Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yellowstone N.P. touring
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:25 pm 

Me and BH are trying to figure out a good multiday tour in the park. We are looking at around 3-4 days and aren't super concerned about descents(however we would like a little ot the option to veer off course). Just seeing if anyone has done any touring there or knows of a good route. otherwise it is break out the map time and get creative. Thanks guys

Post subject: I hate you guys
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:52 pm 

Follow the snow fox, other than that I would incorporate the north entrance in there somewhere so you can hit up the boiling river on the way home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:45 am 

You might want to check out the area around Fawn Pass trail/Big Horn trail/Gardner's Hole - just south west of Mammoth and south of Electric peak. My wife and I have been there a bunch this year to practice our tele-skiing in the smaller hills. You could make a trip from there all the way to Rt 191 that will take you through bigger, more fun, yo-yo terrain.

In fact, there are a couple really tasty looking chutes on the west side of Gardner's Hole. This isn't the best picturebut it gives you an idea (this shot is from the Big Horn trail looking west. There's a steeper more exposed cliff to the north that's just barely in this shot. The picture really doesn't do it justice.

I've always thought a traverse of Specimen Ridge would be cool too and you could probably drop off of either side for some turns although the climb back up might be a drag. I also wonder about the winds on the ridge top - they seemed to blow pretty hard from the south later in the day everytime I was there.

Another whimsical tour would be to follow the power line from Mammoth, through Gardner's Hole and south all the way to Madison Junction. I'm not sure of how great the terrain would be for the entire distance but it would be like gliding on a powdery white highway.

Remember even though it's winter and you're allowed to camp anywhere that has snow cover, you'll still need to get a BC permit specifying the general area that you'll be in (the NPS permit system, especially Y-stone's, is a pet peave of mine. So I'll just leave it at that).[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:36 am 

... or maybe you should check out something that would take you to Mt Washburn. That usually looks like good terrain and you could pass by Tower Falls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:17 am 

You boys should definitely plan on finding a hotspring if you are in that area, but be careful not to poach the illegal hot springs. My buddies got arrested (ticketed) last year, and had to pay a $50 fine. They all said that they would poach it again and the fine was worth it due to the fact that they had not disturbed the springs at all (I'm not advising this). There are definitely some choice spots in the park and legal soaking pools off the Snake River.

I would second the Mt. Washburn area.

Mt. Washburn webcam:
http://www.nps.gov/yell/tours/livecams/ ... /index.htm

Good luck and look forward to your photos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:24 pm 

Well I just found out the snow coaches stop running this weekend so that kinda limits our options. Trying to find out a little bit more beta on Washburn the pics look nice. Might end up heading somewhere between cooke and tower for access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:43 pm 

I think that if you're going to Washburn you'll have to start at Roosevelt Junction and pass by Tower Falls. If you start anywhere near Cooke you'd probably have to ford the Y-stone river and climb some really steep slopes above its southern bank.

Don't fret about the snowcoaches, unless you wanted to spend near $100 each the farthest they would take you is Indian Ck - about 10 miles from Mammoth (for $14).

Check your maps for stuff along Pebble Cr in the Lamar Valley. Some people I work with have done some good day trips around there. There is also an ungroomed xc ski trail that supposedly takes 2 days from end to end. The Northern boundary area might be a good bet, cool terrain without the blue haze of Cooke City.