Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Santa Cruz contingent
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:12 pm 

Besides wet, how are the trails holding up? No place holds water like the redwood groves of SC but shit, we've had a lot of water lately. I miss my mtb and am contemplating a Sat ride. Beta?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:09 pm 

Kind of a long drive for you, but I got some new trails I've built up here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:16 pm 

Hey Eco,
I rode up to buzzard lagoon via old san jo and back down thru Nisene on Monday. The trails were in surprisingly decent shape up top but pretty tore up the last couple miles approaching the first bridge. I almost always wait 2 days after a rain but just couldn't take it anymore... figured that big-ass fireroad could take a little more abuse than the single track

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:24 pm 

If you want to practice riding on mud (lots of it), then it might be worth coming out here. You'll get to see what it was like at Sea Otter last weekend. :)

If you want to ride in UC I would wait. It's been raining all week and is supposed to continue through the weekend. Looks like it will clear up next week though. Maybe it will finally start drying out then.

jibmaster I will make it out there one of these days!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:02 am 

Yeah, my buddy raced Sea Otter last weekend. He said he placed pretty well because it came down to "who could ride mud bogs" --not necessarily the whose the "fastest".

I pretty much knew it would be too wet but thought I'd throw it out there. Anyone going to Tahoe on Saturday? Wanna?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:49 am 

You boys should come out to Wyo. Been riding the sick gnar high desert single track. Been buff! No mud. Soon the mountains will be ready to ride. You all should check my link below...some of the best riding in Wyoming...hell, I could even put you all up in a couple of teepees and you ride right from the teepee door.

www.ramshornguestranch.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:00 am 

Sweet place, man. Is the s/t on your property or the NF? How many miles of trails? I would love to ride there someday. Are the s/ts prime during the Teton powder season?

Hey, is there any riding near Baggs, Wyoming? My guess the riding would be in Medicine Bow NF. My Dad has been hunting in that area for 20 years so I've seen tons of pictures and have been there once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:07 am 

Our property is boardered by Shoshone National Forest. We have literally hundreds of miles of of singletrack. We are getting into the cleaning trail season. Trees fall on trails a lot around here. There is single track riding in the winter around Dubois in the Badlands...decent trails, but I really prefer the big mountain trails...NO PEOPLE on the trails around our ranch...just grizzly bears, wolves, mountain lions, etc.

Baggs really doesn't have riding that I know of...I grew up about 30 miles away from Baggs (Cheyenne). The best riding in that part of the state is in between Cheyenne and Laramie at Vedawoo . Nice trails around there with a granite base to keep em good and hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:44 pm 

Eco, your buddy is right. I would add that in the DH at least there were some sections that were probably faster to just get off the bike and run. I am most proud of the fact that my time was exactly 4:20 - I meant to do that (SC represent!). :)

Wy_split, sounds great, I'd love to get out that way for some riding sometime. Speaking of riding in those parts, anyone been to Silverton for mtb? Sounds like they have a pretty crazy mtb setup in the non-snow season (sounded like bigger stuff than @ Whistler).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:37 pm 

FYI the SC trails are in great shape right now. I was just out this morning, got all excited and overcleared a jump I've done a hundred times and ended up taking out a small tree. Doh! :shock: Thought I broke a rib but looks OK. The trails are a lot faster now that the mud is dried up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:49 pm 

I bet they're in great shape. I'd be riding every day if I lived in SC. I don't know when I'm going to get over there next but it better be soon.

How's the tree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:31 am 

The bike has been seeing a lot of action since the sun decided to come back out. Let me know when you're out this way. I think the tree is OK, but we're still not on speaking terms, seeing as how I have this big welt on my chest that looks suspiciously like the end of a broken-off branch...