Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brewer
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:04 pm 

Haven't been that way yet this year but will check it out toward the end of May so I'll post some info.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:43 am 

The snow on Shasta is still HUGE...

8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:38 am 

Also, as of May 12th, there was only a 14 mile approach to the Brewer Creek trailhead. So if things continue in this vein, it might be reasonable to expect a shorter ( x < 5 miles ) approach to a reasonable base camp for the Hotlum-Wintun.

I was looking in the Mount Shasta Book and the difficulty given for the West Face gully versus the Hotlum-Wintun Ridge was wildly divergent. The West Face kicks up to maybe 40 degrees, right? That doesn't really strike me as ''extreme'' especially after looking over a 50 degree bulge on Darwin! Anyways, my wife has started to bring up "that trip to Shasta" which, to the best of my knowledge, is a first (her pushing a ski trip) and I was thinking that a good long weekend might permit doing both. But that would be quite a long weekend -- really, I think the term for that period of time is a ''week'' ;-)

Assuming for a moment that the Hotlum-Wintun becomes reasonably accessible by the beginning of June (or even Memorial Day weekend), and the West Face gully remains scoured above about 12000' as in the report, what direction are people leaning in for route selection?

I guess if an elevator-shaft descent is called for, there's always the Trinity Chutes... but I have no idea how one would get back towards either Hidden Valley or the vicinity of Brewer Creek base camp in that event. But anyone who wants to descend the chutes probably is not interested in group dynamics anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:16 pm 

ttriche wrote:
what direction are people leaning in for route selection?

I've got a trip planned for the first weekend in June and am leaning towards a base camp at either Horse Camp or Hidden Valley, depending on conditions. Assult route and decent will also depend on conditions but am leanding toward Casaval Ridge or Cascade Gultch. I'm no master trip planner though. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:25 pm 

A buddy and I climbed Shasta via Casaval and a delluded west face detour on Friday 5/12. Great climbing conditions, fun but pretty crappy riding conditions. At 1pm it was still rock hard on misery hill and too hard high on avi gulch.

We skinned up a ways toward Casaval, but certainly carried out splits on our backs more than we skinned. (Since my bro doesn't have split crampons i left mine in the car. I'm sure we could have skinned much higher with them.)

There is a ton of snow on the mountain. Although a little less in the west face/hidden locales.

Casaval

Rad snow rime on red rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:07 pm 

ttriche wrote:
The West Face kicks up to maybe 40 degrees, right? That doesn't really strike me as ''extreme'' especially after looking over a 50 degree bulge on Darwin!

It's all relative. :) I don't think Shasta has too many eastern-Sierra-super-steep-narrow-shot-dropping-through-huge-granite-walls types of lines, but it makes up for that in the sheer enormity of the mountain. And other things to worry about, like crevasses. West Face is a great run. At the top, there are a couple different entrances to lookers left of the main line that are a little steeper.

Post subject: Shasta?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:39 pm 

Don't know if there is still interest but...Did a skin up from bunny to the top of Giddy on Friday, snow all the way from the lot, sweet corn back down.

I hear its 10 miles into Brewer currently.

Food for thought.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:13 pm 

I'm planning on making the drive from Washington to Shasta real soon with one other. Who else is going and when? Ecobrad, jimw, shasta, others, anybody? I can take off anyday to accomodate the weather window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:57 am 

the forecast for this weekend the weather supposed to clear up. and looking at Shasta's web site, the condition seems pretty good right now. I'm thinking about going this weekend so let me know if interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:53 am 

What's up slut? I can't make it this weekend but hope to soon. I'll keep in touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:27 am 

Anybody want to go July 8-10?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:22 pm 

anyone going up June 24 and 25?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:13 am 

PJ,

I'm thinking about heading up tomorrow night and riding Saturday. Gimme a buzz! :)