometimes.

Even better is the reaction you get from fellow hikers ( :shock: ) when they see you with a snowboard on your back and not a glimpse of white in site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:40 am 

Like on my last trip. We camped at walker lake trail head. Dry, in the woods and the trail leads down 800ft. to walker lake. We wake up in time to see 3 or 4 guys with fly rods and creels. When they see our gear they reply "little Late in the Season for that isnt it?" Guess they dont see all those ridges cover with white. Oh yeah they are wwwwaaaaayyyy up there, but still rideable. Now, on the last leg of the hike in and all the hike out Im wondering why I didnt take up fly fishing. There shit looked like it weight 2 maybe 3 pounds total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:52 am 

patroller420 wrote:
Like on my last trip. We camped at walker lake trail head. Dry, in the woods and the trail leads down 800ft. to walker lake. We wake up in time to see 3 or 4 guys with fly rods and creels. When they see our gear they reply "little Late in the Season for that isnt it?" Guess they dont see all those ridges cover with white. Oh yeah they are wwwwaaaaayyyy up there, but still rideable. Now, on the last leg of the hike in and all the hike out Im wondering why I didnt take up fly fishing. There shit looked like it weight 2 maybe 3 pounds total.

Plus another ounce on top of that though...right :!: :?: :!:

I usually don't mind the pain, but, I've hung up my gear for this season.
Way to bust ass.

Post subject: before i was humored - now - i'm laughing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:39 pm 

ok p420 got taken on a bit of a slog by me - i'll fess up. then to see back to back to back bushwhackers and ramblers posting their mountian mishaps and adventures gets me laughing. i need to meet up with you folks so we can slog together. i think honestly that is what makes exploring the backcountry so great. routes are not always obvoius nor easy. sometimes the harder the approach - the more i do enjoy finally riding - and there better be some good riding to be worth the slogging - that makes it ok. just slogging with heavy packs - i dont know bout dat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:46 am 

Oh, I dont know if I would say it was a slog Dave, lets just say evil forces came together and caused "Breakdown".( Breakdown Bowl TR soo to come) . Like I said, I still need some work on my "trail zen" .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:24 pm 

wow!

half the splitboard.com forum was on Adams last weekend. My GH and I ran into affixsnow from back East, and his buddy from WA on the trail above Morrison Creek CG on Monday 6/19. We were heading down, and they were cruising up. It was good to see so many farmers out their harvesting the Mt Adams corn bounty.