Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going Crazy
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:46 pm 

Well the crazy mountains that is. Bridgerhippy, Whit, and I finally got our butts in gear and got out ot enjoy some beautiful spring conditions. We decided to head into the crazies to a place I had been only once before. It was also going to be trekker's first skiing trip. We ended up getiing out late on friday and camping at the trailhead which has some nice sites and there was only one other person camped there.

Rolling out of for the trailhead

it was around a mile till we hit snow

but the river helps keep you distracted

whit skinning up

trekker enjoying his first time out

chillin at the lake

this was to be the original objective but we got beast to it by a lone splitboarder who we didn't get a chance to talk to. Another group also attempted the same thing and later said it wasn't great snow conditions.

BH sknning towards the ridge, we stopped short of the ridge due to time ans skied the wide gully far left

some views: Big Timber Canyon

looking around

Whit getting some creamy goodness

LLS and ghost

some others had mentioned a large slide that went off on their way in and this is what we saw when we were heading out. This is the same place they were talking about, but the rest of the slab went as we were skiing by.

This gives better scale(props to BH for getting his camera out quick)

I think there is a reason why they call them the crazies. Last year my friend was in a bivy next to my tent and kicked a porcupine, then we return to our hiking boot stash and find our boots eaten up and one of Whit's shoes missing. Thankfully ghost found the other shoe or Whit would've looked a little funny hiking out in down booties.

It was a great trip during full moon, but the moon wasn't able to penetrate the basin we were camped in. I think trekker had a good first trip by the looks of this pic.

On a side note I said to BH, "I wonder who that splitboarder was?" I even mentioned it might be Lewmt. Anyways nice job on that couloir, how tight does that pinch get etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:15 am 

Sorry about waking you guys up that morn. :oops: Didn't even see the tents until my dog was getting wound up already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:09 pm 

I thought that might have been you. No worries we were in full lazy spring mode. The other group said that the snow sucked up there, what did you think? We hit great corn/mashed taters snow where we ended up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:00 pm 

The narrowest part of the couloir was really firm. It was maybe 3 quick hop-turns to get through that part. Think I woulda ridden it better if it woulda been a little softer - next time. Otherwise it was decent corn - not sure why those skiers thought it sucked. I think they were just far enough behind me to go knee deep on some of the more exposed part of the bootpack up - where the sun had softened it enough, so they turned around early. i was waiting for them before I jumped in. I think that avy they saw on the way in spooked em pretty good too. What a beautiful day that was. Even at ridgeline there wasn't a breath of wind.

Post subject: great avy pic
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:48 pm 

looks like a very nice place and a good day of backcountry riding....thanks for posting the pics! i really enjoy the pic of that slab breaking off the rock. do you know what aspect that was?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:54 am 

Nice pics looks like fun, Tracker is lucky to have a wiley veteran in Ghost to learn from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:38 pm 

Sweet, killer pics! Amazing setting! Big Timber is one of the sickest creek runs in North America for you kayakers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:20 pm 

Funny how Trekker's first trip was to the Crazies?!? Looks like the mountains may have worn off on him. :lol: Lucky dog!!!

Awesome trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:55 am 

Yeah... I think Trekker deserves a cross-post here.

What a heartbreaker!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:01 pm 

Crazies are still looking good. Nice TR! Maybe we'll all have to meet up there in the next few weeks...