Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ski the 14ers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:59 am 

Any of you guys following Chris Davenport's quest to ski (from as close to the summit as possible) all of Colorado's 14ners in one season? He updates after each attempt at http://skithe14ers.com/

I like his humble approach to this whole thing and the fact that he doesn't just look for any line off the summit. As most of you know, this do skis burley lines well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:49 am 

I think Davenport's approach is in proper style. Gotta hand it to him - big props for devoting an entire season to skiing these peaks the old fashioned way, as he is a fairly well known "movie star" whos probably more used to riding a heli to the top. Looks like he's got a ways to go though, and it looks like the snow is less than great in the southern ranges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:31 am 

He is going for it in best possible style. I think there is enough snow in the Southern Range for him to ski them all. It's dumped down there lately. Wolfcreek went from the worst base to the best one in a couple of weeks. Of course they are now on limited operations but still.
The biggest problem is that he doesn't seem to be getting after it. Sean Crossen went after it hardcore starting at the begining of the year and couldn't pull it off. Chris does a 14'er or two, then goes to Salt Lake, Xgames, whatever. The focus doesn't seem to be there and this is the last month a lot of the 14'ers are going to be skiable from the summit. Then again maybe he's thinking he'll pick the rest off by the end of December. Not sure. I just don't think he's going to pull it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:23 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
Then again maybe he's thinking he'll pick the rest off by the end of December. Not sure. I just don't think he's going to pull it off.

Dav's plan is to ski them all by the end of this season. From his site: "Davenport plans to start skiing these formidable peaks on January 1, and continue making descents for as long as the snow holds out." I'm assuming that his reason for this is to eliminate any question about whether he did it in a season or in a calendar year. This way, he'll have done both.
Sounds like it's crunch time. He better get moving.