Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Burton Skin Question
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:25 pm 

Hey folks,

New to the group, but a long time splitboarder (~10 years). I have one of the original Voile kits. I recently decided not split another board for my kit, but rather just buy a whole new kit. I purchased an older (2002 I believe), but never used Burton Split on ebay, came with skins and binding attach plates. When I got it the other day and went to put the skins on it appears that the skins are backwards. Meaning that when I clip the skins on the board the hairs of the skins face the wrong way. I have included a photo of what I got for the skins. Now this may be a dumb question, but I assume that the clip that is riveted to the skins clips onto the tip of the board right? Well when I do that the skins are backwards. Also I am not sure what the other metal clip thing is that is above the skin in the photo. Am I missing something here with these skins or did they screw up? Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:40 pm 

wow, that's almost impossible to imagine. So, the last thing to make sure of, if the clip is hooked to the tip of the boards, the hairs should point to the tails.

so if that's really not the case, all is not lost. here's what i'd do, diy style. get yer drill, and drill out the existing rivets. get new rivets or use short screws and use thread lock stuff. attach clips to other end of skins. done deal. go splitting now.

oh, and i have no idea what that larger clip is for in your photo.

good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:26 am 

You'll be fine dude, your skins just aren't "set up" yet. You're putting them on backwards.

That extra peice of metal that you mention is actually the clip for the nose of the board. You need to fold the skin over on itself with that clip sandwiched inside and at the front of the fold. That's also the step where you need to adjust the length of your skin for your board. Then once you have that dialed in, you slip the nose through that front clip, and the pull the rubbery tail clip (the riveted end) into place on your tail.

Sorry I can't describe it much better but hopefully someone can post some pictures for you to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:49 am 

That's what I was wondering if I had to "set them up". The Voile skins I have now aren't like that so I wasn't sure.

Your explanation makes sense. So I am just going fold the skin over and stick it to itself through the clip right? Seems weird that they would do this on the tip as won't there be extra width of skin at the tip now? Also I don't think that there is enough space in the metak clip to get over the rivet at the tip of the board or the balck plastic clip either. I'll have to mess with it. I can just use my old Voile skins until I get it figured out.

Thanks for the info. Would love to see any photos of people who have the same skins to how you did it or any tricks that might help as well.

John

splittilps wrote:
You'll be fine dude, your skins just aren't "set up" yet. You're putting them on backwards.

That extra peice of metal that you mention is actually the clip for the nose of the board. You need to fold the skin over on itself with that clip sandwiched inside and at the front of the fold. That's also the step where you need to adjust the length of your skin for your board. Then once you have that dialed in, you slip the nose through that front clip, and the pull the rubbery tail clip (the riveted end) into place on your tail.

Sorry I can't describe it much better but hopefully someone can post some pictures for you to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:17 am 

jcocci wrote:
Seems weird that they would do this on the tip as won't there be extra width of skin at the tip now? Also I don't think that there is enough space in the metak clip to get over the rivet at the tip of the board or the balck plastic clip either.

The skin will be a little thicker (vertically) at the tip but not wider (horizontally - it shouldn't stick out passed your edges). My skins are doubled over for about 5 inches and they work fine, don't come unstuck etc.

Your concern about the clip not fitting over the rivet etc leads me to think that you're thinking of putting the wrong part of that metal clip in the fold of your skin. The solid part of the clip will go through the skin and the two little hook-ends will be the parts that go on the top of your board - with the rivet and black plastic clip in the gap between the ends of the skin's clip. Just like the clip at your tail.

I don't have any tips as far as setting up the skins because mine also came slightly used and ready to go. But one thing I have learned is to tie a little peice of twine on onto the rubber pull of one tail clip coinciding with the one "ski" that I put a sticker on. That helps me match-up the correct skin with the correct ski because the skins are asymetric. I finally got tired of trying to put the wrong skin on the wrong ski. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:44 am 

splittilps wrote:
Your concern about the clip not fitting over the rivet etc leads me to think that you're thinking of putting the wrong part of that metal clip in the fold of your skin. The solid part of the clip will go through the skin and the two little hook-ends will be the parts that go on the top of your board - with the rivet and black plastic clip in the gap between the ends of the skin's clip. Just like the clip at your tail.

Ok, now it makes more sense, of course the clip would go that way, seems obvious now that its spelled out for me. :) Thanks.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:17 pm 

That's weird... from at least 2003, the Burton skins have a riveted metal hook that connects at the *tip*, and an adjustable tail clip, and you adjust the skin length at the *tail*. You can kinda sorta see what I'm talking about in this pic. The tip is on my left (viewer right), and the tail clip is hanging down to my right:

Maybe they used a different skin design for the version you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:33 pm 

Yeah, I thought that was a weird way to do it as well. The way yours are makes more sense. Either they changed them after mine or mine are backwards, but will still work. I am pretty sure mine are from 2002.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:33 pm 

Don´t forget to check the width and cut the skin properly to avoid having the skin over the edges.

That would cause your skis to slip when traversing.

My split is a Face 157, and the skins were too wide for that board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:45 pm 

Thanks. Pretty sure I'm OK, but will have to double check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:27 pm 

They must have changed them. I got my board in 2002.