Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:18 pm 

bcrider wrote:
Speaking of the upcoming TPR trip...I feel really left out. What gives jimw!?

Check yer PM's...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:15 am 

yeah, any openings for TPR.

Lots of day packs to choose from, but finding an overnight pack that works for splittin' and carrying your board when needed, that can compress enough and is light weight enough to use during the day once you've set up camp, are few and far between.

The hip belt can't be too big or bulky or it compromises the riding.

Osprey probably makes the best packs for this (ceres and switch series)

I'm using an older Burton AK pack (4,500 cu. in.?) that is perfect for this, but I don't think they make them anymore.

I'm not a big fan of bringing an extra yo yo pack, but I know it works for some.

Harder still is to find a women's specific overnight, snowboard carrying backpack. Osprey Ariel looks like a good option for women.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:11 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:
yeah, any openings for TPR.

Check yer PM's...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:44 pm 

ChrisI wrote:
Also, right on about the snowboarding-specific brands.. None of them have been holding up to the abuse over the last few years. Think about going with brands like Marmot, Patagonia, Osprey, Arc'teryx, instead of Da'kine, Burton, sessions, etc. Well worth the investment, and the gear's designed and constructed far better.

-C

What experience have you had that makes this a valid statement?

My Arcteryx Bora 90 and Kamsin 62 have both fallen apart while my old Cirque Works and DaKine Guide, snowboard specific packs, which see equal abuse, live on.

IMO The Dakine Guide is the ideal BC snowboard pack. Big enough for a well thought out over nighter but small enough to be used every day. The back panel access rocks and it carries well both verticaly and horizontaly (although not intended to be done) for us cross-over sledneckers.

Does Patagonia even make packs?!? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:55 pm 

I have a ceres 38 and it's awesome, although too small for overnight winter trips. I was looking to get a larger version, but it seems that osprey no longer makes the ceres series? It looks like they've been replaced by the exposure series - any experience with those?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:03 am 

huFfer wrote:
ChrisI wrote:
Also, right on about the snowboarding-specific brands.. None of them have been holding up to the abuse over the last few years. Think about going with brands like Marmot, Patagonia, Osprey, Arc'teryx, instead of Da'kine, Burton, sessions, etc. Well worth the investment, and the gear's designed and constructed far better.

-C

What experience have you had that makes this a valid statement?

My Arcteryx Bora 90 and Kamsin 62 have both fallen apart while my old Cirque Works and DaKine Guide, snowboard specific packs, which see equal abuse, live on.

IMO The Dakine Guide is the ideal BC snowboard pack. Big enough for a well thought out over nighter but small enough to be used every day. The back panel access rocks and it carries well both verticaly and horizontaly (although not intended to be done) for us cross-over sledneckers.

Does Patagonia even make packs?!? :roll:

Easy there tiger. I'm not speaking specifically of packs, but of the quality of the brands in general. And yes, to reiterate, in my experience I've seen not only a difference in durability, but design quality also.

Glad yours worked out for ya. :)

-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:19 pm 

Good to see the different perspectives.

I myself have actually been interested in getting a new pack for next year. Unfortunately, my requirements are rather hard to meet.

Needs to:

Be large enough to accomodate 2 nights' food and gear along with glacier/technical/avy gear

Carry two ice axes and a picket or two

Carry my split in either split or board mode, preferably both

Pack down smallish for day trips

Be durable and comfortable

Right now I have a Arcteryx Bora 80 (I think) and an MEC A-Star daypack.

I've done the double pack thing, and my second is rather large so I can accommodate ice/trad gear, crampons, shovel, probe, saw, first aid kit, rope, etc. Using a smaller second would not be an option. If I could just find a single pack that fit my needs it would be great. That and an affordable down sleeping bag......

Suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:49 pm 

nomad - according to your requirements, Osprey may have exactly what you're looking for - check out the Exposure 66.
http://www.ospreypacks.com/exposure_66.htm
Its big enough for a weekend of snow camping and avy equipment, carries a splitboard two ways - ski mode via A-frame or using the Straight Jacket harness system to carry in board mode. The Straight Jacket feature also allows you to reduce the packs volume in half for summit bids. Its organized to carry a shovel, two ice axes, hydration, and has a rope tie-in. The pack is also designed to flex with the body, which is awesome for maximum mobility when boarding down and is super light weight.
I'm also in the market for a simular pack, and this one seems to be the best for extended trips (& for splitboarding) considering all the smart features.