Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:01 pm 

Killclimbz, I don't know if I'll be free that weekend, but I can definately steer you to some top-notch tours with furface. I can never leave my dog home and its not a problem to find great terrain outside the cottonwoods. Also other poster talking about trans from airport. and place to stay check my earlier post, Motel 6 down by where the buses start is like 40 bucks.

Post subject: Splitfest logistics.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:55 pm 

Sorry if i'm missing any of this from previous posts, but I've got a few ?'s

1. Is there a Splitfest tour happening on Friday? There are mentions of a program at night, and people talking about showing up in the morning, but...

2. Where exactly is the lodge? The website mentions a SLC address, but there is a map link that shows a topo of Brighton. How long of a drive from downtown, and/or the entrance to the canyon? Is the lodge where we will meet in the mornings before heading out?

3. If there are still spots left at the lodge, what are the accomodations like? Bunks? Sleeping bags on the floor?

Post subject: address for Wasatch Mt Club
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:19 am 

Does anyone have the physical address for Wasatch Mountain club? I'm trying to find a place to stay close to it for Splitfest.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:52 pm 

ssattler, I dont know the exact address of the cabin, but it is walkable from anywhere on the loop at the end of the big cottonwood road. First try the brighton lodge, a 5 min walk away, a no frills motel style deal with shared kitchen set-up --(435-649-7940). Next one I can think of is the Silver fork inn, rustic $135 with a good restaurant and a good touring start point for silver fork or willow creek/beartrap fork tours (good when hazard is up)801-533-9977. Availability will be the issue. Silver fork inn is a 5 min Bus/hitch/drive upcanyon to the cabin. I think everything else up the canyon will be big $$ like solitude or the rental homes at Brighton. Motel 6 (approx. 7200 south near I-15)at the bottom of the valley where the ski buses start, and the train which goes to downtown--$40/single

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:05 pm 

scoob

you're the man

thanks for posting all that info, i'm sure it helped a lot of folks

scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:29 pm 

scooby2 and other utah folk

it looks like the ski bus stops running up the hill from SLC around 5.30 pm on weekdays..is that right?

scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:41 pm 

I don't have a uta schedule in front of me, but that sounds right. the trouble is you cannot get up the canyon on the bus in the evening, and you can't get a bus down canyon after something like 6 or 6:30 maybe later, but I'd have to check.
For general info, Canyon transportation charges $30 one way airport to big cottonwood locations and if they are busy like friday pm, they may not take you if you have not made a reservation because most of their trips are up Little C. 801 255 1841,
I wish I could help folks more, but I am buried under class 3 responsibilities of grad school/family/work right now.
http://www.rideuta.com/schedulesAndMaps/systemMaps/05-06skimap.jpg here is a good map of the area with hotels listed and hey who is that in the uta picture with a voile 196 swallow?

Post subject: Details, details!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:02 pm 

Hey, a shout out to DJBarney. Can you post a few more details here, such as when/where to meet on Friday morning, what amenities the lodge has, such as places to cook w/ our campstoves, any running water and so on. Mucho appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:46 am 

Hey Jon, me and my buddy Joe are coming in on thursday night. We are staying at the national 9 inn in Salt Lake( south valley I think) . We wil be resorting it friday at snowbird. Dont think this thing gets started untill the party friday night,so if you want to hit up snowbird, let me know

Post subject: Splitfest
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:01 am 

The Splitfest starts Fri evening at 7PM at the lodge. There will be people in town that want to tour Friday, this forum is the best place to organize groups for that. There is no guiding at the fest, just many locals willing to show splitters our bc.

Touring on Sat and Sat will be in the form of many smaller groups (safety reasons) and from different trailheads, all based upon current avy conditions at the time. Touring is always a possibility right from the lodge, but most people will be going to various trailheads to start and finish. So, there won't be a designated time to meet at the lodge for everyone on Sat or Sun morning, except for the group(s) actually starting from the lodge. If a group is starting in LCC why drive up BCC to meet and then drive back down BCC and up LCC?

For Sat and Sunday touring info, be at the lodge the evening before the tour. For touring on Fri, hook up with someone here on the forum. We will have different groups for different ability/fitness levels, so all are welcome!

Bentley from Never Summer called and said he'd be at the Splitfest, so he should have a few boards to check out as well!

Only one more week!!! 8)

(801) 973-8622
www.voile-usa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:43 am 

Does anyone from the area have friday off and want to do a tour? If not, can any of you loacals recommend a book or website that will show some beta? In other words, if we get antsy and want to go friday and have never been in the BC in that area can you point me in a good direction? Also , what about Bar-b-que? Do you guys have any REAL bar-b-que places? Im freaking craving ribs and stuff and nothing beats good que on a road trip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:12 am 

patroller420 wrote:
Also , what about Bar-b-que? Do you guys have any REAL bar-b-que places? Im freaking craving ribs and stuff and nothing beats good que on a road trip

P420 Got munchies? :D

I would suggest heading into Little Cottonwood Canyon. You can park near the little church up the canyon (just up from Alta). Main skin track starts across the highway from Alta. Head up to the ridgeline. Drop off the backside(north) of this ridge for yo yo's, head left to Superior, or right to many many more shots. The lines off the north side are pretty stellar, or just hook up with one of the many locals heading up (really easy).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:14 am 

patroller420 wrote:
Hey Jon, me and my buddy Joe are coming in on thursday night. We are staying at the national 9 inn in Salt Lake( south valley I think) . We wil be resorting it friday at snowbird.
I am coming in on Thursday also, and am not sure where to stay. Am up for some riding on Friday for sure! Should I bring the swallowtail, or the race stick, or something in between!! And is National 9 good and cheap? P.M. me and let me know!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next