Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Split your deck for $110
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:32 pm 

Guy who does a great job splitting boards for cheap!

dean@mnttechnologies.com
http://www.mnttechnologies.com/

Splits boards, upgrades split components (screws etc), fixes dings, dents and holes. Check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:50 pm 

i dont mean to flame you at all, but i think this may tip the balance...

split it= 110
skins= 130
crampons= 75
interface= 130

total = $445

and if you didnt buy a new board (another $400), you no longer have a solid. on the other hand, you can buy a used factory split in good condition for around $500.

like i said, if you dont have a table saw, go for it, but is it really economically worth $110 for someone to split a board?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:06 pm 

Assuming you've already decided to split a board, then the decision comes down to whether or not it's worth it to you to spend $110 to have someone else do the job. Factor in the amount of time it would take you, and what that time is worth to you. Also consider that the people doing it presumably have a lot of experience with the job, and peace of mind knowing it's going to come out right. On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for doing something yourself.

Personally I've gone the split kit route myself once, and it was a great learning experience, but I'm considering going this route next time for the convenience.

Post subject: Bwahahahaha....
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:32 pm 

I'll split your board using my table saw jig for $25. Adding taper will be more, of course, 'cause you are talking three cuts instead of one, and I hate the math!! :twisted: Of course, then you have the lack of inserts to deal with, and the risk of ripping out the ski screws if you overstress the bindings...... I think I will buy a factory built board next, even though I've done the insert the board thing myself. Just have to find the perfect shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:42 am 

Didnt we see this before?

I agree, buy a used factory split.
If you can save up the $400 or whatever, cut back on beer and weed and save the other $100 or so to buy used........... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:03 am 

affix snow wrote:
cut back on beer and weed and save the other $100 or so to buy used..........

now yer talkin crazy talk...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:16 am 

InTheMountains wrote:
affix snow wrote:
cut back on beer and weed and save the other $100 or so to buy used..........

now yer talkin crazy talk...
:lol: :lol:

Yeah, more like cut out driving, fancy food, and new gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:03 pm 

Wow- great input I guess. I'm not retarded :) ...but thought this might be useful for someone who doesn't own tools, lives in an apartment, and has an old deck to cut up to start out. As far as spending $350+ on the split components- that's what ebay/ski swaps are for. Frankly I haven't seen a great deal on any factory split boards. If anyone has found a great deal on a prior (168 or so) I'd appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:21 pm 

jack wrote:
split it= 110
skins= 130
crampons= 75
interface= 130

total = $445

I don't think you can include the crampons in that calculation, because they aren't included in any factory split options...

Is that $110 just for the cut, or is the other hardware (touring brackets, tip clips, etc) mounted as well? I do live in an apartment and I have crappy tool access. Current pricing on Voile's site for the kit/skins is $150/$150. So it's really like $410 + board + shipping for a custom split. That doesn't seem too crazy if it comes out perfect and I don't have to drill any extra holes or glue anything. Still, I was able to find a used Freeride for under $500 earlier in the season...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:04 pm 

Quote:
I'll split your board using my table saw jig for $25.

Making the cut is just one small part of the process. In my experience the rest of the process takes way longer. I'm thinking of sending my already-cut board to them to finish! Again, assuming you can afford it, it comes down to whether it's worth it to you to have someone else with experience and the right tools do it for you, basically guaranteeing a good result, vs. the time you put into it, what you learn in the process, the possibility of messing up, etc. I like the fact that they use inserts for everything, and know how to fill the resultant holes in the base. More info here:

http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2414

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:22 pm 

Yeah, but you need to know EXACTLY where you want your bindings before you insert the board, and you get no second chances at fine tuning. Ideally, you ride the board solid extensively then when you are dialed in, split it and insert the bindings. Repairs to the base are easy enough, using base repair material to cut insert sized "dots" out of. Talked to a guy up here who was going to split one for a customer, and he was going to put in a short underfoot section of edge on the insides of each half. I think any experienced ski tech could do all the operation for you, including anything reasonably custom you wanted done. $110 is probably a fair price for all of the above, considering the labor intensive nature of the project. Oh, just looked at the website again, I don't think inserting the board is included in that price. Someone may wish to email them and find out. Inserting my board was more labor intensive than any other step.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:04 pm 

well this guy was recommended to me by a board company out of Jackson Hole. He is an engineer and does a great job I'm told- exact to the mm. Good communication and I'd trust him over a stoner at the local shop. Just an idea to people again w/out power tools or the balls to cut a deck themselves or the free time. I understand the ease to buy used, but when you're talking $500 for a used deck that you don't know the history of....kinda skethy in my mind. I'd rather use a deck I've rode before and feel comfortable on. Again- most used factory splits I've seen are upward of $750 and aesthetically look like shite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:48 pm 

Anyone know of anyone close to Ft Collins who has put on hardware for a board. I have split a Salomon Fastback 167, but am a little nervous about putting on the hardware. Who is the guy from Jackson Hole? What would he charge?