Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:29 pm 

i'm chime in another voice in suppord of BD's flicklock system. I feel very strongly that systems where you have to spin the two pole sections to lock them in place are GARBAGE. you have to get a significant amount of torque on 2 smooth aluminum shaft sections, which can be very difficult with gloves on and water/snow thrown in the mix. these latches seem to fail VERY easily as well, and it's terrible to be out in the middle of nowhere and all of a sudden have a pole that will not stay extended. the flick-locks from BD are very easy to operate and seem more durable to me, albeit a bit heavier than other systems.

Post subject: best collapsible pole for splitboarding?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:54 pm 

Black Diamond with flick lock for sure. On a weeklong trip last year, the three people with twist lock poles all ended up with a broken pole that couldn't be fixed with a philips or allen). The three people with BDs were fine.

Post subject: Whippets
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:48 pm 

To clarify about the Whippets-

What is offered changes seasonally. They mak a 2 part pole called the Whippet in winter. In spring they make a 3 part pole called the whippet trek. I have dual whippet treks, and when I bought them this fall they had 3 upper sections in stock. I took two of them. BD's retail store, pro form store, and online store all operate from different inventories, so you have to be persistent.

The Whippet Trek (the 3 part version) will not collapse as short as the expeditions unless you modify them.

I originally got the trekking poles with the non-flick lock lower section, and that adjuster failed on both poles for me the first season. Also a difficult mechanism to operate with gloved hands. BD warranty immediately gave me new flick lock lower 2/3 for both poles. excellent service. I would only recommend the full flick lock version from my experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:00 pm 

I remember when I originally ordered a Whippet, I was also ordering Expedition poles at the same time. The online sales guy at BD contacted me to let me know that I actually needed to get the version of the Whippet made for the trekking poles so that it would work with the 3-section Expedition. Good customer service. This was just the upper shaft section. I know have one pole that is a few inches longer than the non-Whippet pole when fully collapsed, but no biggie.

The flick lock has worked great. The only problem I ever had was occasionally the tension adjustment screw would get a little loose - easily adjusted with a pocket tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:48 am 

My lekis didn't even make it thru last summer. The twistys stopped gripping and a tube popped at the seam. Bought the bd' s w/ the push buttons, cuz they expeds were gone & sure enuf like the man said those f###in' buttons really suck on cold days. Flicklocks gotta be the only way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:31 am 

I am using the Leki 3 section poles. forget the model but it was mid range pole... $70-80 I think. they are adequate but i find the mechanism (the twist locks) pretty cumbersome in mittens and find myself really needing to torque them down to keep them from sliding (collapsing) under use. thus i'd say if you have the cash go for a better pole like the BD with flicks. ive seen them and they are pretty nice.

budget being limited, i'll keep the leki's for now until i lose or break them then i'll try for an upgrade. but i thought it would be helpful to hear what doesn't work all that well too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:50 pm 

Yoda wrote:
I'm using a pole from Black Diamonds new line of trekking poles for spring '06. They have both 3-season and 4-season versions. The 4-season models (2 styles) have duel Flick-Locs. The 3-season versions have the push-button adjustment on the bottom section (prone to freezing). What's cool about the 4-season version is they are lighter than the Expeditions, have an extended foam grip on the shaft, a straight hand-grip (good for climbing), and pack down to 25" (64.5cm) and extend out to 55" (140cm). They also have a replaceable carbide tip that will flex to resist braking - Expeditions do not have this feature. The one plus with the Expeditions is that they offer 2 size options... the smaller one packs down to 23", but only extends to 120cm, I'm 6 feet tall and generally tour with my poles at 130+cm (especially in powder).
For Splitboarding your using you poles for touring, rarely skiing... you don't really benifit from the design of the Expeditions (ski specific grip, no grip extention, non-replaceable tips) for this application.

Here's the BD pole I spoke about. REI has it now!
http://www.rei.com/product/47999663.htm ... AMPING_TOC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:59 am 

How about these?

http://www.bdel.com/gear/enduro_cf.php

I can get these for around the same as those trail's @ REI. Or just get the expeditions for 25bux less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:41 am 

badkarma wrote:
How about these?

I can get these for around the same as those trail's @ REI. Or just get the expeditions for 25bux less.

That pole is the exact same design as the "Trail", but it has a carbon fiber section to reduce weight. The "Enduro" costs $30 more than the "Trail"... how can you get the "Enduro" for the same price?

Warning - don't buy the compact version, unless you're no more than 5.5 feet tall or not using the poles in powder.

As I mentioned earlier, the "Expedition" pole is designed more for skiing, not touring. I'm rarely skiing for long durations on my split, so I appreciate the benifits from an appropriate grip design and grip angle for touring/climbing. I also like the extended grip for changing my hand positions for traversing... Exped's are void of this cool feature. Exped's are also the heaviest of these poles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:49 am 

Yoda wrote:
badkarma wrote:
How about these?

That pole is the exact same design as the "Trail", but it has a carbon fiber section to reduce weight. The "Enduro" costs $30 more than the "Trail"... how can you get the "Enduro" for the same price?

Warning - don't buy the compact version, unless you're no more than 5.5 feet tall or not using the poles in powder.

As I mentioned earlier, the "Expedition" pole is designed more for skiing, not touring. I'm rarely skiing for long durations on my split, so I appreciate the benifits from an appropriate grip design and grip angle for touring/climbing. I also like the extended grip for changing my hand positions for traversing... Exped's are void of this cool feature. Exped's are also the heaviest of these poles.

I'm in Canada. I was looking at the MEC.ca website. The Carbon Enduro poles are listed for 97CDN. 80USD is approx. 90CDN, so not quite the same price. But I guess 7$ more is pretty negligible. Unfortunately the Trail's are not offered at MEC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:14 pm 

One more vote for the BlackDiamond Expeditions