Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: backpacks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:32 pm 

I was wondering who makes a good pack for backcountry boarding. I mite possibly be doing some over nighters next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:53 pm 

Something around 60+ liters should do the job for an overnight winter trip. It all depends on what you're planning on bringing. If you are going ultra-minimalist you could use a 40 liter pack or smaller. As far as design there are not too many packs that are 60+ liters and carrry a snowboard. Osprey, Dakine, and I think Burton & K2 snowboards make something in that range, but most are 50 liters and smaller. Marmot may have something since they are the formally Dana Design packs which had a Shove-it snowboard carrying feature.
Good features to look for are a dedicated shovel pocket, probe & shovel handle pocket, pocket ideal for skins with a drainage hole or mesh, goggle/sunglass pocket, map pocket, helmet holder, removeable foam back-pad (doubles as a bivy pad), easy access to the main compartments, well designed snowboard carrying attachment (some are better than others), and a frame that flexes with your body. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Post subject: packs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:11 pm 

Check the black diamond avalung packs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:12 pm 

never mind the over nighter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:26 pm 

don't give up that easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:37 pm 

I've been really happy with my Osprey Ceres 50.. With some work, I bet you could do a night or two ines a Ceres 38, but even the 50 felt pretty tight until I got my systems dialed (an ongoing process).. Another thing to consider is go get a smaller daypack to piggyback onto a 40/50 liter overnight pack.. I've been thinking about using a Switch 14 or similar. I think it was bcr with this setup.. he might have some input.

-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:44 pm 

I have to agree with Chris I, also Im an owner of the Osprey Ceres 50. I have done a weekend with mine, had to strap my bag and tent to the bottom but wa able to trek to saddlebag with no problems. When I get to camp it is small enough to use as a day pack. What seperated the good from the bad for me was the strapping system for snowboards. The only packs that met my standards on that were osprey ceres, Black Diamond and arcterxy . Now Mountain Hardware is making packs so I would check those out too. I wouldnt buy any pack made by a snowboard company because I feel it wont hold up to the backcountry. Clothing is the same in my opion. Best bet is to go to REI, have yourself sized, carry what you plan to carry in the BC with you , pull a pack down and stuff it. Thats the best way to tell what size you need. And as others have said you tend to carry more the first season that the second, because you will learn to pack llighter and lighter

Post subject: Re: packs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:00 pm 

docwild wrote:
Check the black diamond avalung packs.

hi chris,

Can you please expand on the snowboard carrying compatibility of these packs? I was under the impression that they won't carry a board but in another thread you said they would.

Based on these pics from www.telemarktips.com it's difficult to tell. I definitely don't see anything real obvious. Do the side ski straps reverse for vertical board carry or something?

I'm really excited about these packs otherwise. The concept seems great as it adds another layer of protection from burial.

http://www.telemarktips.com/FirstLook9.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:01 pm 

P420, there's gonna be a whole gang of matching Ceres people @ TPR. This should be interesting. Such a bomber pack; I've even used it as a haul bag! :twisted:

Also, right on about the snowboarding-specific brands.. None of them have been holding up to the abuse over the last few years. Think about going with brands like Marmot, Patagonia, Osprey, Arc'teryx, instead of Da'kine, Burton, sessions, etc. Well worth the investment, and the gear's designed and constructed far better.

-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:04 pm 

Hmm, I dig the avalung pack idea, too. If it were incorporated into a pack, I might be more prone to carry it. Dont know anything about them, but I bet you could get a sideways carry with the top-flap-straps, at least on the bottom one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:08 pm 

patroller420 wrote:
I have done a weekend with mine, had to strap my bag and tent to the bottom but was able to trek to saddlebag with no problems.

That's only because you bring too much other stuff. ;)

With careful packing and a good system everything you need for a few nights in the bc should be able to fit inside a 50L pack. The Ceres 50 is a great option. Its pretty light yet still provides comfortable support and can also carry a snowboard well (not all large volume packs can do this) for those spring approaches where dry trail walking is required.

While the Ceres 50 does compress great on small loads (daytrips) I'm a fan of bringing a smaller pack for this use. The Osprey Switch 14 or some of the Da Kine Heli packs are great options. You can store them flat on the inside or outside of your pack (depending on your system) and have a sweet little daypack for riding.

Ps/ welcome 270boarderman! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:10 pm 

ChrisI wrote:
I bet you could get a sideways carry with the top-flap-straps, at least on the bottom one.

horizontal carry sucks imho...unless you are on a sled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:11 pm 

ChrisI wrote:
P420, there's gonna be a whole gang of matching Ceres people @ TPR.

Speaking of the upcoming TPR trip...I feel really left out. What gives jimw!?