Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:12 pm 

I believe a while ago I said:
knucklesplitter wrote:
You guys are prolly right that the best place for the beacon is strapped to you...
Where I come from we call that agreeing with somebody.

Orangina, I hope you are aware that your absolutism and attitude make people much less likely to listen to and heed what you're saying. If your purpose was to brag and post about whatever that shit was you were talking about, then you succeeded. If your purpose was to discuss this and maybe change some minds, then you failed miserably.

BTW my avy class was on a "weekday", so HA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:21 am 

Camgina wrote:
The canadian level one course is a great course to take with tonnes of stuff to learn. Not to be confused with the American Level 1. I believe that the Can lvl 1 is equivilant to the USA lvl 4.

Not likely, since there are only 3 levels in USA, at least in AIARE. AIARE was started to standardize avy training in the US and make it more consistent with international standards. In fact, they say "Where applicable, AIARE standards and guidelines adhere to existing national and international standards such as those developed by the American Avalanche Association and the Canadian Avalanche Association." Hmm... Catch up on the latest dogma here:

http://www.avtraining.org/

Ecobrad wrote:
Guess what--I got straight A's in high school...I've met Arnold Schwarzenager...and I rip!

No way! I don't believe it!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:23 am 

Wasnt trying to be rude or absolute, just trying to relay my experince through instruction. I miss read your post knuclke and though you had said that i should retake my course :oops:. The mom things was a joke not attack. Sorry for the misinterpritation and word heavy message. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:26 pm 

Camgina wrote:
...just put your arms back and it will fall of faster than your mom panties.

I dunno. I think them panties might come off a little slow these days, being that my mom is an 83-year-old great-grandmother. That's my assumption anyway, since we don't talk about that too often anymore.

(She's the one in the middle)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:23 pm 

:shock:

My assumption is that we're so pissy in the forums because we are stuck behind a computer instead of a trailblazer. I think there is plenty of info here for everyone to make an informed decision on this topic.

Pass me the spark and let's blow this beeotch... Lets go ride.

P.S. knucklesplitter, you're mom looks like a very nice lady. Sorry she got dragged into this. Thanks for sharing a different opinion, it sparked some points that I had not considered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:21 pm 

jimw wrote:
Ecobrad wrote:
Guess what--I got straight A's in high school...I've met Arnold Schwarzenager...and I rip!

No way! I don't believe it!! :shock:

Ok, ok. I got a few A's :oops: ...and I've seen Arnie...and I wanna rip. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:17 am 

jimw wrote:
Camgina wrote:
The canadian level one course is a great course to take with tonnes of stuff to learn. Not to be confused with the American Level 1. I believe that the Can lvl 1 is equivilant to the USA lvl 4.

Not likely, since there are only 3 levels in USA, at least in AIARE. AIARE was started to standardize avy training in the US and make it more consistent with international standards. In fact, they say "Where applicable, AIARE standards and guidelines adhere to existing national and international standards such as those developed by the American Avalanche Association and the Canadian Avalanche Association." Hmm... Catch up on the latest dogma here:

http://www.avtraining.org/

Just wanted to update this. I heard recently that there are actually two different Canadian "levels" - one for avy pros (guides etc) and one for "recreational", which I assume would be backcountry enthusiasts like the rest of us. It sounded like the pro "level 1" was a lot different from the rec level 1, and that perhaps the AIARE level 1 was more like the Canadian rec level 1, whereas pro level 1 was a lot more in depth. I can't verify for sure but just wanted to point this out in case my post above might be misleading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:49 am 

This is true. Up here we have the Recreational Avalanche Course, which is just what it says, a basic introduction to avalanches. Then there are the operations courses - the CAA Level 1(observer), and Level 2(forcaster). The level 1 is a 7 day course, at $1250 the level 2 is completed in 3 moduels i think, each of which are completed over 18 days to the tune of $3100. If you want to read more check out www.avalanche.ca