Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cants
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:33 am 

Ive decided i need cants...and bad. Im headin out to Washinton State to do some Riding in June and wanna be prepared.

I called VOILE and they siad they dont have anything in the attic, so to speak.

Anyone have any suggestions on making them? Types of material to use? And i know im gonna need longer screws as well, so any suggestions on how long/what type/where to get......

Oh, and if anyone has any cants they wanna get rid of...yeah, ill take em!

Thanx for ANY help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:28 pm 

Use the search function, type in cants, and look for a thread from '04 that has a post from Jogi in it. It shows his homemade cants and will give you a start point if you can picture in your mind what you need to do from there. Get a block of ultra high density plastic for material. If it's a factory split, use the jig for the pucks to hold your pucks over the block to locate the holes in the block, and drill 'em out. Now go find a machinist that can machine your block on 2 axis, then cut them apart and enjoy. Clear as mud? Oh, btw, where you gonna be out here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:38 pm 

hey affix! jon is right! :D
the thread has the subject "Cants". there you find pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:51 am 

Here is a link to Jogi's topic with the pictures.

Personally I am very lazy and simply purchased a pair of canting strips from Tognar Toolworks... we'll see if mine work as well as Jogi's.

Post subject: Duh....
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:56 pm 

Oops, I'd forgotten all about them! That may be the way to simplify things if you don't need too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:07 am 

Thanx guys. I did use th search and saw Jogi's, but was curious if anyone had anything else to offer.

I Did like the Tognar idea though!!!!
http://www.tognar.com/binding_tools_boo ... board.html

So what "Degree" are people goih with? Its says 1degree = 1.5mm. They offer up to a 3 degree.....

Sounds sweet. Less guessing on angles and i can get the longer screws....although part of me wants to do it myself for the challenge.

Jon, my buddy, Nick B. on this site, moved down to Seattle. Im flying out June 14th for a week. We are gonna definately Hit Baker. Then we'll take it from there.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:23 pm 

Tognars will work for you if you only want cant. If you need heel lift too, you will have to brew up your own. The one on my split (rear foot) has monster heel lift, over three degrees and about one and a half cant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:48 pm 

Jon Dahl wrote:
Tognars will work for you if you only want cant. If you need heel lift too, you will have to brew up your own. The one on my split (rear foot) has monster heel lift, over three degrees and about one and a half cant.

Not to sound completely retarded, but HEEL LIFT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:11 pm 

Yes, as in lifting the rear of the boot up, as opposed to tipping the boot side to side to bring your knee in. Bomberonline has a good article on cant/lift in the tech articles, "cant and lift" thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:28 pm 

i couldnt figure out how to make cant plates in a mill. its easy to hold the part at one angle, but i couldnt figure out how to get it "canted" on two angles. any one have any ideas :?:

Post subject: Don't do this.... anywhere!
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:03 pm 

I did mine in my table saw! I did risk a finger doing it, and highly recommend against that method, but I was desperate to "get 'er done". You would need a two axis vise, and hold the block by the area that would be the thickest finished part. Much scratching of head and puzzled looking should get you there! PS Jack, won't your mill at school have a vise like this, or a head that will work on two axis' at the same time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:12 pm 

we have an "a-axis" for all the mills, some of which tilt, but i dont think you could hold a thin piece of plastic on one of those. they aren't vices, but 4-jaws. i could suface one on the cnc mill, but i would probably never get around to it, it would be a lot of work. sounds like the table saw worked though, right on. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:56 am 

Jack, how about this? Find the center of one of the cants, the thicker one, drill a small hole in the middle of that area, and bolt it to the table. Then set up the mill to work around that area, and when finished, just drill that thick section out? No vise jaws to deal with, work bolted directly to the table. Might work.