Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Work Bench Ideas
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:57 pm 

I need a better set-up in my garage for board tuning. Who's got some tricked out work bench shit. I'm not looking to buy any of the latest clamps or anything, just something that works for holding the board to sharpen edges and wax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:23 pm 

Sweet idea. I'm in the same boat. My bench also needs to support bike maintenance and general household shit. Mine current set-up is definetly not tricked out but gets the job done.

I have a hard time spending a lot of money tools, bike stands, etc. Even though I know they pay off in the long run I have so much gear I want to buy NOW which would contribute much more to my general level of stokedness.

Post subject: Re: Work Bench Ideas
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:21 am 

powderjunkie wrote:
I need a better set-up in my garage for board tuning. Who's got some tricked out work bench shit. I'm not looking to buy any of the latest clamps or anything, just something that works for holding the board to sharpen edges and wax.

Do you have any C-clamps or some of those rubber coated quick release clamps are even better as they won't mark anything.

I made my own work bench out of .750" thick plywood. I made it so it has a 12" deep tub then I put about (4) 2x2" boards across so I can flip my board upside down w/ the binding on it to wax and scrape. This way the excess wax goes into my tub and not on the floor. When I'm working on my bikes and other stuff, I have a top section on hinges that I just set down and cover the tub area. I'll try to get some pictures up.

Tools rule Ecobrad! I built my own house just so I could build my own tool shop up!
:D I have almost as much fun wrenching on my stuff as I do using it.
Not to mention I probably wouldn't have as many toys if I couldn't work on them myself. Too expensive to take to the mechanic every time I need something little done.

Post subject: Re: Work Bench Ideas
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:22 am 

ah! what's w/ the double posts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:48 am 

I've thought of mounting rubber coated quick release clamps on a work bench for edge tuning. The tub idea sounds sweet. I hate trying to sweep up wax off the floor, then you track it everywhere. Pic's please.

Knucklesplitter has nothin' to worry about though. Knucklesplitter doesn't wax his board, he might go too fast. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:50 am 

double post :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:01 am 

Quote:
I built my own house just so I could build my own tool shop up!

Were you able to use construction loan money to buy your tools? I just don't have hundreds, if not thousands of disposable dollars to spend on my hobbies. I have enough tools to keep up an acre w/ a pool, landscaping, garden, and medium complexity plumbing and electrical.
Quote:
I have almost as much fun wrenching on my stuff as I do using it.

Not me. I don't mind doing it. I enjoy actually enjoy it, but not even close to riding. I'd rather build a dog house than wrench on my bike.
I don't care how much wrenching for myself I did, I'd never have as many tools as you. :mrgreen:
Quote:
Too expensive to take to the mechanic every time I need something little done.

I rarely take my bike to the shop. If I do I usually dissapointed in the quality of the work, i.e. I can do it better myself. I care! I have a couple hundred dollar Park home mechanic tool kit and do all my own work except wheel building/trueing.

I'll be teaching myself how to maintain my boards better this winter. I haven't really had to do too much board maintenance to this point. I've only had two boards in the last 5 or 6 years and friends have helped wax and grind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:37 am 

re the double posts...the forum has some bugs right now.

sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:34 am 

*Bump*
Better late than never, right?

Post subject: sweet
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:07 pm 

That set-up is rad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:14 pm 

Thanks Tommy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:38 pm 

thats a great bench idea. do you have a vice elsewhere for the edges, or are there slots underneth your board?
ryon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:13 pm 

Glad you like it guys.

I have some T clamps designed up on CAD here @ work but haven't had time to make them yet.

I cheese out for now and just use some Irwin soft clamps and clamp it to the front piece of plywood. If you look you can see another piece on the ground. I throw that up on top when I want a flat surface.

It's most convenient for clean up after scraping though, you don't have too. That is the my most favorite feature.

At the time I bought 3/4 plywood, it was maple though I think because it had a much nicer surface finish on it than regualr ply. I think it took me 3 sheets of 4' x 8' and cost $100. There is also a little shelve underneath the tub I put my tools on.