Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trip to mineral king after memorial weekend
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:54 am 

been wanting to get up to the pear lake area - the end of mineral king rd. to do some late season boarding. would like to car camp and maybe do an overnight tour of the area. if anyone would like to join me lets pick some dates out and plan a trip!

also does anyone know if the rd is clear yet? i would go sooner but the info i found about the rd closure says memorial weekend it is open.

aloha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:07 am 

I want to head up that way but won't be able to for awhile. When were you planning on going? Have you splitted back there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:06 am 

Pear lake is out of wolverton not Mineral King. The road to Mineral King generally opens up Memorial day but with all the snow who knows. I've never splitted in Mineral King but it has been a goal of mine for a while now. Let me know what the plan is. My weekends are free after memorial day.

Be well, Peace.

Post subject: this weekend? 5/19/06
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:10 am 

hi,

I'm looking to go to Sequoia this weekend. Have a free place to stay in Three Rivers, which means driving up to Wolverton for the day on Saturday, then all day on the split before heading back to the house, or camping in the snow works too.

Still working out the details, but might be able to leave Santa Barbara at noon on Friday.

feel free to email me:

themarshall22@yahoo.com

cheers - Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:02 pm 

I'd sign up for a trip into Mineral King area.

Ecobrad, wouldn't that be heading down for you?

ah...somebody organize a rally.

Post subject: this weekend? 5/19/06
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:17 pm 

Mineral King is still closed, but we could go to Panther Gap this weekend, near Pear Lake. I've done two trips to Pear Hut already this winter, but I'm dying to go check the corn conditions.

We usually do day trips from my family's house in Three Rivers, but I'm down to camp on or near the hump(on the way to Pear).

Gotta leave mid-day Sunday, but have all day Sat.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:37 pm 

mtnrider wrote:
Ecobrad, wouldn't that be heading down for you?

Yeah, Three Rivers is a couple hours from my house. I'd be stoked to hit up that area. I'm busy for awhile though. First free weekend I have isn't till the end of June. By that time Tioga and Sonora will be open.

Post subject: pear lake area
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:18 am 

thanks for all the replies! so i'd love to go this weekend but i'm already tied up. those folks who posted about going this weekend - you should hook up and get out there - then let me know how it wuz :)

memorial weekend i wuz going to baja for a camp/surf trip so i am free anytime after that. i assumed the pear lake area was at the end of mineral king based on the trip info from ritchins 50 classic backcountry descents. i have not been out there yet but thanks for the info. it seems this place has some good split/snowboard runs and is good for late in the season. will keep up with the posts and try to pick some dates, potential descents, and options for camping.

aloha

Post subject: MK / Sequoia
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:25 am 

guys,

Sounds like most of you can't make it, although I'll probably head up that way anyway. I'm running out of available days to go, I'll be out of the country for most of June. If there's still snow when I get back, I'd love to go.

If anyone wants to go this weekend, I'm about 80%, and if anyone decides to join, will be 100%. Got a cool cabin just outside of Three Rivers, most of the splitting is a bit of a drive from the house, but we've always had a great time up there.

Feel free to email me:

themarshall22@yahoo.com

I check that more frequently. Also would love to hear about future trips, and am down to go if there is still snow in late July.

cheers - Justin

Post subject: approx dates
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:12 am 

looking at the calendar it appears that the window of time for the westside dream trip will be from 30th or the 31st thru june 4th/5th or the following monday. if anyone wants to carpool/caravan up from the southland, i'll be coming from that direction, however i am not sure how long i am gonna stay on that side and when i will be leaving. looking to get some plans all dialed in before then, still plenty of snow i imagine. snowed quite a bit for this late in the season here yesterday and last night. cold and windy today in bishop - it smells like winter - mmmmm snow good!

Post subject: revised dates and road info
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:20 pm 

ok i called the info number and it said the mineral king road is now open!

i wanted to be there this week but the surf is getting good in LA LA land so i gotta harvest the ocean for some waves. now i'm looking to go to mineral king from this sunday - i think the 4th to the 7th of june. anyone want to join? aloha!