Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 171 Mtn Gun for a 'big guy'?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:29 pm 

I'm looking at getting a 171 Mtn. Gun, I'm 6'2" and 215lbs. I'm looking for an all around backcountry split for wide open bowls and trees in Colorado and Utah. Would this board be appropriate for me?
I'm a little leery of the Freeride due to the reported flex on the hard stuff.

FWIW, I use a 166 NS Legacy as my regular resort and backcountry board.

Thanks~ Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:31 pm 

I have a 'gun 71 and am 6'4" 210-15 (depeding upon how much I'm lifting) and love the board. My 'in bounds' board is an A-Frame 170 which I also love. I'm sure a longer board would float in pow better, but never having ridden one, the 170/71 boards work fine. I've ridden the 'gun in all conditions including 2" of fresh w/ no problems.

I have it set up w/ the Mt plate bindings & I use Scarpa Matrix boots which fit like a dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:21 am 

I'm 6'1",210, and my 171 works great, just finally getting some time on it at Baker in the last few days. Never had any problem with length in the trees, and it's great in open areas. I split my own Voile' board 5 or 6 years ago, and was very happy with it but it did flex more than I liked. I made a few runs on a groomed trail with the Mountain Gun, and was real impressed with how stiff it is. Skinning In deep powder was amazing, increadible float in everything but steep loose snow.
I've been riding Arbor A-Frame 170's for the last few years, but this year I switched to a Smokin' 172 from Jay Quintin and have been real happy with it. The Smokin' board is a better riding board than the Arbor, I have 6(? )A-Frames that have gotten very little use this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:11 pm 

i'm a lot lighter. 5'10" 155#
but i haven't found a speed limit on this board yet. the more i ride it the better it gets. it has a sweet flex, but powers through everything.

Post subject: Mountain Gun 171 too big?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:12 pm 

I am aiming to buy a split board (virgin). I have BC'ed in AT skis and carried a board on the back. Suck at skiing and have envied the splitters for a hell of a long time.

I am 5'11", 170 and ride a 163 K2 Eldo in-bounds (used to ride a 165 Gnu before then). I dig pointing a board downhill and putting the pedal to the metal.

The Mountain Gun sounds perfect to me from the reviews on it. I am leaning pretty heavily to the 171 over the 161 but just wanted to see if anyone had strong advice against as far as height/weight of the rider.

Awesome forum! Was stoked to hear that I could use my Lowa Strukturas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:29 pm 

Sorry - read some other threads and figger I should update my question.

I think the 171 works for me since I envision more open runs and not too many tight trees. When I am in-bounds these days I tend to stick to the big speedy turns over hanging out in the park. So, I think maybe a tighter, longer board that isn't so loose is more to my style.

Guess I sorta asked and answered there. But, any advice is appreciated.

Hey, any discounts on Guns anywhere right now??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:24 pm 

Here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:54 pm 

Muchos Gracias!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:28 pm 

6"4" 210 and I have a '71 gun & love it. Mtn plate bindings w/ Scarpa Matrix boots.

Just got back from a week long trip near Kimberly BC Canada - hut trip - got helicoptered in - boarded for 7 days & got flown out (averaged close to 5K/day elevation). Working on getting the photos together and getting some pics up here....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:59 pm 

Bodynazi wrote:
6"4" 210 and I have a '71 gun & love it. Mtn plate bindings w/ Scarpa Matrix boots.

Just got back from a week long trip near Kimberly BC Canada - hut trip - got helicoptered in - boarded for 7 days & got flown out (averaged close to 5K/day elevation). Working on getting the photos together and getting some pics up here....

Photos??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:24 pm 

I'm 6'-0"/145 and had no problem with the 171. Haven't used any other splits, and my first trip was a week in BC with 9 skiers. Did everything from crusty summits to ridiculously deep pow to tight trees. Skinning in narrow tracks was fine after I figured out the technique and edging traverses was good enough with halves reversed. Don't think I'd want a smaller board, although a tapered shape and a little more sidecut might be good. Used Bomber plates and Dynafit TLT700 w/Deeluxe liners (forward lean unlocked).

One tip - try not to mount the bindings backward for downhill! :lol: