Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Hardboots: Scarpa Matrix

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hardboots: Scarpa Matrix
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:27 am 

So I gots me some cheap Scarpa Matrix AT boots...

1st off...this was the 1st time riding in HARD BOOTS. I was on my split at a resort. These boots were very comfy and rode great. I used the walk mode to ride in and liked it over ski mode. I dnt have other AT boots to compare them to, but i love the way scarpa fits me....(also have Scarpa Tele boots...)

Now....Hard boots in general....

MY VOTE: F*CK YEAH!!!! Hardboots KICK A$$!

All these "Not surfy" or "Not really snowboarding" comments dont make sense to me. I had NO problem riding in hardboots. I didnt really have to adjust my style at all. In fact, i ran the same angles as my strap bindings ( i do have a smaller foot so this might not work for everyone) I just charged it and the boots delivered. I could ride switch with no problem and air it out like i was in softboots. NOW, did i notice i was riding in an AT boot...of course. But was it that much different. NO. I thought they totally kicked a$$ and cant wait to get them in the Backcountry. Will i replace my softboots completely? Absolutely NOT. My softboots will still have a large place in the quiver, but they have a new pal to get stinky with.

ONLY issue, I NEED CANTS. I got alot of uncomfortable rub on my outer heels w/out them. Im sure when i get them (DJ BARNEY HELP?) it will correct the problem....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:22 pm 

At last someone to do the comparisions I'm to cheap tp try. ANd an eastener even.

Now you've been in the Nuptse's which are simiar to my bc combo of pmb's with tall liners. So A couple of questions for someone unwilling to make the switch:

what size are yoyu feet?

What is the sole length of the matrix'?

Waist width of you board?

Stance angles?

Stance width?

YOur age?

Any knee or ankle injuries or problems?

Are you a skier also?

Do you see yourself trying the glades or say, right gully at Tucks in the hardboots?

I tried hardboots a while ago and found them all power and no feel, was that you experience?

Thanks, Spencer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:47 am 

Spencer wrote:
At last someone to do the comparisions I'm to cheap tp try. ANd an eastener even.

Now you've been in the Nuptse's which are simiar to my bc combo of pmb's with tall liners. So A couple of questions for someone unwilling to make the switch:

what size are yoyu feet? 9

What is the sole length of the matrix'? ????

Waist width of you board? 25+ ?

Stance angles? 20 front 10 rear?

Stance width? ????

YOur age? 26

Any knee or ankle injuries or problems? Rebuilt right knee.

Are you a skier also? Telemark

Do you see yourself trying the glades or say, right gully at Tucks in the hardboots? I see riding them in all BC conditions...I Got them with Tux in mind.

I tried hardboots a while ago and found them all power and no feel, was that you experience? Lots of feel i thought...

Thanks, Spencer

Hope that helps....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:12 pm 

I agree, the Scarpa Matrix are SWEET hardboots.

I've got three BC tours on mine, and I could not be happier.

Been riding them with low angles, in 'walk' mode, but buckled up pretty tight.

They hook up real nice with the Bomber split bindings, no problems there.

I'm very happy with em.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:26 pm 

Hey, affix, I think that your heel bails are upside down in that picture! You need to reverse them so the flat area matches the shelf area on your boots. Otherwise, good lookin' boots. I may have to try some out some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:00 am 

Jon Dahl wrote:
Hey, affix, I think that your heel bails are upside down in that picture! You need to reverse them so the flat area matches the shelf area on your boots. Otherwise, good lookin' boots. I may have to try some out some day.

Really? I dont think so....its still the curved part of the bail around the heel....the curved part would not fit in the straight slot on the underside....

AM i really missing somehting here?

QUESTION:

Am i gettting pain in the oustide facing part of both feet, above my arches cause i dont have cants?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:55 am 

Heel bails definetly upside down. I doubt that your foot pain is from lack of cants, though it is possible. Try narrowering up your stance a little and see if it helps, if it does, cants could help, but I'm thinking a liner issue is the root cause.

Post subject: put 'em on the scale
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:09 am 

So there's much chattering about how going with the AT setup will save weight over soft boot setup. If you have access to a scale I'd be curious to see how the at boot + binder + slider track compares with your soft boot + strap binder + slider track, and maybe the weight of these individual components.

The other thing I noticed from your post is that you're like "These AT's kick ass and aren't much different than my strap setup" followed by "damn my feet hurt maybe I need cant plates". That doesn't sound quite so kick ass. Did you have foot rub pain immediately or did it take a few runs? On human powered days I strive for four runs so maybe the rub won't be as much of an issue away from the resort since you aren't doing as much snowboarding.

I did a cabin trip this weekend and was stoked to go with a really light pack, I didn't bring an alternate pair of footwear, just hung out in my soft boots outside, liners when I was inside. Do you think these boots are comfy enough to hang out in camp with? I suppose the liners would be about equivalent.

Post subject: Re: put 'em on the scale
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:19 am 

Will wrote:

The other thing I noticed from your post is that you're like "These AT's kick ass and aren't much different than my strap setup" followed by "damn my feet hurt maybe I need cant plates". That doesn't sound quite so kick ass. Did you have foot rub pain immediately or did it take a few runs? On human powered days I strive for four runs so maybe the rub won't be as much of an issue away from the resort since you aren't doing as much snowboarding.

I did a cabin trip this weekend and was stoked to go with a really light pack, I didn't bring an alternate pair of footwear, just hung out in my soft boots outside, liners when I was inside. Do you think these boots are comfy enough to hang out in camp with? I suppose the liners would be about equivalent.

Arent much different from my soft-setup concerning HOW THEY RIDE. The foot hurt thing is after riding the resort alot......But i do think it is a Liner issue now....my fault when i thrmofitted them.

I suppose you could "chill" in these boots. Easy in easy out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:21 am 

I totaly see now that the bails are upside down....thanx JON!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:11 am 

So can we call you a fruitbooter now? :wink: :D

Ps. Any pics to share showing us “kick assâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:20 am 

[quote="bcrider"]

Ps. Any pics to share showing us “kick assâ€Â

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:30 am 

Ahh be more optimistic bro! You still have the corn season at Tucks right? :)
Not everyone can ride blower pow in April. :mrgreen:

Re the Matrix, I believe greg from jackson uses this same boot. From what I saw of it at splitfest the buckle placement looked to be in the right spots (unklike my Lowa boots).