Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt Shasta in June?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:38 pm 

Hi all,
I am looking to put together a trip to Shasta and looking for other splitboarders to join me. I was thinking about early june or possibly july depending on the conditions.

I have been to shasta twice, once on a sucessful climb to the summit and the other time well lets just say I have never been in winds so intense (my tent was the only casulty of that trip).

I have been splitboarding for 5 years mostly in the Tahoe backcountry and have limited mountaineering experience (ASI AVI I Cert). Looking for intermediate/experienced partner(s) for a fun trip.
Cheers,
Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:07 am 

I am interested.

Where do you split out of Reno? We should hook up for some turns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:08 am 

Interested, please post any updates as to your itinerary.

Would be stoked to descend Diller Canyon and the Hotlum-Wintun (maybe) in addition to the West Face. Last year I skinned up to the Casaval and scrambled up that to Red Banks before turning around at around 8AM (hey, that's what time the Fifth Season people said to turn around). Descended on what was basically boilerplate. This time around I would prefer to take a lightweight pack from Hidden Valley base camp and descend from the summit (or the top of Shastina in the case of Diller Canyon) at a bit more leisurely pace, seeing as to how conditions were a lot more favorable later in the day. Fool me once... ;-)

My wife will be with me as per last year, so if you want to meet up just for a day (eg. Diller), that's cool, I think we will camp at Hidden Valley and leave my Megamid set up. My wife will probably come with me for the West Face at least. I don't know if she is up for the Hotlum-Wintun (or if I will even have time to scurry around to the other side of the mountain) but if I have the option, I will.

The Casaval ridge was a lot less exciting than I had heard... my time would have been better spent skinning around to Hidden Valley and going up from there. In any event, I really enjoyed the trip (failure to summit notwithstanding) and intend to make it a yearly outing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:20 pm 

Im in for a Shasta trip, didit last tear in mid August. What are you talking , East side ? I want to try to skin all the way up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:44 pm 

Not really a hijack, but maybe a "sidejack" :?: . Here are a few thoughts. 8 AM seems like a pretty crazy turnaround time for Shasta in spring/summer conditions. When we were there last year, we left the summit around 12:30. We were on the West Face at 1:30 and it was primo. This was on July 4th!

Hidden Valley/West Face is a classic. So is Hotlum-Wintun. On that same trip people were dropping off the summit down the east side on what I bet was primo corn. I've also been there in horrendous conditions (boilerplate up top, suncups down lower), so it depends.

Diller Canyon... that brings back some memories. For comedic relief (and maybe to prevent similar mistakes), let me tell you about my one experience there. I was stoked from my first Shasta trip, a guided trip with MAS at the end of May several years ago where we summited and descended from the summit through West Face on perfect corn. So I decided I wanted to get back up there again, read about Diller Canyon in the book, and figured I would make a solo trip up there. Lesson #1: Take someone else so they can smack you when you are making stupid decisions. I arrived at night, and the logging roads back in that area are a complete maze even in the daylight. So I drove in somewhere by Black Butte and bivied. At first light I tried to drive up as far as I could. The problem with those roads is they seem to change a lot, so the map may or may not reflect reality. There is a lot of manzanita up there, and many of the spur roads are narrow, so expect to thrash your car. I was up there in a little 2 wheel drive Honda Civic. It was just comedic. I couldn't see how to drive up as far as I wanted, so I parked and started hiking. My plan was to hike up to snowline, camp, then climb and descend the next day. I could see the canyon, and the road I was hiking was going in another direction, so I decided to bushwhack straight toward the canyon. Big mistake. Manzanita is tough shit. I finally made it to the canyon, and figured I would just hike straight up it and eventually hit snow. What I eventually hit was 20 foot high walls of talus narrowing into an unhikeable creek. At this point it was starting to get dark, so I had to hike back down with my 70-lb pack (I was a noob) and find a place to camp. Of course, I didn't bring a water filter because I figured I would be melting snow. The next day, I hiked out along the road and found that it was like a 30 minute hike to the car if I just stayed on the road. What is it they say? Experience comes from bad decisionmaking? :)

Anyway, Diller looks great if you can access it correctly. If you camp in Hidden Valley, climb Shastina, and want to drop Diller, I guess the only realistic way to get back to your camp would be to climb back up Diller. There are also supposedly some great steep lines off the north side of Shastina. Would love to check those out sometime.

Here's a trip report from a guy who did Diller last year (descenting at 6 PM on corn!)
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_sn ... topic=2940

Another useful link:
http://www.skimountaineer.com/CascadeSk ... ame=Shasta

I'm sure the Shasta locals will chime in with info as well.

Re: skinning all the way up. I think it's possible, but tough. I believe fassy and PJ did that on the eastside last year. On our West Face trip fassy almost skinned all the way up West Face. He had to give in for the last 20 feet or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:50 pm 

jimw wrote:
Re: skinning all the way up. I think it's possible, but tough. I believe fassy and PJ did that on the eastside last year. On our West Face trip fassy almost skinned all the way up West Face. He had to give in for the last 20 feet or so.

Fassy Claus used his Magical Yellow Boots[tm] . That's no fair, so it doesn't count. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:11 pm 

Looks like Diller is more of a spring descent than a 4th-of-July kind of thing. I could see maybe doing a roadtrip in May for Diller, and then another in June (and maybe another in July for good measure...).

I still need to knock off Tyndall and Darwin before they go to shit. 3rd time's the charm on Tyndall, or so I hope -- getting kind of tired of storms up there :-) but I made a modest list of summits I want to bag this year, and Darwin, Tyndall, Shasta were the final list. All three are repeat offenders for me.

Shasta was beautiful last year, we went around the 4th of July weekend too. I was not very happy that the Fifth Season people tricked me, but such is life. Maybe they like skiing on ice or something. I don't...

Post subject: Sounds Great
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:06 am 

keep me posted on any updates. Sounds like a good trip. I have done some turns with nucklesplitter & jimw

Also tried some hot spring action with ttriche & his wife after some turn in Mammoth Area. That could be a story for high up on the MT. Also Can't forget PT420 since the SLC Splitfest action.

Anyway keep updates on the board and lets see !!

Post subject: Shasta
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:02 am 

I'm up for a gig like that; Hidden Valley is a great spot for options and a less crowded camp. I did see a pair of tele folks skin up to about 13 K on west face last year, ski crampons are a must if you want to skin to the top. East side short approaches will open a little later than usual as the snow is really deep. Diller looks funky this year, not as much snow as I expected in there, wind really moved it. I don't really care where so I'll keep an eye on this and just try to show up wherever.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:05 pm 

Hey Shasta, how bout being the point man as far as conditions/routes go. It had to tell week to week whats going on up there from this far away

Post subject: Shasta beta
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:06 am 

I'll keep everyone posted.

Did Green Butte Sunday. Got to the top about 11am, had to pow wow for about 1/2 hr before two fingers would penetrate. Great corn all the way to the lot at Bunny.

I had to boot two sections the snow was so hard early, I need some split crampons!

The West Face looks sweet, gonna check it out sometime this week.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:07 pm 

How long before you can drive to the brewer trailhead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:45 pm 

http://www.shastaavalanche.org/reports.htm

"Brewer Creek Trailhead: Closed. Expect 17 mile approach to a fully buried trailhead."

:)

Last year you couldn't drive to the trailhead until what, something like July? Sounds like this year will be no different. However I've heard it can be good when you can drive to within a mile or two of the TH, and start skinning from where you park, rather than waiting till you can drive to the TH as that often means hiking partway up the trail too.