Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: another Dynafit question
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:24 am 

I know at least a couple of you guys have placed Dynafit toe-pieces on splits for touring mode...

Did you place the Dynafit toe piece exactly where the 'stock' toe piece was, or a slightly different location?

Thanks!

Scott

Post subject: Mounting
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:22 pm 

Hi, I'm using Dynafit front bindings and Scarpa F1 boots. Wery satisfied.
I mounted the bindings at the same spot. -More than that, -I was not sure the screews holding the Dynafit bindings could be to weak at a wide bord. Therefor I drilled the Dynafits into the existing Voile front bindings. Easy, just had to remove the plastic part first.
Guess I could save a little weight by removing the Voile parts, but this way I rely on the strength, and it's easy to go back.
(Scarpa F1 is not good for Voile Mountain plate. -But fits perfectly at bombers. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:49 am 

yeah, i finally got my set up dailed.

i screwed the Dynafit toes into 6mm insert-set holes with 6 mm flat head screws. I had to drill out the Dynafit toe plate a little, but that was easy.

riding Bomber plates with Scarpa Matrix boots and have had zero problems with pre-release. totally stable.

also replaced the Voile heel lifters with some G3 double-wire heel lifters with extra tall wires.

took a lot of trial and error to get all this figured out, and now the season is drawing to a close. bummer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:14 am 

skinjob wrote:
i screwed the Dynafit toes into 6mm insert-set holes with 6 mm flat head screws. I had to drill out the Dynafit toe plate a little, but that was easy.

Did you use the Comfort plates? How long of a screw did you end up needing? I tried some M6x24 screws I had lying around but they were too short... need to buy a variety of lengths from a board shop I guess.

Quote:
also replaced the Voile heel lifters with some G3 double-wire heel lifters with extra tall wires.

Heh, metoo. I keep trying to get this shit done before each trip I go on, and it's getting very close. Worst case it will be way dialed for next season... I got a pair of BD crampons and the toe pieces that Dynafit sent me have the reinforced crampon grabber, so that is a good thing, but they extend further back than the TLT toe pieces on my skis, which means I have to either machine out part of the crampon or chop off part of the plastic riser plate. Probably will opt for door #2. If it's not one thing...

Quote:
took a lot of trial and error to get all this figured out, and now the season is drawing to a close. bummer.

Road trip to Shasta, Tioga Pass, or BC, or book a flight to Argentina... problem solved ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:41 am 

let's talk about the crampon thing..

have you got that dialed yet?

how did you find a crampon compatible with the Dynafit toe that fits the width of your split?

can you post a pic?

i was thinking about getting some crampons fabricated that would fit the Dynafit toe, and the width of the board, but that seems like a hassle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:43 am 

BTW, i used 14 mm length 6mm flat head machine screws through a 'Classic' Dynafit plate, which is pretty thin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:54 pm 

skinjob wrote:
let's talk about the crampon thing..

have you got that dialed yet?

That part is pretty easy. B & D manufactures a custom 130mm crampon for about $69 (same price as the Voile, more or less) that fits the Dynafit toe exactly. When I bought my toepieces, the woman at Life-Link suggested that I get the Comfort toepieces, and as it happened, they shipped me a pair of the 2006-2007 toepieces with the steel reinforcement in the crampon grabber. So, that was the easy part. Recycling the inserts for the center (front) Dynafit screw hole has been the hard part.

Quote:
how did you find a crampon compatible with the Dynafit toe that fits the width of your split?

I contacted Bill directly and he invoiced me via PayPal.
B&D Telemark Crampon (130mm custom width)

Quote:
can you post a pic?

Not mine -- I haven't got my toepieces mounted yet, due to the aforementioned irritation with screw lengths. I'm going to stop by a ski shop later today and take care of that -- I can always file down the sides of the #3 machine head screws to fit, but getting the thread pitch right is a screaming nightmare. I finally decided that the former (use snowboard mounting screws and file the sides down) is much easier than the latter (find 1/4" screws with 24 TPI and a machine head in various lengths).

Quote:
i was thinking about getting some crampons fabricated that would fit the Dynafit toe, and the width of the board, but that seems like a hassle.

Not if you have it fabricated by someone who does this all the time :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:24 am 

dude,

your're a trule stellar member of this forum!

BCR, give him a free t-shirt!

Scott

Post subject: ski crampon follow up
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:38 pm 

Just a follow up on the B&D Engineering 135 mm ski crampons for Dynafit...I ordered a set, and they came quickly in the mail. Slapped em on and did some skinnning locally, they work great. They significantly improve climbing efficiency on steep pitches. I think one expends less energy preventing the board from slipping backwards, and that extra energy is used to propel one's self forward. A good product. Can't wait to try em out on something icy and exposed, next winter.

Post subject: Re: ski crampon follow up
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:44 am 

How are you guys with the Dynafits making out/ made out w/ them?

Im thinking about going this way....THINKING.

How bout some Pix too? :D